Dassault Rafale M Flottille 11F, 17/3 update

trickyrich

Ok silly me has decided to build another on for this GB, it wasn’t planned but I will have some time and it’ll help reduce the stash.

Ok I got this at my clubs yearly auction last year. That stupid box was the first to go and the sprue was chopped up to fit into a smaller and sensible box, so I had to source another box photo!

rg_rafale_box-M.jpg

It’s actually not a bad looking model….especially for the prise I paid $10.

IMG_4294-L.jpg

IMG_4295-L.jpg

Ok me being me some things needed to be replaced, exhausts and wheels. Being that there’s not a lot of difference between the C & M models of the Rafale I can use the PE sets from the C model. The Revell cockpit decals are rubbish.

IMG_4286-L.jpg

I wasn’t too impressed with the plain grey scheme and as luck would have it, Syhart do a nice set of Tiger Meet decals for her, so that’s the scheme I’ll do.

IMG_4297-L.jpg

The one issue with doing this scheme is the centre drop tank fitted to this aircraft was the smaller 1250L one, the model only comes with the 2000L tank. But as luck would have it I just happen to have a Rafale C in the stash which has 3 of them in it! 

IMG_4296-L.jpg

It should be a straightforward build the only problem area in the intakes…there’s no intake trunk provided just a gaping hole into the fuselage, so I may just blank it off or make intake covers.

• Like 14

Great choice, I absolutely love the Rafale, especially the Marine version. I was lucky enough to catch this jet participating at the 2014 Yeovilton Air Day, here's a handful of images for reference that hopefully you find useful 👍

14558053827_fcfba2b641_o.jpgDassault Rafale M 27 Aeronavale RNAS Yeovilton 25/07/14 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

14742068699_d50a1516c7_o.jpgDassault Rafale M 27 Aeronavale RNAS Yeovilton 25/07/14 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

16787462095_2cb44d17b5_o.jpgDassault Rafale M 27 Aeronavale RNAS Yeovilton 27/07/14 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Hope they help!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Marlin said:

Great choice @trickyrich :D 

I got the same kit, but I'm saving it for "Fancy French2"

I got Dmolds resin intakes for mine. 

Currently out of stock, but you might find it elsewere. 

https://dmold-modelworks.com/contents/en-us/p9_RAFALE_profiled_intakes.html

HTH

/Bosse 

I did look at trying to get some of these, but the at the price they're just a bit too much.....for this model anyway, plus I can't find a cheap set. Victory Models did have a set for sale, but not cheap.

Luckily you can't really see in the intakes unless you look straight in......and I'll have guards present to stop that! :D

So far it's a breeze to build, you'll enjoy it. What scheme are you going to do?

27 minutes ago, Seamus said:

Great choice, I absolutely love the Rafale, especially the Marine version. I was lucky enough to catch this jet participating at the 2014 Yeovilton Air Day, here's a handful of images for reference that hopefully you find useful 👍

Dassault Rafale M 27 Aeronavale RNAS Yeovilton 25/07/14 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Dassault Rafale M 27 Aeronavale RNAS Yeovilton 25/07/14 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Dassault Rafale M 27 Aeronavale RNAS Yeovilton 27/07/14 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Hope they help!

Awww thanks for that!!! :thumbsup: Awesome phot's of here, plus now I see I have to get another pair of missiles for her.....guess I'm raiding the C version again! :D

• Like 3

Great!!!!

A Rafale!

This exact model kit actually my second ever... it started it all!

The kit itself is fantastic, it is from the great Revell times when also the F-15E was done!!!

Take care, this is a very early F1 / prototype M1 representation without the chaff/flare recesses found soon on in service maschines. 

Second, don't use the Magics, only used on F1 standard. Your decal / plane is F3

So Mica only.

There is an upgrade resin set from Wolfpack-d if you want.

By the way, the kit nozzles are not bad at all!

There are also already upgraded kits around, that come with GBU-12s and a tripple ejector rack for all 3 versions.... also tempting,...

I did a two-seater recently here with most/ more of just described changes...

:thumbsup:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great!!!!

A Rafale!

This exact model kit actually my second ever... it started it all!

The kit itself is fantastic, it is from the great Revell times when also the F-15E was done!!!

Take care, this is a very early F1 / prototype M1 representation without the chaff/flare recesses found soon on in service maschines. 

Second, don't use the Magics, only used on F1 standard. Your decal / plane is F3

So Mica only.

There is an upgrade resin set from Wolfpack-d if you want.

By the way, the kit nozzles are not bad at all!

There are also already upgraded kits around, that come with GBU-12s and a tripple ejector rack for all 3 versions.... also tempting,...

I did a two-seater recently here with most/ more of just described changes...

:thumbsup:

I noticed the chart dispenses are missing, they're on the list to do, and thanks to Seamus great photo's I now know about the Mica's, so I'll raid the -C box again. I got the nozzles, they're the things hidden by the light glare next to the PE stuff! :D

I've seen that updated one, nothing extra in that that is useful for me.

I have an update for this I'll post later, got heaps done yesterday, and you're spot on, she is a really nice model to build! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Ok this update will be a bit all over the place as I meant to do a update for yesterdays work this morning but forgot! I had planned to work on the Bug today but was having too much fun with this one.

I did notice yesterday while looking at ref photos that the Chaff/Flare dispenser was missing on the model….. right where those tweezer points are.

IMG_4304-L.jpg

So today armed with this one photo I ripped plastic apart and added some plastic and here we go!

IMG_4308-L.jpg

Actually I found some better photos after I did this, so had to do some minor changes. Once everything is completely cured I’ll clean it up and fair in the rear portion a bit better. But at least it looks right now.

Flying surfaces and intakes were assembled yesterday.

IMG_4306-L.jpg

Same with the U/c, the wheels wells were also painted.

IMG_4305-L.jpg

The cockpit was started and given some basic painting…….

IMG_4302-L.jpg

……. It all seems to fit together nicely…….

IMG_4303-L.jpg

….the new PE interior has been fitted and I’ll start on the ejection seat next.

IMG_4309-L.jpg

The U/c has it’s basic coat on, I’ll clear coat before I start the detailing. I’ve fitted the intakes now to the lower part of the fuselage instead of fitting them later. I’m doing this as I may mock up some intakes, at the very least it’ll allow me to get a nice join, as they didn’t seem to fit ll that nicely during the test fitting to a joined fuselage!

IMG_4307-L.jpg

Finally the weapons loadout, I stole the drop tank and IR Mica’s from my Rafale B…… though I do need some IR Mica’s for that on eventually. The way Revell join the missile heads to the body is pretty crap!

IMG_4310-L.jpg

I’m really surprised how quickly everything is coming together for this build. It’s a nice model on the hole, the only thing I’m not fussed on is the soft plastic, like the Super Bug as well. Not the best for mod work (for me anyway) I do prefer something a wee bit harder.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Col. said:

You're off to a good start with this one Rich. Although I was expecting to see more resin involved by now :hmmm: 

it'll have resin wheels? :D I may keep the exhaust nozzles for the -C as the kit ones arn't too bad.

But you there is a distinct lack of resin in this build. If I can knock her out of the way fairly quickly then I may drag out me Fisher Model & Pattern F9F-5 Panther! :wicked:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

it'll have resin wheels? :D I may keep the exhaust nozzles for the -C as the kit ones arn't too bad.

But you there is a distinct lack of resin in this build. If I can knock her out of the way fairly quickly then I may drag out me Fisher Model & Pattern F9F-5 Panther! :wicked:

That sounds more like the Rich I know :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I’ve just realised I haven’t updated this for a bit and I’m a lot further along that I though I was from the last update….plus I've forgotten to take a lot of progress photos! :doh:

Ok for the stuff I forgot to take photos of……..

… the intakes I ended up just blanking them off, just not worth all the trouble of trying to make up some trunking. These were then fitted to the lower fuselage where I knew the joins were going to be the hardest to sort out. It’s not pretty but they cleaned up ok.

…then fuselage could be joined, it didn’t go together that easily and I needed to use clamps an tape to get it to fit right, other than the intakes the joins area not too bad.

The wings are on, again joins not the best, I used stretched sprue to fill the gaps.

Most of the body work is complete and I’m just going through the process of cleaning it up.

So here is where she’s at, at the moment, the tail is just sitting there and she’s just resting on her U/c.

IMG_4348-L.jpg

I’m just about ready to tape up the cockpit area, just some minor painting to do.

IMG_4343-L.jpg

The main canopy needed lots of PE added to it. I made up masks for the inside as well as the outside.

IMG_4344-L.jpg

And now a lesson on how to waste time…….

I was going over my reference photos when I noticed this, it's some sort of chaff/flare dispenser back from the new one I made earlier. I'm not quite sure what they are but I needed to add them!

Rafale_M_photoscope_walkaround_24-L.jpg 

Mine didn’t have these so I thought I’d better fix that, out with the razor saw……

IMG_4332-L.jpg

……..a short time later….

IMG_4333-L.jpg

……new bits made and fitted, check, looking good, check! :thumbsup: 

IMG_4334-L.jpg

Look at photos of the actual aircraft while checking on something else……….

On 3/6/2020 at 7:05 PM, Seamus said:

14742068699_d50a1516c7_o.jpg

........ :yikes:       

BUGGA!!!! :wall:  I did notice though that the decal drawings do show these additions, but I'll stick with the photos of the actual aircraft.

Waste even more time fixing what I’d messed up, finally back to where I started. Only saving grace was I used my new razor saw to do the cutting!!! I recommend these to anyone looking for a awesome saw!

IMG_4335-L.jpg

Ok I’m now getting really close to painting time, I just need to finish up the clean-up work, I’ve started fitting pylons to her. I should get the front canopy on today and start to seal it all up.

Despite my stuff up and some fit issues it’s not a bad model at all, here she is with her USN equivalent. I didn’t realize the F/A-18 was so big! 

IMG_4345-L.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Col. said:

Have you forgotten about this one Rich or is it still progressing quietly in the background?

it's sort of hiding in the background...not quite forgotten. 

Theres a few nasty joins that have given me some grief. Once the Spitfires are out of the way (next weekend with luck) then I'll spend more time of her. There's really not too much left to do before I can paint her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1