Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Finished (well pretty much!)

Hey everyone

In conjunction with my Gladiator build and hot on the heals of my 1/48 Eduard Spitfire (with a bit of resin thrown in) I will make a start on this...

49610717028_e7a8b32655_z.jpg

I have wanted to build a Phantom since I came back to modelling 10 years ago. Its aggressive lines are awesome and painted as an RAF bird I think they look particularly cool. I have a little AM in the way of quick boost Martin Baker Mk.7's and some resin rear view mirrors for the canopy's.

I'll make a start on her a little later on today.

Cheers

Iain 

• Like 6

Hey everyone

I've made a start on my Phantom by removing the Quickboost Martin Baker MK.7's from their casting block and I have to say they are beautiful..

49626527346_6942ec5df8_o 49626802077_06ef99bca9_o

..Hopefuly with a little careful painting they will look fab....ok where's my airbrush!

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 13

On 3/6/2020 at 10:01 PM, DAG058 said:

I'll join you on this too. What markings and scheme are you going for? 

Hiya

I’m not too sure at the moment, which ever I go for it will be one of the kit options, possibly the 2 (AC) Sqn RAF Laarbruch 1974 machine.

cheers

Iain

Hey everyone

This evening I have spent a rather pleasant couple of hours giving the cockpit its first lick of paint, I needed the distraction from clean up resin. I have painted both the pilots and navigators (WSO) instruments panels and I've started to give the ejection seats a lick of paint too...

panel 1

Pilots IP..

panel 2

Navigators IP..

tub 1

The ejection seats in the cockpit tub. As you can see I still have lots of detail painting to finish but I'm loving this kit so far.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 13

Hey everyone

I've pretty much finished the both the pilots and navigators cockpits, all that needs adding is the undercarriage and canopy jettison levers in the pilots cockpit and some cabling between the navigators and the front office. I've still to finish the ejection seats..

tub 2 tub 3 tub 4

..built straight from the box the cockpit actually looks pretty good and the fit of the parts is pretty good to. Tomorrow I'll throw all of my attention into finishing the ejection seats and once they're done Ill have a look at the cockpit for my Tempest V, which looking at it is far more involved being resin and all..

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 14

I've built two of these and it's a lovely kit, goes together well, I just needed a bit of sanding around the intake joins. 

Your cockpit looks brilliant, that's such a great start! 

Will you be doing her in one of the kit markings schemes or using some aftermarket decals?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

That is some very tidy painting of the IP's. Lovely.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I've built two of these and it's a lovely kit, goes together well, I just needed a bit of sanding around the intake joins. 

Your cockpit looks brilliant, that's such a great start! 

Will you be doing her in one of the kit markings schemes or using some aftermarket decals?

Hi Mr Riot

I'll be using the markings supplied with the kit and the markings of choice are for the 2 Sqn Machine that operated out of RAF Laarbruch, Germany in 1974.

6 hours ago, Marlin said:

WOW. :analintruder:

That is one beautiful cockpit. 

Well done. :goodjob:

/Bosse 

Thank you

Iain

14 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Cockpit is looking good. Can I ask how you approached it? Brush paint? Wash etc? I'd be interested in your method....

Q

Hiya

My method for painting the cockpit is fairly straight forward.

I airbrushed the tub Tamiya XF1 as a base coat followed by XF66. I then painted by brush the instrument 'squares' using XF69 and the switches with XF83. For both radar screens I first painted the circle with Citadel Rune fang silver followed by Tamiya clear orange (sorry I don't have the colour code to hand), for the emergency release handle I painted it yellow and did the stripes with a thin detail brush, I then gave it a wash of Ammo Mig Grey and once that had dried I went over the instrument faces with pva glue to give 'em a glass look and that's that.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

A small update on my Phantom. I'm off work for the next week and I really want to make some headway with this one, so for the past few days I've spent my time making good seams and joins. The Revell (Hasegawa) kit is excellent but even with care its very hard to get good joins between the main components but I think I'm getting there. Here in my Phantom as of close of play today, the seams have been filled, she has had a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 and she has been sanded back tomorrow I hope to make a start on rescribing the obliterated panel lines before I can finally get some paint down..

plane3

plane2

plane1

And here is a photo of the Quickboost seats, they just need a flat coat and they are ready to be fitted..

seat2

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 8

Hi everyone

I hope you're all well? This morning I had one goal and that was to get the basic painting on my Phantom finished and I'm glad to report I managed it.

I painted her back to front, ie I painted the upper surfaces first followed by the underneath and lastly the radome.  I've used Tamiya paints through out and I gotta be honest I'm pretty happy with the results. 

First up I sprayed the entire thing with XF 82 (ocean grey), followed by a mamouth masking session (3 hours) then I painted the green XF 81 (green) followed by XF 83 and finally the radome in Nato black XF 69.

49915153278_6e139dddef_b.jpg 49915932258_b0cff1ff4f_b.jpg 49916447446_a66be9aeae_b.jpg 49916446856_aa4082116f_b.jpg 49916747342_3fa413a083_b.jpg 49916446871_33a813a824_b.jpg

I gotta be honest I'm pretty chuffed with how its turning out, I do have some touch ups to do but really nothing too drastic.

'Till next time 

Iain

• Like 19

Never done masking like that. Got to try it on my Revell 1/32 Hunter. Thanks for the photo. Really nice build. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Antb said:

That looks lovely iain. Another cracker!! 

Hey Ant, cheers buddy

13 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Never done masking like that. Got to try it on my Revell 1/32 Hunter. Thanks for the photo. Really nice build. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hi SAT69 this way of masking is ok but it’s very time consuming, I was going to make my own masks using my printer to create templates but in the end I just bit the bullet and used masking tape and white tac.

cheers

Iain

Morning all

This morning I've spent an hour masking up the tail area so I could paint it and I've splashed some paint on. A little bit annoyed with myself coz I used the wrong airbrush to apply the silver, I bought a cheap Chinese knock off for spraying silver, Mr Surfacer etc but I totally forgot I had it! Anyway progress pictures..

49919135037_377dfd13d2_b.jpg 49918838546_55a9ffaa62_b.jpg

With some XF 1 to act as an under coat..

49918838486_4778504ec1_b.jpg

And some silver..

49918323678_3050ea3ace_b.jpg

I'm sat at my keyboard typing this up and I looked across at the model with the sun illuminating what I'd done and I think it looks rather good..

49919141772_10bb7539f9_b.jpg

So my plans for today are to complete any touch ups, give her a couple of gloss coats and make a start on the decals which I think will take a while to apply.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 9