Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Finished (well pretty much!)

Hi everyone

I hope you're all keeping well? Personally I feel a little fragile today after I had a meeting with a certain Mr Merlot and his 3 chums (hic) so not much in the way modelling has been done today. I have managed to give the model a gloss coat in preparation for decals and some bits and pieces arrived in the post but other than that I've done nitto. So here she is looking nice and shiny..

49922694323_1da12015c1_b.jpg

and here is some of the after market that I've managed to get my grubby little hands on, surprisingly there isn't that much out there...

49923518957_2460f681ce_b.jpg

I have the canopy up grade set from Airways, some resin mirrors, the boarding ladder from Flightpath, some AIM9L's from Eduard and some resin pylons from aerobonus (Aries).

I'm making some home made FOD covers and I'm going to try and create my own RBF tabs...

49923518902_85c3935a83_b.jpg

As you can see I've removed the canopy that was only tacked on with white glue to reveal the pilot and navs cockpits, straight out of the box they look ok..

49923214251_7e037bbc1d_b.jpg

Well that's all I have for now.

Cheers and stay safe

Iain

• Like 11

Hi Iain,

Nice looking build. I bought the airwaves set for my XV582 but it doesn't fit too well. The canopy rails are too short and too wide for the canopies and the hinge plate for the central fixed section is the wrong profile, but when the parts are fitted and faired in they do look very good. 

Cheers,

WV908 

4 hours ago, WV908 said:

Hi Iain,

Nice looking build. I bought the airwaves set for my XV582 but it doesn't fit too well. The canopy rails are too short and too wide for the canopies and the hinge plate for the central fixed section is the wrong profile, but when the parts are fitted and faired in they do look very good. 

Cheers,

WV908 

Hiya

I kinda took a punt on the airways set as I know they can be very approximate in their design and fit, however I’ll persevere with them and hopefully get something that resembles a Phantom.

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone

I've been following @Dr. Quack Phantom build and its inspired me to get a wiggle on and finish mine - for some explicable reason with some builds I get so far then for no reason I'll put it to one side and effectively forget it? Anyway I went to my cabinet and dug out the Phantom, I've put the stickers on but it still needs to be sealed, the cockpit needs tidying up and finishing, weapons, tanks, undercarriage and afterburner cans need finishing. So this is where we are at the moment...

50495369338_f7fb645817_b.jpg

50496075756_f5b8afed5b_b.jpg

50496231057_67065ed588_b.jpg

50495369263_2b35ce18c2_b.jpg

50496075666_ff6a64cc9f_b.jpg

...As you can see from the pictures I have a lot of work to do to get her up to scratch.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 16

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. I need to get this finished!

Looking good!

I agree.....some builds need a bit of down time to allow enthusiasm to return.....or another subject jumps at you and DEMANDS to be built...NOW!

I'm looking forward to your completing this....nearly there.

Q

She's looking splendid iain. 

Just had this kit arrive myself, it does look nice so be good to see this one finished for some inspiration. No pressure 🤣

Lovely work continues. Sometimes it does help to move on and come back later when the enthusiasm returns for that build.

Now I've seen the markings you are doing. Your build and all that, so do as you please.  But 2 Sqn had a recce role at Laarbruch, so the hoofing great EMI recce pod would have been a more usual fit under the centreline. Inboard pylons would either be clean or have MWA's (multiple weapons adapters) bolted on with a CBLS or ground attack weapons loaded. Very rare to have Sidewinders, and they would be AIM-9G's. 2 Sqn Phantoms pre-date the introduction of 9L's.

• Like 2

Yes you get the EMI pod in the kit.  I slung one under my 92 Sqn Phantom.  I think they did carry them but I am no expert.  Nice looking Phantom you are producing there.

Mine posing with the teeth on the pod

xfdjmHA.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work so far.  Are you aware that the kit does NOT provide the AAR probe as I see you've left it open.  I recently built the same kit & left MINE open intending to fit a deployed probe.  Very disappointed to find it wasn't supplied & also had to fit the closed cover & repaint!  Is there an AM product?

19 hours ago, bar side said:

Yes you get the EMI pod in the kit.  I slung one under my 92 Sqn Phantom.  I think they did carry them but I am no expert.  Nice looking Phantom you are producing there.

xfdjmHA.jpg

That's a great background you have there.

92 was only ever an AD operator of the Phantom having taken over from the F2a's in 1977, so never carried the EMI pod, but I'm a great believer in that its your model and a sharkmouth can never be wrong !! 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, Graham T said:

Nice work so far.  Are you aware that the kit does NOT provide the AAR probe as I see you've left it open.  I recently built the same kit & left MINE open intending to fit a deployed probe.  Very disappointed to find it wasn't supplied & also had to fit the closed cover & repaint!  Is there an AM product?

The AAR probe is essentially a bit of bent pipe.  A Tornado AAR probe white metal end (easily available from Master) will work on the end and the original kit part to fill the hole works as the cover.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:08 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Looks brilliant....you cant stop now!  

Have to admit to being a bit like that myself...

Hi Anthony

Thank you. Yeah I really blow hot and cold this time of year, we get very busy at work and with it being cold and wet I just can't be bovvered going out to the work shop most of the time ☹️

On 10/17/2020 at 4:55 PM, Dr. Quack said:

Looking good!

I agree.....some builds need a bit of down time to allow enthusiasm to return.....or another subject jumps at you and DEMANDS to be built...NOW!

I'm looking forward to your completing this....nearly there.

Q

Hi Dr. Q

LOL I'm trying my best here, I have managed maybe an hour since my last update but I'm finding it a real struggle to get going on this? I'll get there though - honest 🙂

On 10/17/2020 at 7:30 PM, Antb said:

She's looking splendid iain. 

Just had this kit arrive myself, it does look nice so be good to see this one finished for some inspiration. No pressure 🤣

Hey Ant

It is a great kit and it really does define the shape of a Phantom really well, I just need to get my butt in gear and get it finished!

On 10/17/2020 at 8:34 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Lovely work continues. Sometimes it does help to move on and come back later when the enthusiasm returns for that build.

Now I've seen the markings you are doing. Your build and all that, so do as you please.  But 2 Sqn had a recce role at Laarbruch, so the hoofing great EMI recce pod would have been a more usual fit under the centreline. Inboard pylons would either be clean or have MWA's (multiple weapons adapters) bolted on with a CBLS or ground attack weapons loaded. Very rare to have Sidewinders, and they would be AIM-9G's. 2 Sqn Phantoms pre-date the introduction of 9L's.

Hiya Mr Phixer

Thanks for the observations ref the ordinance, I'll keep my 9L's for another build and go with the EMI on the centreline and clean inboard pylons, it should still look the business once finished.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:04 AM, bar side said:

xfdjmHA.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the inspiration mate its just what I needed. 

On 10/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, Graham T said:

Hi Graham

With regards to the AAR probe I just haven't fitted it yet, I'll use what comes with the kit and paint as necessary (I have work to do in that area anyway so no drama's)

On 10/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, phildagreek said:

Nice!

Hey Phil

Thank you buddy.

Hey everyone I just wanted to apologise for not replying to you all sooner I didn't see any notifications so I didn't look. Anyway thanks again for the kind words and useful hints.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Just a quick update on the Phantom. Work has been manic so I haven't had any real time to devote to any of my builds but I have managed a little work on my Phantom, I've managed to add some wiring the the cockpits and finish off the canopies..

50587391732_8daf5683b3_b.jpg

50587391717_07fca1f82f_b.jpg

50587391707_5c62babd79_b.jpg

50587272521_8d538f4721_b.jpg

..I still need to do some tidying up around the cockpit area and finish off the decals before moving onto the undercarriage and load out.

Stay safe

Iain

• Like 12

Hey everyone

Well its getting there! I've been off for the past couple of days and I've managed to make some headway with my build. The decaling is finished, shes had 3 gloss coats and the tail feathers are done. Once she has fully cured I'll give her a rub down with 3000 / 4000 grit paper just to unify the decals then give her a semi gloss coat. The canopy's are getting there, they just need a little tidying up, some decals added to the framing and bobs your uncle...

50596804278_4e505e7e29_b.jpg 50596804223_0194b2e1cf_b.jpg 50597669422_691147741e_b.jpg 50597669402_1dba36c8c0_b.jpg 50597549141_54d84d9ffe_b.jpg 50597669377_616ff16b78_b.jpg

50597549136_a678f4ab42_b.jpg

Cheers

Iain

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Quite excellent progress being made here. Really like the cockpit additions.

How dirty are your intentions sir?

I mean weathering!!!!:innocent:

Admiring Quack. 👍

Hey Quack

Thank you buddy...my thoughts as always turn very dirty! Looking at Phantoms in RAF service they look to be very well used and I’ll try to emulate this with my build especially the areas around the engine nozzles and undercarriage. 

5 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Looks great! I’ve just taken delivery of this kit, so looking forward to building it sometime!

Hi Matt

Thank you, you will enjoy the build experience as it goes together very well with no real pitfalls, I look forward to seeing what you can do with it when you finally get round to it.

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Looks great, the canopy decals & framing look like they must've been fun!! Looking forward to seeing her completed.

ATB

Thanks buddy. The canopy wasn’t that hard to do tbh and I think it makes a real difference (not that it’s strictly accurate)

Iain

Hey everyone

I hope you are all keeping safe and well? 

My Phantom is ever so slowly getting there, I've added the undercarriage, drop tanks andEMI pod (I managed to stuff up the decals so @Dr. Quack very kindly sent me spares as he wont be using them - many many thanks Dr. Q!!). I don't know if its me or the Revell decals but I've had real problems with them adhering to the model and when they do they silver quite badly? Anyway other than that I'm happy with how its going very happy in fact (more on that a little later). Ok the pictures.... 

50634493997_e7a1796041_b.jpg

50634493992_683017fb55_b.jpg

50634493572_b6bb5ce8b9_b.jpg

50634493577_917aed349f_b.jpg

50634494012_09e1275a86_b.jpg

50633660563_0813698574_b.jpg

50634493497_46d6715a3b_b.jpg

50634409626_e1f1e51966_b.jpg

50634409581_2d1c13d47a_b.jpg

50634493982_78f30fc8a6_b.jpg

..So there it is. I've just noticed that the back seaters ejection handles are missing ummm hopefully there in my workshop some where. I've enjoyed this kit so much that 

I've ordered another and I've also ordered all the AM that I could find for it, I really want to do the Phantom justice and I think my next effort should be worthy of this very

fine airplane.

Cheers all and take care

Iain

• Like 11