Flyhawk G-39 Grosses Torpedoboot

Hello all!

I have just finished a delightful little kit, the Flyhawk 1/700 scale German G-39 Torpedo Boat from 1916.

It was a wonderful model to put together, and I added to it by obtaining the optional upgrade set with etch and three minute turned brass gun barrels. I had no issues with the model, except the titchiness of some of the parts. An example? the anchors. they had a central arm moulded in, and they needed to be cut off. Now, the anchors are as small (or smaller) than a pin-head, and, you have guessed it, one went down the maw of the carpet monster. Now, this carpet in my room is a bit of a straggly one, but within 10 seconds, my beedy eyes had found the part, and I still cannot believe it!

I attached the model to the sea base early on (there are a couple of propeller guards made of etch attached aft) for safety, and I found that to be useful as a handling aid too. I only realised later that the guards would hinder the wake pattern I still had to do.

Getting the masts off the runners was a heart-in-mouth moment but I did not mangle them, and I also managed to get them rigged with UNI-Caenis fly-tying thread and a hint of CA. They went on a little slack but I put a heated pin (carefully) close by and that tightened them up (and possibly bent the masts a smidge). I rigged the flag to the mast prior to adding the mast to the ship. Here she is:

49627048981_1913a0c820_b.jpg

49626532718_410767b3a2_b.jpg

49627051466_87a09e5c9a_b.jpg

49627323817_fab3053aa0_b.jpg

49626536503_c2d43a0d56_b.jpg

The paints were Colourcoats for the main hull, ventilator openings, and waterline; Humbrol H27 for the deck, and Revell for the ship's boat interiors. The torpedo handling rails(?) were picked out with a silver pencil run along the tracks. One gun barrel was scratch built because the lovely turned brass one fell off and I could not find that. Finally, the obligatory pen-shot for size comparison:

49627054921_e1733d0cc6_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, now I am off to restart my 'Knight Templar' build again, I have left it alone for far too long...

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 18

Excellent!B)

It would be nice if Flyhawk decided to do the other types of WW1 German torpedoboote. The Germaniawerft boats like G-39 weren't very numerous compared with the Schichau and Vulcan ones.

Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and 'likes', all very much appreciated.

I too love these little torpedo boats. I have another to do, the 1/700  V161 from Chorozy Modelbud. It beat me last time I tried to build it, but I think I have more experience now, and when I recently saw one on King Kit I snaffled it as quick as you like. There are lots of resin bits, and about 100+ PE parts on a fret about 1 1/2 inches square! I will do a WIP when I start it.

All the best, Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post