Combrig Models what are they like ?

Hi

I am usually in the a/c sections,

but I am getting the bug to build some ships my great uncles and great grandad served on

a couple are made by Combrig Models, and just wondered if anyone knows what they are like before i buy as they are not budget prices and i cant find any alternatives 

cheers

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Combrig are well researched, well designed and we'll executed kits. They are a quality product. Like many kits of this nature though, there is scope to add more to them in the pursuit of realism and also an implied assumption that a) you know what you're doing and b) that the kit instructions aren't your sole source of knowledge about the subject matter.

In other words, there is to some degree a presumption of knowledge on your part unlike, say, a modern Tamiya kit which you assemble like Lego whether you have idea idea what the bits represent or not.

That's not a negative for me - but it could be useful for you to know before ordering.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend Combrig to anyone who already has caught the ship modelling bug.

• Like 4

I have only built one Combrig kit (HMS Glascow). They are little works of art. However, they are resin along with photoetch. Not one to attempt on your first ship model unless you have some experience with other resin kits (a/c, etc).

Hi 

thanks for the info, i will get some combrig ones in the near future then 

just ordered a trumpeter hms hood, to start off a bit easy, as i just realised  my last warship model build was about 50 yrs ago 

it is to complete as for the world cruise, when it came in to vancouver with my great uncle on board as a CH ERA 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just to note, Combrig (until their most recent releases) only included details specific to that ship on their etch sheets. They very often don't include generic runs of railings or ladders, for instance. The older kits will require you to source some railings.

Will