Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Update 07/10/21- Engine fitted.

Hey everyone

I had a little rush of blood to the head earlier and I ordered the Brassin Tempest V Napier Sabre for the Eduard Tempest kit. So boyd by my Spitfire Mk.IXc (finished build) WIP I thought I'd get another WIP going in anticipation for when I get to start it.

Box art..

termpest

And Napier Sabre...

648417_01(1)

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

Should look good with the engine included

Hey Adam

I hope so, I've down loaded the instructions for it from the Eduard site and it looks a little more complicated than the Merlin I did for the Spitfire, but I think that as long as I take it steady and build as much as I can before committing it to paint it should;d be ok?

Cheers buddy

Iain

Hey everyone

Well I just had a pleasant surprise I thought I'd get the kit out of the stash and on opening the box I found I had already bought the Brassin cockpit for it! I genuinely had no idea it was there?

648416_01

I have done worse I ordered a HK 1/32 B-25 and only remembered when it rocked up from Hannants - That was an uncomfortable chat with the wife!

Cheers

Iain

• Haha 7

Hey everyone

Amongst other things I have started to remove the resin from their casting blocks and clean up the pieces that go into making up the cockpit and I thought I'd show how I do it. The resin is very thin and removing it in one piece could prove a problem...

pic1

..this is part of the resin that goes into making up the cockpit framework. Here I've removed it from the main casting block using a razor saw, don't try and snip it off as you run the risk of breaking the fragile resin, the picture shows how much clean up is still required which is quite a lot.

To clean up the part I use a cheap nail (as in finger nail) drill that I got off Amazon for £13.00. It has a variable speed of upto 20000 RPM, reverse polarity (it goes forwards and backwards) and it comes with an assortment of drill bits (they have a shank of 2.25mm). The drill itself is very light and easy to handle and because it has variable speed very accurate when removing access resin..

pic2 pic3

..this is the same piece after about 10 minutes of clean up with the drill as you can see its very fine but I managed to clean it without breaking it. To ensure that all of the excess resin has been removed and to give a nice flat surface I give the piece a quick sand using  the Flory sanding block you can see in the picture, I don't apply any real pressure when sanding the piece and I always sand in a figure of eight motion to try and sand the piece evenly.

pic4

..One thing I must mention is that resin dust/fibers are very bad for you health if inhaled so a face mask is a must, this was £30.00 from a local DIY store in Camborne..

pic5

..I guess I need to crack on and clean up this little lot!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

To clean up the part I use a cheap nail (as in finger nail) drill that I got off Amazon for £13.00. It has a variable speed of upto 20000 RPM, reverse polarity (it goes forwards and backwards) and it comes with an assortment of drill bits (they have a shank of 2.25mm). The drill itself is very light and easy to handle and because it has variable speed very accurate when removing access resin..

That sounds like the rotary tool I have (also from Amazon). I really love it, and find I’m using it all the time — especially when trying to get resin AM to fit.

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That sounds like the rotary tool I have (also from Amazon). I really love it, and find I’m using it all the time — especially when trying to get resin AM to fit.

I only found out about it because I went for a manicure and the nail tech used it to shape my cuticles, I’d never seen one before. Mine is mains powered and for working with resin it’s invaluable, I couldn’t imagine trying to clean up the flash without it.

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

I’ve added a set of diamond grinders for mine, plus some micro-drills with 3/32” (2.25 mm) shanks. 

Where did you get the drill bits from I've looked and can't seem to find any, you couldn't post a link could you?

Hey everyone

Once again I've decided in for a penny in for a pound and ordered the Brassin Tempest V gun bays and the Montex mask set K48344 which I believe John @shortCummins used on his rather splendid Tempest build.

brassin guns

and..

montex mask k48334

..Right the bank of Iain is now closed!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

On 07/03/2020 at 12:27, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

I only found out about it because I went for a manicure and the nail tech used it to shape my cuticles, I’d never seen one before. Mine is mains powered and for working with resin it’s invaluable, I couldn’t imagine trying to clean up the flash without it.

Can you amend that to read you took the wife for a manicure or delete the RAF out of your tag, cos this will give the Cod-heads and grunts so much ammo to use against us! 🤪

Enjoying the start of the project!

Ian

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Can you amend that to read you took the wife for a manicure or delete the RAF out of your tag, cos this will give the Cod-heads and grunts so much ammo to use against us! 🤪

Enjoying the start of the project!

Ian

Ha ha yeah you do have a point there 😆 

Once I get in to the nitty gritty of the build it should be pretty good - I just need to finish off cleaning up the resin and spend less time working on my Phantom build!

Cheers buddy

Iain who is in touch with his Feminine side!

• Haha 2

Hey everyone

I have a question for any Tempest aficionados the cockpit colour should the frame work be silver, black or interior green as the photographic evidence seems quite inconclusive, the instruction call for interior green?

Cheers

Iain

3 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

the cockpit colour should the frame work be silver, black or interior green as the photographic evidence seems quite inconclusive, the instruction call for interior green?

AFAIK,  Grey Green,  the upper walls might be black.  Typhoons have aluminium painted framework.   Tempest wheel wells are grey green,  there is a servicing film, which shows them and they are not aluminium paint.  

Aluminium paint photo graphs near white, and usually has a soft sheen to it.    If you google Tempest cockpit, one image that turns up is a prototype with aluminum tubing, bit note the car door, as based on a typhoon airframe

70455c00791d116ad020aff25d275a03.jpg

this is LA607, Tempest II prototype, and does not look repainted, black upper sidewalls.

97672fc1e229b8a05ffad3937d215b22.jpg

Not a Tempest, and a small pic (I must re-do this) but this screen shot from a Spitfire maintenance film the cockpit door is grey green, the flaps are aluminium paint.

48991973078_52b802898d_o.jpgSpitfire flap colour maintenance film by losethekibble, on Flickr

@Chris Thomas  may know more

useful thread here

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/1-32-hawker-tempest-v-special-hobby.45578/

which links back here....

and a post I'd forgotten about....

In circa 1980 Ted Sinclair, Norfolk UK, purchased two Tempest front fuselages from a car scrapyard - in the Bristol area. The Tempests had still their front windscreens. The RAF serials are not known, but on one fuselage there was a number of 'Doodlebug' V1 kills painted.

The photo shows one of the cockpits as found.

tedscockpits.jpg&key=6c04a044bb9446c29cc

and

• Like 1

Hey @Troy Smith

Thanks for the info mate my search of the internet turned up pretty much what you have said and I have been looking at the Kermit weeks Mk II and V machines on You tube and considering his eye for detail and authenticity I think I will go with the interior green for the frame work and lower sidewall and black for the upper (above elbow?) areas, if nothing else just to give the cockpit some interest rather than it becoming a 'coal hole'.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone

Well it seems like a life time since I actually posted anything here on Britmodeller let alone do any modelling. Anyway I've spent a little time resurrecting this build which I started a while back and as is the way of things my time has been spent in the cockpit (I wish!)

IMG_2535

IMG_2536

IMG_2537

IMG_2539

IMG_2540

At the moment it looks very 'toy' like and I still have a lot of work to do on it, but I'm happy with how its going and far more importantly I've had a really pleasant few hours this afternoon

in my workshop.

Cheers everyone

Iain

• Like 4

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. A small update 23.05.21
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Just a small update for you. Lately I have had no interest in modelling, even though I've changed job and have a lot more time on my hands, I'm just finding it a real chore. I have some great kits on the go but zero enthusiasm.

Anyway I've been doing some serious kit mangling with saw and micro drill to get the AM guns from Eduard installed..

IMG_2613

As you can see I had to remove some of the inner wheel structure (both sides) to get the gun bays to fit, but once completed the gun bays fit very well..

IMG_2619

IMG_2618

I've also removed the excess plastic from the lower wing to allow the resin fire wall to be installed (all be it temporarily) just to see how that fits..

IMG_2621

And once again it fits very well..

IMG_2614

IMG_2620

Anyway thats all from me for now, my next steps will be to get the cockpit finished and the fuselage and wings glued together.

I hope everyone is safe and well?

All the best

Iain

• Like 8

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. A small update 27.06.2021

Hey everyone

Just another small update ref my Tempest build. I've managed to get the cockpit 98% finished, I just need to add the throttle and a couple of other levers, glue it in and close up the fuselage..

IMG_2653

IMG_2652

IMG_2651

IMG_2650

IMG_2649

Cheers

Iain

• Like 8

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. A small update 04.07.2021
8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Fabulous cockpit Iain, if I can do as well with my 1/32 version I will be more than happy.

Cheers

John

Hey John

Thank you for the kind words. The Brassin cockpit IS very good but I’m not sure it adds anything to the final build, once it’s installed into the fuselage not a lot will be seen, however I did enjoy building it. 
all the best

Iain