As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Markh-75

Whats your latest acquisition? Part IV

Seeing as I can no longer get out into the countryside for some desperately needed nature, I have bought some night scented stock and verbena seeds in order to entice moths, butterflies and bees into the garden. Mrs lasermonkey bought some tomato, pepper, chilli and raspberry plug plants from a local garden centre that is delivering. Should help keep us busy!

The Alexen sanding sticks (or grinding sticks as they call them) arrived and immediately proved useful. They're small, etched steel files, but with no cutting surface. Instead, they're smooth, the idea being that you use sticky-backed wet'n'dry paper. In my case, I used double sided tape, as the sticky-backed wet'n'dry hadn't arrived at the time. The widths of these sticks  are 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.75mm, 3mm, 3.5mm and 4mm. I found them ideal for getting into tight areas and for getting rid of seams on oleos, etc. Well worth the £5.50 I paid, and I think I might get some wider ones as well.

Sadly not Modelling bits - but more computer bits (my other vice as SWMBO would put it!)

Samsung Evo 960 1TB SSD https://www.ebuyer.com/824750-samsung-860-evo-1tb-ssd-mz-76e1t0b-eu

Crucilal 500GB P1 M2 NVME SSD  https://www.ebuyer.com/863788-crucial-p1-500gb-3d-nand-nvme-pcie-m-2-ssd-ct500p1ssd8

More upgrades to feed my geek and gamer side!

11 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

The Alexen sanding sticks (or grinding sticks as they call them) arrived and immediately proved useful. They're small, etched steel files, but with no cutting surface. Instead, they're smooth, the idea being that you use sticky-backed wet'n'dry paper. In my case, I used double sided tape, as the sticky-backed wet'n'dry hadn't arrived at the time. The widths of these sticks  are 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.75mm, 3mm, 3.5mm and 4mm. I found them ideal for getting into tight areas and for getting rid of seams on oleos, etc. Well worth the £5.50 I paid, and I think I might get some wider ones as well.

Where did you get those from?

Airfix magazine, SAMI - the bumper March/April issue, which as I don't have subscriptions to either I fear might be the last magazines I get for a little while.

7 hours ago, Wez said:

Where did you get those from?

Hi Wez, these are the ones I bought. As I said, I found them really useful in the short time I've had them.

Cheers,

Mark.

23 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Hi Wez, these are the ones I bought. As I said, I found them really useful in the short time I've had them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for that Mark.

Bundle of complete/part-used kit decal sheets in various scales from eBay for the spares box.

Contour Blood Sugar Test Meter from Ninewells Hospital , used to have something similar years ago but my GP stopped supplying test strips and lancets because it was no longer protocol (i.e. the budget for it was withdrawn) to do home testing but as from January my care has been transferred from him to the Hospital Clinic and that was me getting to the top of the queue last week but as it is one of the services that have shut down for the duration I got a telephone consultation instead.     Ten minute chat with one of the nurses , explained what I felt was the cause of my problem , he suggested home testing , the meter arrived Monday and by his next call on Friday it looks as if we might have identified a slight anomaly in my daily readings , planning to clarify that with the next week of readings and then attempt a fix by tweaking my medication . . . . .  loosing all feeling in my lacerated fingertips though !!

Use the side of your finger rather than the tip, Des. It's generally less painful and doesn't bleed so much. And use a different finger each time. You have eight! I've been testing mine for years.

5 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Use the side of your finger rather than the tip, Des. It's generally less painful and doesn't bleed so much. And use a different finger each time. You have eight! I've been testing mine for years.

Just getting back into the habit of keeping track of where and on which finger and which hand each time although after a week of testing four times daily to get a baseline now on to alternating days of before breakfast and tea with days of before lunch and bedtime cuppa. 

The kit and associated parts by Ultracast for the Corsair group build starting in May. Hopefully everything will arrive in time,

Assorted paints, Clearfix and thinner from Wonderland Models; very quick service, too.  Well done!

Hasegawa P-40N in 1/48 scale picked for £18 on eBay from someone having a clear out sale. Pretty pleased with that price. 

James 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Cheers,

Mark.

Some of these Alexen sanding sticks as brought to my attention by Mark @lasermonkey

Edited by Wez

Four bottles of Mr Colour paints, basically colours I couldn't find readily elsewhere. These are for some MiG-21MFs and JASDF Phantoms.

Posted (edited)

Bought a set of 6 sable brushes from ABC Brushes; not that i'll need them now though. I should not have started doing models. It was the wrong time, the virus has closed down a load of suppliers who i doubt will recover. No point doing something i cant keep up. Wasnt much good at it anyway. This being stuck in all this time is getting to me, it affects my concentration (i have very little at best) and i dont feel like going near modelling now. I'm virtually climbing the walls. I've unplugged the TV as i'm fed up with all the doom and gloom. Gonna stay in bed. Wake me when its all over.

Edited by Markh-75

Airfix MiG-17 and Special Hobby P-40N from MJW, 3D-printed Su-57 and Pe-2 resin interior "decals" from Quinta Studios, a copy of Johnnie Johnson: Spitfire Top Gun Part 2 by Dilip Sarkar, which I've been after for ages, a bunch of paint masks, and twelve(!) sheets of DK Decals, including their RAAF P-40s, Med Spitfire Aces, and others. Just doing my part to inject fresh hot pounds into the UK economy during this difficult time. Also two Akan paint sets for Soviet WWII fighters and bombers during the latter part of the war from Linden Hill Imports, and three books on RAAF aircraft from that neat series that does three aircraft types to a book from a Facebook auction for a very reasonable price.

Also, many blu-rays, including Bad Day at Black Rock, Rope, Miller's Crossing, Key Largo, The Big Combo, Shane, schlock disaster Shocking Dark (aka Terminator 2 in countries with weaker intellectual property laws), Double Indemnity, and the UK-region blu-ray of Sink the Bismarck. 

More stuff due to my incompetence, turns out the lined paper I ordered on amazon wasn’t lined and the Revell a320neo doesn’t have the engines for the airline of choice. So now some actual lined paper and a Revell a321neo (which has both engines) are on their way, plus some Revell glue as there is not much left in the bottle. 

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Also, many blu-rays, including Bad Day at Black Rock, Rope, Miller's Crossing, Key Largo, The Big Combo, Shane, schlock disaster Shocking Dark (aka Terminator 2 in countries with weaker intellectual property laws), Double Indemnity, and the UK-region blu-ray of Sink the Bismarck. 

I found your mention of Shocking Dark intriguing, so I looked it up on IMDb.

it wasn’t you that left this review, was it;

“Rent this movie as fast as you can. I am so shocked that this was not up for any awards. This is on my top ten of all time.”

A Montex paint mask, HGW fabric seat belts, Aber and Master metal gun barrels for Spandaus (couldn't decide between them) all for my Wingnut Wings Albatros build I'm about to start (after many many months procrastination).

Duncan B

More GB prep work.
The Roc struck a chord with me due to the type's sole redeeming appearance in Op. Dynamo.

It'll fit in well with the Tamiya Mk.I Spit.

The cookies are for a Lanc to be accompanied by the AFX supply kit, and the Meteor is a stand-in for the Red line Airfix kit I want to keep intact.

y4md3RZ8hJ9RIBLSJhHIbJcxYZ7XAm_Xsseb0swx

My last kit was a 'Special Hobby' Severski P-35A ; only thing lacking is the little locating pins normally found in airfix kits so be careful when gluing together the two halves of things. Makes sure they're absolutely inline. Other than that its a good little kit.

About half the stash consists of limited/short-run kits, I'm used to that :P 

9 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

My last kit was a 'Special Hobby' Severski P-35A...

Have you been watching Kermit Weeks on youtube recently? He has Igor Sikorsky's son for a 3-part interview and in the final part they discuss Seversky's exit from the Soviet union and work in America. They do this infront of KW's P-35 and I found the entire interview really interesting.

No, havent seen that. my TV is unplugged; i'm fed up with all the same stuff about the virus, all day doom and gloom, over and over again. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though, when i feel like turning the TV back on i'll try and find this. my P-35 is built and painted but i havent applied the decals. Its still down in my workroom which i have not been near for the past few days, when my depression hits me hard like this i dont go near models. i'm not getting any support with my mental health due to this virus as everything has closed down.

7 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

when i feel like turning the TV back on i'll try and find this.

There's several channels I use these days that feature historical aviation material/documentaries. And after that, YT's recommendations usually get tuned to that.
Old Warden has pilot talks on their channel, Kermit Weeks/Fantasy of Flight has an enormous backlog, PaddyPatrone's got some nice stuff....
Plenty to see that can take your mind off of today's woes.