1/18 Cobra Project

It's been a fair while now since I have been able to consider a return to the bench...what with life doing it's best to keep me on the floor but...with a move to another part of the country (Lincolnshire)...things have at last begun to settle down.

Choosing what to do and...with money being the primary obstacle...which meant Pocher's and the like were out of my reach...I began to explore other options...one of which is the subject of this project/build...a 1/18 diecast being the basis for it...stripping it down...and seeing just how much extra detail I can add...to lift it above it's humble begining.

Whilst there are some 'exotic' diecast's out there...with amazing detail as standard...that is reflected in their cost which...again...puts them out of my reach...but also denies me the fun of making something for myself.

I have been thinking about this project for some months now...and have finally taken the plunge...and started to gather some of the bits and pieces needed for it...primary of which is the base car...the 'Cobra' itself...this is a 1/18 Solido 427 Mk ll...which at £45 was something of a bargain.

IMG-4793.jpg

As you can see...not at all bad for the price...and certainly a good starting point for this project.

• Like 4

Those of you that remember my Ducati (Pocher) build...will also remember my penchant for adding details and finishes to my builds well...this one will be no different...although...in this scale...it will be a new challenge...as I have mostly worked in 1/12 and above.

Whilst there are many after market bits and pieces available in 1/18...many of those I have looked at are somewhat over scale...therefore...I have had to be careful in choosing what to buy or make...with some of the purchased bits actually being 1/24 !

Primary to any build...IMHO...is the planning stage and...to that end...I have drawn up a list of proposed changes/additions I want to make...and this is the list...so far at least.......

Cobra project: proposed detailing:

Replace or cover existing seats with leather..if not viable...paint existing seats and create new harness

Add sunblinds to windshield

Fit fire extinguisher to tunnel or back wall

Re paint steering wheel and add rivets

Swap out engine if viable...or.....

Re-wire and plumb engine with any additional wires and pipes

Add oil cooler radiator to front (below main rad) and add pipes and fittings etc.

Change wheels and tyres

Add shocks if viable

Replace plastic roll bar for metal

Fit upholstery strips to cover door screws and weak paint on interior of body

Add rivets to bonnet (hood) around air scoop and add strut

Open side vents above exhaust port

Paint and weather exhaust

De-chrome bumpers and paint/weather

Replace dashboard dials and detail and add switches etc.

Make new pedals

Battery plus kill switch behind passenger seat

Change wipers for PE ones

This list will no doubt grow though.....

Here are a few bits I have collected to start with...

IMG-4798.jpgIMG-4799.jpg

More are on the way.....

Edited by silver911
  • Like 3

Welcome back to the 'Active Duty' roster - nice to see you back at work.

A laudable project with a good start point but plenty of room for creative expression.

Now get to work.  :whip:

I will caution you however, to be aware of a certain, tin-horn, self-styled, 'Cobra expert' on here who can be an over-bearing dolt on the subject.

You can spot him by the small blue one in his signature........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always hoped I'd get to see some new stuff coming from your bench. I remember very well your attention to detail and learned a lot reading through your posts.

The base cobra looks quite good for a diecast. I'm excited to see how you're going to improve that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

I always hoped I'd get to see some new stuff coming from your bench. I remember very well your attention to detail and learned a lot reading through your posts.

The base cobra looks quite good for a diecast. I'm excited to see how you're going to improve that.

Hello mate...nice that you remember me...and my passion for detail...so nice to hear you picked up a few helpful tricks along the way too.

I have to say I am pleased with the base Cobra...a pleasant surprise when it arrived...although I am well aware it lacks the true 'Shelby' dynamic shape...I feel it has great potential.

Glad your along for the ride.

Best

Ron

On 3/7/2020 at 6:30 AM, silver911 said:

… the fun of making something for myself.

amazing how infrequent I hear this articulated. most often I read how much "work" is put into a project with little accreditation given to the satisfaction of creating. almost if it's a "given".

kudos for your perspective!

https://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2020/03/shelby-cobra.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ProgressIsFineButItsGoneOnForTooLong+(Progress+is+fine%2C+but+it's+gone+on+for+too+long.)

Edited by s.e.charles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, s.e.charles said:

amazing how infrequent I hear this articulated. most often I read how much "work" is put into a project with little accreditation given to the satisfaction of creating. almost if it's a "given".

kudos for your perspective!

Thank you for your comment.

For me it has always been pleasure first over work/effort...if you are not prepared to expend time and effort in the pursuit of pleasure...then there is little point in building anything IMHO

ATB

Ron

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Codger said:

What will be your method for getting that candy grape color off the metal body?

Don't you like this colour then Mr C  ?

In truth I have not yet decided...although a dip in brake fluid would probably do the job...from past experience...BF is not too kind with diecast metals...and oven cleaner is hit and miss...so...first up will be a trial with some 'ink stripper' I have from my days as a printer.........

Skipping ahead to thoughts on a new colour...I rather fancy Ford's ''High Impact Blue''...with Pearl White stripes...but that...as always with me...is subject to change.......

22 hours ago, silver911 said:

Skipping ahead to thoughts on a new colour...I rather fancy Ford's ''High Impact Blue''...with Pearl White stripes...but that...as always with me...is subject to change.......

I realize you are making a highly personalized version of a Cobra and colors are subjective. Stripes on replicas have run the gamut. Everything up to zebra stripes. But purely as reference, here's info on originals.

AC's left Thames-Ditton with a small but nice pallet of basic colors. No metallics or pearls. The hooligans at Shelby's plant picked a small domestic pallet to paint the team's race cars and a few custom jobs for customers. Guardsman Blue (a medium) and Viking Blue (a light ice blue)  were the basic metallics from Ford's corporate paint locker. Stripes were only applied to the team's race cars - primarily the FIA small and big block Cobras, 1964 - 1966. Several of the team's USRRC small block cars had them too. Privateer racers (customer cars) painted as they wished.

But the stripes were all Wimbledon White, a Ford color. Not a bright white, more a very light white/tan. In the current time frame, it gives replicas a vintage look and feel. Tamiya makes Racing White lacquer which is an excellent clone of it in correct scale effect. I even used it on my GT-40.

P9100006.jpg

The stripe pattern had a subtle distinction often missed or ignored by owners today; they taper at the nose and tail. The stripes were 7" wide and separated by 1" of body color. They fit inside the oil cooler opening and did not exceed it. From there up and at the mouth of the hood scoop they reached the width of the scoop then run past the cockpit.

At the rear edge of the cockpit, they continued the taper back to 7" at the rear body edge.

112-2.jpg

Be sure to study all night, there may be a quiz tomorrow !:whip:

• Haha 1

Nice project.

Having stripped quite a few diecast models, I can highly recommend using a paint-stripper-product. Get the strongest one you can and remove all the plastic parts before you use it as it will eat the plastic.

Legende miniatures has a large choice of upgrade parts for 1/18 scale cars, cheap PE-sets can be found at Tremonia.

Sincerely

Pascal

Edited by Pascal
  • Like 2

So...over the last few days some more parts have arrived for this build...along with a few bits I scavenged from another very cheap buy on Ebay...which means I can now look at starting this build in earnest.

IMG-4832.jpgIMG-4834.jpgIMG-4835.jpgIMG-4837.jpgIMG-4838.jpgIMG-4839.jpgIMG-4840.jpgIMG-4842.jpg

This now gives me a choice of 3 types of seats...with the blue vinyl ones requiring a sub frame...to raise them to a more accurate height...and 3 styles of wheels and tyres...along with various options for the dashboard.

Creating new parts from the PE sets...such as the wipers and pedals...as well as the harness...will give it a better level of detail and...add to that a possible engine swap...with associated plumbing and wiring...plus oil radiator/cooler...this will present a nice challenge in this scale.

Add to this other details...such as a fire extinguisher and smaller gear shift lever...and it will become more of a personal vision than a replica...I hope !

Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome.....

Ron

A word about Cobra seats; they sit on 2, 1" tall slider rails for fore/aft movement or bolted flat to the floor. Like 'flat floor' E-Types. If you raise them they will put driver above windscreen.

1 hour ago, Codger said:

A word about Cobra seats; they sit on 2, 1" tall slider rails for fore/aft movement or bolted flat to the floor. Like 'flat floor' E-Types. If you raise them they will put driver above windscreen.

Thanks Mr C...I had considered this...and to that aim I am on the hunt for a very cheap 1/18 seated driver figure just to get correct seat height.

30 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Thanks Mr C...I had considered this...and to that aim I am on the hunt for a very cheap 1/18 seated driver figure just to get correct seat height.

Save you the trouble and expense mate; here is the cockpit such as it it. Note the transmission and driveshaft are next to you, not below the floor. Holes in floor for seat tracks. Note the lower door opening is right near the floor. Also why Cobra big block shifters face fprward; the tower it bolts to is at your hip.

1-A.jpg

Here note the pedals pivot below the floor which raises them. Your heels are virtually flat on the floor when driving. That's a Jag E-brake which goes through the side of the tunnel on the pass side. That scattershield protects your lower extremities:

24.jpg

BTW- a 6' tall figure is 4" tall in your scale.

Edited by Codger