RAF Transport Command

Mikey-1980

Morning all!

You may have seen my current build thread on the C1 Beverley of 30 Squadron, circa 1966

One of the issues I have found is that it appears that the upper wing surfaces are painted a light blue colour rather than the "high speed" Silver or natural aluminum that the rest of the fuselage seems to be painted.

Can anyone confirm if this is true please?

Also, I have noticed that the thin blue line that separates the White upper hull and the silver lower hull either blends into black over the nose section.

If anyone has and pictures of the silver, white and blue combo painted Beverley's or can at least confirm my observation of the upper wing surfaces  I would greatly appreciate it :)

Not sure if these are any use? I don't know for sure but based on other RAF transport types of this era I'd be astonished if the RAF bothered or wanted to paint the wings blue; I'm almost certain they'll be silver like the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A quick search on Flickr throws up several images of Beverleys in the pre-camouflage scheme and I can see no evidence of anything other than painted silver/aluminium.  There is considerable exhaust staining on the wings, which can make it difficult to figure out the original colour. In the youtube video linked below you can see a section aft of the engines and painted what appears to be grey.

XB263. Royal Air Force Blackburn Beverley C.1

38719256434_45f9c826f1_c.jpgBlackburn Beverley, XM105 Photo's by Alf Jefferies by Lynn Ballard, on Flickr

49360501698_663f953966_b.jpgBlackburn Beverley,  1962. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

49198623312_88337b0d5f_b.jpgBlackburn Beverley,  1962. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers gents,

Some fantastic pictures and great reference points for the weathering of engine exhaust too. Seems like those Centaurus engines weren't particularly environmentally friendly? :D

Watching through the video @Irish 251 at 29 seconds in, the port wing looks like it is 2 tone, yet other pictures show on here and around tinter'webs seem not to have this 2 tone arrangement?

I've also noticed that the tapering of the white upper fuselage changes...for example, XM105 & XM106 paint schemes are very different? Perhaps there were different ideas within Transport Command on how the pre-cammo schemes should be? 

haha!

You are right, I believe the Beverley had the nick name of the flying block of flats....My dad has fond memories of sitting in the forward viewing port watching the world go by and hiding out right at the very back  seating section towards the rear of the upper deck.

I remember loud from displays

Don't remember blue topped wings and to be fair that might just be a colour reflection induced by blue skies on silver painted wings

I've always regretted not getting flights in the earlier RAF transports except the Hastings but from two, hour and a half flights in Hastingses as a cadet I can confirm that they were loud too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:22 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

LOUD!!!! This is the only sound bite I could find.

I don't remember the Beverley as loud, just slooow!  It took an eternity to fly from Norfolk to Malta.  Loud,and really loud, was the RNZAF Bristol Freighter in which I flew from Butterworth to Changi.  If I recollect correctly we were given earplugs on entering the aircraft.

Mike

• Like 1