Royal Canadian Navy Sea Fury

Beazer

22 hours ago, Beazer said:

The resin cowl does not fit great with the kit part and I’m hoping I’ll only need a little filler to fix the area it attaches to

How does the kit original compare to the resin? Is the resin worth the effort or is the kit part able to be modified? I heard it's undersized but not by how much. 

Cheers 

Colin 

There are 4 parts to the cowling. two of them make up the center portion which fits together fine and mates nice.  Then there is the front and rear portion.  Both installed create huge steps and will require copious amounts of filler/ plasticard and plenty of reshaping.

I could show you a comparison with my other kit if you really would like but long story short...BUY THE RESIN AFTERMARKET COWL!

Also the canopy doesnt fit very well and requires some filler and sanding.

I installed the brass barrels and pitot tube today as well as got the bird all prepped for primer shortly.  Pics up shortly.

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

How does the kit original compare to the resin? Is the resin worth the effort or is the kit part able to be modified? I heard it's undersized but not by how much. 

Cheers 

Colin 

It is doable to use the kit cowl but easy is the resin..😉here is a linky to my build and I hope it helps you to make choice..

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Your project is going well, the nice plane you are building. The new Airfix isn't bad. RCN is kind of forgotten subject, I'm glad that you brought it up. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Looks great to me, then again I'm biased as the Sea Fury is my favourite piston engined aircraft, can't see the yellowing of the spinner though :shrug:

49707188011_c22233cb2a_b.jpg

Spinner, decals, action.

After addressing my basement and installing all new trim and baseboards I set out to fix that spinner.

Using a fine lining brush and patience I thought I’d be able to rectify the yellow by over painting and hand painting gloss.

Thought I’d test out fixing the shape of the tulip and I’ll be damned it worked.

Then I encountered these decals (Printscale) and the stencils.  Looked good until I tried to grab them with my tweezers to place them on the model.  They literally would fold over on each other as soon as I took them off the backing.  I had to Tim wit right for the decal to release and use my finger to roll the decals off so the shape and lettering didn’t go all haywire.  The bigger decals were ok and I was able to position the remainders but it’s been very time consuming.

Tomorrow I finish the remainder and then on to weathering.  Think I’ll leave the Bare metal for after the sealing coat and just before the exhaust stains are on.  Just in time for a break and then on to another 3 builds to begin in April.

• Like 5

She looks so pretty, I love a bit of dark grey, can’t beat it (well actually PRU blue probably does). That is a fantastically smooth finish you have there, which gloss are you using? Sorry if you have already said.

well done fixing the spinner, not that I could see the yellow on there.

Rob

7 minutes ago, rob85 said:

She looks so pretty, I love a bit of dark grey, can’t beat it (well actually PRU blue probably does). That is a fantastically smooth finish you have there, which gloss are you using? Sorry if you have already said.

well done fixing the spinner, not that I could see the yellow on there.

Rob

It’s Krylon Crystal Clear in a rattle can.  I was testing it out,  not a fan especially since it made my white yellow.  Also it came out a little grainy so I’ll be trying to find another easy method vs airbrushing the gloss and flat coats.

• Thanks 1

49721012153_166fb98c4b_b.jpg

49721862292_232120393e_b.jpg

Recalling and finishes on.  Leaving it with a very lightly weathered look if any at all, just doing that later.

The previous coat was too glossy so I put on a different coat,  too flat so just put what was left of my semi gloss tamiya on and it was just right.

Bare. Teal foil on the panels by the exhaust and then spraying the exhaust and gun ejection ports.

She be done soon.

• Like 6

49729367036_717ebcf720_b.jpg

49729683142_c17f95dcb1_b.jpg

49729367016_c27e288021_b.jpg

49728819773_d852645a24_b.jpg

49728819778_18240c5ea4_b.jpg

49729367026_e4284b7fd2_b.jpg

49729683117_925985363d_b.jpg

49729683122_b8b72aa136_b.jpg

and thats a wrap.  I think the very little brown I added to the metal for exhaust staining looks alot more than it should be with the iPad camera, either that or the light reflecting off the grey vs the blue background.

I can't wait to do another like this except it will be a late 40's model.

I really like how the BMF breaks up the greys and I can be proud about that spinner vs before.

Next will be a bunch of Spitfires and a little Black Lady.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1