*done x 2* Finland - German built interceptors

vppelt68

Isn't this too weird 🙄? I'm linking here

the background story from the last year's Sharkmouths GB, for a build I completely failed to even start, that includes a link to another old GB, where I actually finished the same kit, and that thread has all the kit related pics etc stuff.

Anyways, I thought the Big Lanc build would benefit from a little 109 being built side by side with it. Or maybe before it... This is the last of my AZmodel Joypack Gustavs. Good to get rid of it, there'll be another Hasegawa Finnish Combo in my stash by tuesday :whistle:

So here we go again, hyvä 🇫🇮! V-P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hmmm how funny they show up then another build shows up in this GB.......glad someones amused! :fight:

They say there's no rest for the wicked......gosh I must have been bad!  :D

Welcome VP and all that stuff........

A Sharks Mouth in this GB is something different for sure.....though if @reini does that scheme I told him suggested he does there'll be 2.

Good luck VP, hopefully you'll Finish it this time! :rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This isn't an AZmodel Bf 109 G kit :hmmm:

2020-03-10_08-24-03

Let's forget everything I've written above for a while, and take a look at the reinforced Hasegawa Finnish Air Force Aces combo. Yes, the one I also have at my local post office, waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow. The reinforcement is a third Hasegawa Gustav which came in another combo with the Brewster (see Gallery). It will be spared 🙄 until later GB:s this year, I hope. All this talk about wartime Finnish Gustavs just pushed me over the edge and I had... to... build... a... no! two! Mersus. No more black and green Warpaints, but full RLM 74/75/76 scheme with toned down insignia and yellow theater markings. Qualitas potentia nostra!

2020-03-10_08-25-15

I will use the Hasegawa decals, except those that will be positively deleted, and plane numbers that will be from the octet of planes assigned to 3./HLeLv 24 in 19.6.1944 - MT:s 436-443. 436, 437, 439 and 441 are already in my cabinet and 442 was shot down 22.6.1944 before Finnish markings were painted on. So they'll be ylikersantti Eemil Vesa's -438, vääpeli Jouko Huotari's -440 or kersantti Kosti Keskinummi's -443 that I'll decorate these to. These planes were identical late G-6:s with high wooden rudders and Erla- canopies. The remaining three kits will be G-2:s.

2020-03-10_09-22-41

Enough talk, let's build them! I joined the tail pieces (which involved a slight mishap, the second fuselage halves had the low tails attached which I must spare for the G-2:s, so @Col. I hope you regard my future Interceptor build is still below 25%...) and once the joins were set I also attached the tailplanes. I modified the radiators, attached landing gear legs to their doors, assembled the idiotic single blade propellers and one turbocharger intake to the high tail fuselage half... Oh and the aileron balances too. Those are all the pieces left to build these two Messerschmitts, I believe my Lancaster will forgive me the break! V-P

• Like 3

Something tells me we're about to learn a lot on the 109 in Finnish service :D 

As for your spare low tail'ed G-2; still well within the 25% so all good my friend. 

• Thanks 1

ok VP, it's alright to admit you have a Finnish Bf-109G issue/fetish you're among friends here.....he says as everyone now takes a step back and looks for a quick exit!!!! :door:

The above post is way too long for me to read and digest this early in the morning especially before a cup of coffee.

So if I have this right, you're building 2 but you haven't decided which 2 yet and not the one with the Sharks teeth??  :S

Me thinks it's coffee time......and hot crossed buns!  :wub:

• Like 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to Finland - German built interceptors with an STGB due 2021
44 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

The second high tail fuselage is in progress too. V-P

Glad to hear that. For a moment I thought you'd forgotten something. Or were building the little-known twin-prop, trainer version, of the 109 biplane conversion...

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 1

I was waiting for the second Mersu Combo, that I´ll be picking from the PO in an hour, to go on with the second high tail. To be honest... For half a day I had completely forgotten I had that "spare" third kit already at home and I could use its fuselage and tail parts! Here they are all three, the second high tail still lacks its tailplanes and the to-be G-2 is marked with a rubber band - just to remind me it´s off-limits until November :winkgrin:.

There´s not much detail in the cockpit, but all of who have built 1:72 109:s with closed canopies know how much worth the effort all the extra detailing would be. I have added the fuel line on the starboard side of the pit and shaved off the Hase lumpy representation for a gunsight. I have half a dozen AZmodel extras, though of an earlier Revi- variant than should be in a Gustav-Six, but I´ll live with it. To my huge amazement I also found out I still have three units left of Eduard etch steel seatbelts 10 piece set :hmmm:but as I hate photo etch, maybe I´ll go with masking tape belts. V-P

2020-03-11_10-55-20

• Like 2

The props are just pushed on, they and the spinners are painted after the pic was taken but not assembled yet. Haha the excitement that involves - not. To the IP:s I drilled a hole for the AZm gunsight. I made a crude fuel line to the starboard side of the cockpit. I drilled a 0,5mm hole to the floor and cut a groove to the backplate, then  formed the line from 0,5mm brass rod. It´s a small and easy detail to add, but in my opinion stands out from the otherwise murky hole and is worth doing. The seat buckets had some masking tape lap belts added before the pit was attached to buttoned up fuselage, from below like the IP before that. The shoulder belts can be added only after the cockpit is assembled. Next up will be cleaning up fuselage seams, but that looks like a simple operation in these cases. Oh! But I do hate cleaning those bulges! V-P

2020-03-12_09-48-48

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Long time no see. Thanks for the additional week, I still plan to add these to the gallery tonight.

2020-05-10_11-02-14

Funny how the one on the right appears to be hovering in flight, as the landing gear can't be seen, but then again, neither could the little plastic pilot (that isn't there) see anything through the masks :coolio:. V-P

• Like 2

VPMatrix.....now there's a scary thought!!! :door:

gosh you had disappeared down in the bowels of the GB thread, but you're back!

There's been a wee bit more progress since last update. :thumbsup:

So I can reserve you a spot or two in the gallery?

• Haha 1

Thank you all for a mighty fine GB! The Mersu-pics are now in the Gallery and the models safely surrounded by their kin. That´s a picture of my uncle alikersantti Pentti Pelttari in the middle.

He was a FAO in Maaselkä Kannas, killed in action at Krivi in 24.10.1942, 26 years before my birth. That´s the little shrine I made for him at V-E day.

But, can you spot the two latest entries? :coolio: V-P

2020-05-13_11-30-10

• Like 3