Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Update 07/10/21- Engine fitted.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Another small update for you. I really wanted to have this finished by now but life and a lack of interest have just gotten in the way, any ho I've managed to get the camo on, gun bays painted and engine fire wall and pe wing inserts installed. I painted it using Tamiya XF 81, 82 and 83 acrylic paints which I know aren't the most accurate colour matches but for convenience cant be beaten and I used my usual method of white tac worms to create the camo pattern, the gun bays and firewall were painted Games workshop Mithril silver after a base coat of Tamiya XF1.

Tempest V 3/4 shot

Tempest V stbd gun bay

Tempest V underbelly

tempest V firewall

Hopefully today I can make a start on the sqn codes and national insignia (Montex masks although I can make my own) and yellow leading edge, I've purposefully left off the horizontal stabs to make painting the fin flashes easier. 

Edit - I've just noticed looking at the pictures that I need to do some work around the cockpit and underwing gun area - Bugger.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 7

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. A small update 08.08.2021

Hey everyone

This afternoon I started to apply (paint on) the Type C.1 roundels to the upper wings of my Tempest.

I'm sure its been done before but I thought I'd show how I do it as I seem to be able to achieve constant, favourable results.

masking-and-painting_51365682590_o-Edit

Ok first up I masked the area of the gun bay that was going to be included in the painting of the roundel..

masking-and-painting_51365407379_o-Edit

Next up I prepared the Montex masks (Item code K48344) by drawing on some reference lines with a permanent pen, these will enable you to line up the masks

as you go through the painting process..

masking-and-painting_51364669526_o-Edit

I then applied the outer masks to the airplanes wings and used masking tape to help avoid any over spray..

masking-and-painting_51364892368_o-Edit

I then sprayed the white, let it dry and added all of the circular mask cut outs except for the centre on, this would allow me to paint the red..

Masking and painting

Once dried I then applied the red mask and removed the mask for the blue (white and red masks were left on)..

Masking and painting

The blue was sprayed and once dry the blue mask was reapplied and the yellow mask was removed and the yellow applied..

Masking and painting

Once the yellow had cured all the masks were removed (put the used masks carefully to one side just incase you need them for any touch ups)..

Masking and painting

And here is the finished result. I quite happy with them as no touch ups were required..

masking-and-painting_51365011818_o-Edit

51364033847_66199bf669_o-Edit

Well there you have it, I hope that might of been of use to someone, I just need to finish all the painting now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Painting roundels using Montex masks.
15 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

the gun bays and firewall were painted Games workshop Mithril silver

AFAIK, by this stage hawker had switched to painting all the internal areas in Interior Grey Green.  The wheels wells are. 

as seen here, both link to time in vid for relevant images, but the whole thing is worth a watch for pilot interviews etc

wheel wells

https://youtu.be/ahHbg75kKBw?t=1230

Tempest gun bays

https://youtu.be/ahHbg75kKBw?t=2284

Aluminium painted areas show up as near white and shiny in B/W pics.

PS EDIT - Not sure if yoou are doing a series 1 as the model,.... but they are only the early ones, and AFAIK, they were not used by the 2nd TAF, who used the C1 uppers post jan 45. 

There is debate on what makes a series 1, but the early planes were not used by the 2nd TAF as they were not plumbed for drop tanks. 

see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235024331-concerning-tempests/&tab=comments#elControls_2779625_menu

9 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

51364033847_66199bf669_o-Edit

Well there you have it, I hope that might of been of use to someone, I just need to finish all the painting now.

Cheers

Iain

Great work,  it may just be the way the images reproduce on the screen,  but if the above is Tamiya XF-8 Blue and XF-8 Red, then they are too bright. The wartime blue and red are a dark blue and a 'Indian' or brick red 

9326688572_43aea6e6cc_h.jpgHawker Tempest II. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

13959591750_880b250f20_b.jpgHawker Tempest V, 1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

3870062133_428e1b33e0_b.jpgSpitfire mk. XIV. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

3052829500_b0b527c484_b.jpgSpitfire in England by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

these came in pre war, and were used until the 'D' type was introduced.  As seen on this Eduard tempest sheet

R0018_08b.jpg

Probably not helpful, but perhaps fixable? 

Hope the film is of interest... the sound of the Sabre is an impressive noise

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a small update on my Tempest. Once again @Troy Smith has come up trumps, the red I used for the roundels was indeed Tamiya XF 7 which is of course way too bright

so I created some more masks using my Cricut and set about putting them right I used XF 7 with 25% XF 64 red brown

51401070095_f01bc10695_b.jpg

51396688435_8580b3cf15_b.jpg

51395937388_b03ed8d4b4_b.jpg

51394914112_389d3e1284_b.jpg

and I also repainted the gun bays grey green (well XF 71)

51400349688_8bc59aea05_b.jpg

and I painted the yellow leading edge and corrected a few minor sink marks which I still need to repaint

51400349888_f96092905f_b.jpg

51400088276_1b58177708_b.jpg

51400088211_aa42b8cf72_b.jpg

51400854244_befb37a81a_b.jpg

Not brilliant but not too bad either. 

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 14

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Touch ups and repaints.

I missed this build  looks wonderful so far Iain.  Great work,  I hope your Mojo is suitably recovered. I have a simple kit Oob well almost to turn too for Mojo moments like that and find it can help.

Looking forward to seeing the engine going on especially after seeing your efforts with the Tamiya Spitfire,  I still remember being struck by the chalked on figures on the prop blades, awesome. 

Chris

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I missed this build  looks wonderful so far Iain.  Great work,  I hope your Mojo is suitably recovered. I have a simple kit Oob well almost to turn too for Mojo moments like that and find it can help.

Looking forward to seeing the engine going on especially after seeing your efforts with the Tamiya Spitfire,  I still remember being struck by the chalked on figures on the prop blades, awesome. 

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks for the very kind words mate. TBH my mojo hasn’t really ever been away it’s just life (we’ll work) has gotten on the way. It’s funny you should mention the Spitfire coz I plan to do something similar with this. Over the weekend I’d like to get any touch ups done and then have a look at getting the guns installed and the decals on, but we will see as I think on Sunday the weather here is gonna be scorchio so we’re off to the beach for some paddle boarding and kayaking 👍

All the best

Iain

*EDIT* I almost forgot I need to paint the under wing roundels too!!

• Like 2

Hi everyone

Another small update for you, this morning I painted the under wing roundels..

51408445139_67dd4e6dce_b.jpg

and I made a start on the resin ammo boxes, removing them from their casting blocks with a razor saw. To make the removal of the excess resin easier I went around the unwanted

areas with a sharpie pen..

51407956703_0faeb6b8a4_b.jpg

the bits to be removed on the left and cleaned up part on the right. I have a proxxon micromot 60/e grinder but I find it quite unwieldy for fine work like this so a while back I

invested in a nail technician mini grinder which is much lighter and easier to use (in these situations)..

51406939042_166395c485_b.jpg

and of course because I'm working with resin and all those horrible dust particles my workshop is well ventilated and I have full PPE!

51408445124_e4e2fc754b_b.jpg

well those beauties fit!

51407794681_bcff8dcfce_b.jpg

That's all I have for now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Small update 28/08/21.

Hey everyone

Another small update for you. I've painted the wing walkway's and added the guns and ammo boxes..

51415814753_11401465d7_b.jpg

51414802377_e294fa9d61_b.jpg

I've just noticed looking at the above picture I need to rework the wing walkway so it meets the fuselage!

51415548081_56b4d61782_b.jpg

They still need a little more work but were getting there.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 15

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Every fourth round's a tracer!

Lovely work so far Iain - great tip on the alignment marks for the Montex masks. That'll go in the memory bank...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Antb said:

Great work as always iain. It's coming along really nicely 

Hey buddy

Thanks for the kind comments mate, they’re always appreciated 

22 hours ago, Maginot said:

Nice looking Tempest. And there are those tracer rounds as subtitled. Particularly impressed with your work on the roundels.

Hiya

Thank you.
Painting the rounders/markings is one of those things that at first seem very daunting but in fact after a while you wonder how you ever managed before.

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The guns and ammo look fantastic along with your roundels,  cracking work. 

Chris

Hey Chris

thanks buddy, I didn’t manage as much as I wanted but each session is a step in the right direction.

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work so far Iain - great tip on the alignment marks for the Montex masks. That'll go in the memory bank...

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger

my pleasure, I think that it’s the prescribed way on the Montex web site, but I use it when I’m creating my own masks on my cricut

Thanks everyone for the kind words

Iain

• Like 1

Hey everyone

I've managed to spend some time on my Tempest over the past couple of days and I have to say its been rather enjoyable (if not a little frustrating too!). 

I've added the horizontal stabilisers and I have to say that the fit wasn't the best and I wound up adding a little filler, given her a gloss coat and I've also painted up the under carriage.

But my main goal for the week end was to make start on the engine which I actually managed but not without problems. Both of my engine bearers were broken and required repairing and I 

think that this may have contributed to a slight twist in the finished bearer. Its not a lot but it is noticeable and I hope that I'll be able to correct it later on in the engine build. 

Anyway here are pictures.

51426871571_232bceda7f_b.jpg

51426118717_d80c7bf2e2_b.jpg

looking the pictures the twist doesn't look that bad but it is there..

51426118747_f89f381b12_b.jpg

a couple of pictures with the Napier Sabre dry fitted..

51426118767_2563be8027_b.jpg

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 5

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Weekend round up!
2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Iain 

Looking good, shame about the twist, hope it can be fixed, if not will it be worth adding a shim on one side to level up??? 

Chris 

Hey Chris

That had crossed my mind too and I think if the worst comes to the worst it’s probably what I’ll end up doing, however there is a little play in the bearers so I’m hoping it will be enough for me to correct the twist.

cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Well its been a little while since my last update and although I haven't managed that much I have done some modelling. The decals have been added to main fuselage and wings and its

had a gloss coat..

P1040279

P1040278

P1040273

P1040275

P1040280

I've finished the under carriage and painted the prop (still needs some work) and the tail wheel needs a bit of a tidy up.. 

P1040285

P1040286

I've carried some work out on the motor...

P1040271

P1040270

P1040269

and I've done the most frustrating part of the build I've removed all the resin bits from their casting plugs (without breaking anything)..

P1040267

and in preparation to adding the engine cabling I've bought some 0.3 and 0.5 lead wire and dug out my Vernier callipers..

P1040288

so that's me caught up.

I hope everyone is keeping well.

All the best

Iain

• Like 7

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Update 05/10/21
2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Well done for not breaking any of the fiddly resin bits  I have never been able to achieve that!!!

The undercarriage looks great and looking forward to seeing the engine and plumbing develope.

Great work Iain.

Chris

Hey Chris

Cheers buddy....well its not been easy but I have the motor roughly 90% complete. I still have to add a little more plumbing and little more resin inc the exhausts and I have to paint it....

P1040291

oh and I have to figure how to attach it to the plane without it falling apart? Buts that's for tomorrow.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 9

Hey everyone

I've managed a little more work on my Tempest. I've given the airframe a rub down with 3000 grit sanding paper (it was a little rough in places) and I've also make a bit more headway on the Napier Sabre, I've still to add a little more detail in the way of pipes and resin and I've finished (I think - I have had a glass or two of wine) the basic painting...

P1040303

P1040302

P1040301

P1040300

P1040299

I've still to give it a gloss coat to seal it and carry out some weathering but I think its looking ok?

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 7

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Update 06/10/21- Engine work

Hey everyone

Just another small update I've taken the engine as far as I can go before it needs fitting to the airframe, so here are a couple of mocked up photo's just to show how she's gonna look...

P1040310

P1040309

P1040308

P1040306

P1040304

P1040305

P1040311

..so my plan for the rest of today is to get the photo etch added to the gun bays so tomorrow I can start a little light weathering and hopefully get this finished.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 5

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1. Update 07/10/21- More engine work