Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc early version. AX*8 1 Sqn SAAF.

Eduard 1/48

Spitfire Mk.IXc

1 Sqn SAAF, Luqa Malta

June 1943

Kit: Eduard

Scale: 1/48

After market: Brassin Rolls Royce Merlin, Brassin Mk.IX Spitfire cockpit, Brassin Mk.IXc gun bays, Master cannon.

Paints: Tamiya and Vajello

I threw a lot of after market at this kit, mostly resin and mostly Eduard (Brassin). On the whole I was very impressed with the levels detail, the quality and how they were engineered. However if I were to build another Spitfire I wouldn't bother with the Brassin cockpit. The level of detail offered by the resin replacement really doesn't add that much to the model and its construction although fairly easy, was difficult to install into the plastic fuselage halves and even though I was very careful with its placement I still had a misaligned fuselage which only showed itself when it came to add the resin Merlin.

The resin Merlin really was a little model by itself and the levels of detail are astounding. The actual construction was very straight forward and as long as you take your time separating the pieces from the resin casting blocks it went together well as did the resin gun bays. My only grip with the Merlin is that Eduard don't provide any details for the ignition leads on the top of the engine, I did think about adding them but I did't have a thin enough wire and to be honest I am worried out ruining the engine.

The model was painted to represent Spitfire EN286, AX*8 of 1 Sqn SAAF, Luqa, Malta June 1943. I didn't realize that the roundels should be a more orange colour not the red that I painted them, however I'm happy with how they turned out. I weathered the model using oils and I'm very happy with how easy they were to manipulate and I'm happy with how they look.

My Spitfire Mk.IXc Thank you. (WIP here)

pic 11 pic 12 pic 13 pic 14 pic 15 pic 16 pic 17 pic 18 pic 19 pic 20 pic 21 pic 22 pic 23

Til next 

Iain

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

Excellent work, and a relatively quick build, too! I lost track of the WIP, but I’m glad I didn’t miss this. The detail painting you’ve done is quite remarkable. The engine looks great, as does the individual shells you’ve painted. 

Thank you for sharing this tremendous build!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, russ c said:

Amazing work, superb!

Hey Russ

From you that means a lot.

10 hours ago, chris148 said:

Absolutely stunning modelling in every respect

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

That's an incredible build, I'd think it was 1/32 if you didn't say it was 1/48!

Hi Adam

Thanks for the kind words mate, its a great kit that does have all the details of something bigger.

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Awesome detail - congratulations! :clap2:

Hi Dunny

Cheers buddy

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent build with the exposed engine. :worthy:

Thank you.

4 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Excellent work, and a relatively quick build, too! I lost track of the WIP, but I’m glad I didn’t miss this. The detail painting you’ve done is quite remarkable. The engine looks great, as does the individual shells you’ve painted. 

Thank you for sharing this tremendous build!

Hey Rad

Cheers buddy, its the small things like the shell casings that make a difference.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Stunning work, Iain. 

Thank you sir

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Lovely job mate 👌🏽

Hey Tony

Thanks a lot mate.

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Wowzers!  Amazing.  

You are too kind.

Gents thank you so much for your very kind words.

There are plenty of flaws with the build and I wish I had the skill set to add those blummin ignition cables on the top of the engine, I've found some very fine lead wire but I still don't have the confidence to attempt them.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

11 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Gents thank you so much for your very kind words.

There are plenty of flaws with the build and I wish I had the skill set to add those blummin ignition cables on the top of the engine, I've found some very fine lead wire but I still don't have the confidence to attempt them.

Give it a shot on a radial aircraft engine, will be a little easier than diving right in on a Merlin. I can share a tutorial with you on another site if you’d like!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RadMax8 said:

Give it a shot on a radial aircraft engine, will be a little easier than diving right in on a Merlin. I can share a tutorial with you on another site if you’d like!

Hey Rad

I'd appreciate it if you could, I'm happy doing most things but those ignition leads (or lack of) are bugging me.

Cheers

Iain

Simply incredible Iain!!!!!  I am at a loss for words. What the others have posted sum up my thoughts on this subject.  Your attention to detail is second to none and I respect your talent as an artist and historian!!!!!!!

Take a well deserved bow Iain!!!!!! :worthy:

Respectfully,

Mike

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:20 PM, Gary Brantley said:

Wow, superbly detailed, built and painted!    That's a great Spitfire!  :clap2::worthy:

Hey Gary

Cheers buddy.

On 3/6/2020 at 9:42 PM, DAG058 said:

Great work, nice one! 

Thank you

On 3/7/2020 at 3:08 AM, SAT69 said:

Exquisite! I don't know what else to say.

On 3/7/2020 at 3:36 AM, 72modeler said:

What the others have said goes double for me! You can almost smell the avgas and oil in the engine compartment. Beautiful all the way around.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the kind words mate

On 3/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, gazza l said:

Amazing build, she looks stunning.

Gazza l 

Gazza

Thank you

On 3/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, Sky Keg said:

Simply incredible Iain!!!!!  I am at a loss for words. What the others have posted sum up my thoughts on this subject.  Your attention to detail is second to none and I respect your talent as an artist and historian!!!!!!!

Take a well deserved bow Iain!!!!!! :worthy:

Respectfully,

Mike

Mike

Thank you for your very kind words buddy.There is plenty wrong with my build but I really appreciate you taking time out and commenting on my build.

Cheers everyone

Iain

Wow. Had you not said Eduard 1/48, I'd have guessed Tamiya 1/32.

A pleasure for the eyes (if I can keep my eyeballs from falling out of my head).

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Wow. Had you not said Eduard 1/48, I'd have guessed Tamiya 1/32.

A pleasure for the eyes (if I can keep my eyeballs from falling out of my head).

Thanks mate

Iain