As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Markh-75

Whats your latest acquisition? Part IV

Looking like it will be a fantastic kit! I have two tanks, a Pershing/ Snow Leopard and a Tiger 1. Both are remote controlled and in 1:16 scale. I love the Tiger! A very commanding looking machine! It’s got engine noise and it used to have a smoke generator but it’s ‘smoked’. Still a great toy for an old boy. 
This tank looks like my Pershing tank although yours has a longer main gun, still nice👍

I think this will be the last item from Hannants for a while.

Several sets of RAF serials - different colours and sizes in 1/72, and a set of 1/72 20mm cannon in short fairings for the 1/72 Firefly mk. 5 I'm currently building. I already have the 1/72 20 mm cannon in long fairings for the firefly mk. 1 I'm also currently building.

SAM_8902

SAM_8901

oh dear. poor photos. oops.

The Hannants Xtradecals are excellent; its like they have one for every aircraft, and every occasion! 

Last addition to the Spey Phantoms (I think - might have another FGR2 for the blue scheme).
The FAA boxing came in today. 

y4mmy_DaRGAdVD3cctczDGSQ90ye9egx8z3-jvqn

Love the F4! The black one is known as Black Mike the last F4 from 111sqdn RAF at RAF Leuchars in Fife, Scotland. It’s now in a museum. RAF Leuchars has a brilliant air show each year until it closed as an RAF station in 2013. It was handed to the British Army. After the end of the Cold War the base was no longer needed as a frontline station even though to this day Russian bombers still venture towards UK airspace. 
I’ll bet you will sleep well knowing this. 😂 

I did a Skype call with my bestest little buddy Noah (my friends' six-year old) the other day and he was telling me that his favourite tank is the Sherman. I also know that he's crazy about landing craft and D-Day in general, so I bought an Airfix Sherman/LCM combo and I'll build it for him for when lockdown's over.

9 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

The Hannants Xtradecals are excellent; its like they have one for every aircraft, and every occasion! 

They are. I'm not so sure about my ability to make up idea and aerials for different planes from them, but if you don't take the challenge....

I'm sure there are materials you can use for aerials, its profiled plastic rods, from up to 1mm to over 3mm, and suitable for the kind of wing surfaces you can see on a JU-52, but the thin stuff is great for aerials; i got mine on Hannants many years ago (and i still have some) so i dont know how much it costs now but it wont be much, the pack will be about 10" long with various rods in it. Very handy.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I did a Skype call with my bestest little buddy Noah (my friends' six-year old) the other day and he was telling me that his favourite tank is the Sherman. I also know that he's crazy about landing craft and D-Day in general, so I bought an Airfix Sherman/LCM combo and I'll build it for him for when lockdown's over.

I believe there are various kits featuring 'Hobarts Funnies' on the market, i've seen them recently.

Something i found online this morning!

https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Askuka.html

Edited by Markh-75

1 minute ago, Markh-75 said:

I'm sure there are materials you can use for aerials, its profiled plastic rods, from up to 1mm to over 3mm, and suitable for the kind of wing surfaces you can see on a JU-52, but the thin stuff is great for aerials; i got mine on Hannants many years ago (and i still have some) so i dont know how much it costs now but it wont be much, the pack will be about 10" long with various rods in it. Very handy.

I'm afraid you were a victim of my phone's auto correct! I meant serials, as opposed to aerials. I've now edited my original comment.

I either use evergreen plastic rod, or brass rod - of a suitable thickness for aerials and pitots, if I don't use master models' pitots.

5 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I believe there are various kits featuring 'Hobarts Funnies' on the market, i've seen them recently.

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

I'm afraid you were a victim of my phone's auto correct! I meant serials, as opposed to aerials. I've now edited my original comment.

I either use evergreen plastic rod, or brass rod - of a suitable thickness for aerials and pitots, if I don't use master models' pitots.

Hahahaha, pred text; its a nightmare innit?🤣 Still the idea is 'out there' now. I use the kit parts unless missing or busted but there are many other substitute parts from other kits i can use; i keep them all in a series of little plastic boxes with lids and labelled so i know where to look!😉

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I meant serials, as opposed to aerials.

There's sheets with RAF 8 and 4 inch BLACK serial numbers and letters, so you can match your subject.

You might have to wait for the backorder though, apparently I nabbed the last one on Monday :P

Just now, alt-92 said:

There's sheets with RAF 8 and 4 inch BLACK serial numbers and letters, so you can match your subject.

You might have to wait for the backorder though, apparently I nabbed the last one on Monday :P

Its something i should stock up on, different colours of Star & Bars, lettering all for USAAF and US Navy, WW2 1:72 scale! At the moment i go with the decals in the box but if they're no good that's when i buy alternates, they often come with a good colour plan too!

Have ordered this bad boy and waiting for it to arrive. 

Was massively impressed with the real aircraft's agility when seeing it at Fairford previously, really quite spectacular. 

Hoping it will be a challenge (it will be the biggest kit I have attempted) and also might have a go at the white/US Coast Guard scheme - again haven't had much success with bright colours before so will be learning something new with that too. 

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

An Eduard 1/72 MiG 21MF, the Profipack fighter bomber boxing, to be precise. I happened across a Creative Models damaged box listing on eBay and as I've been contemplating having a go at the -21 recently, thought it was an opportune moment.

Also, a Whirlybird  1/72 Javelin FAW.7 conversion for the Airfix FAW.9.

Edited by lasermonkey

Posted (edited)

What? The cutters?

:coat:

Edited by alt-92

Latest acquisition :  combined set of headache, cough, wheeze, sore chest.....   :sick:

10 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

What? The cutters?

The cutters were very expensive I got the kit free😁😁

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:29 AM, Procopius said:

Fine fine fine, JUST FOR YOU, MIKE, an MPM A-20G and an Arma Hurricane IIc from MJW. The things I do for the British small businessman...

Very much appreciated!  I don't know how the postal service and customs are over there - hopefully there won't be many delays due to the current world situation.

thanks

Mike

51 minutes ago, peterairfix said:

The cutters were very expensive I got the kit free😁😁

You've been shopping at the same place as me. 😉

20200327-184326.jpg

Some Red Mullet which we've just had for tea, some halibut steaks and some smoked haddock from a fishmonger who normally supplies London restaurants.  Reasonably priced and fresh as you like - that's a few meals sorted out for the forthcoming long haul...

Another upgrade to the PC.

This time the Graphics card - replacing the old (in computing terms) Nvidia GTX970 card that's been in the old & new PC since Sept 2015 (that's positively prehistoric in PC terms!)

This time to be replaced with an Nvidia RTX2070.

Double the amount of onboard memory, and a massive step up in terms of gaming grunt for the new PC that was built back in late Jan / early Feb this year.

Thought I'd get it now whilst I could still place online orders from my regular hardware suppliers!

https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2070-mini#overview

Posted (edited)

I acquired these three kits today along with some Mk.VIII Spitfire decals, from a local member of the Forum. 65fZztr.jpg

0CyUSS6.jpg

Looking forward to these builds, the F-84 will be Illinois A.N.G. and the Two Kittyhawk’s will be Desert Air force. My first P-40/Kittyhawk’s in Desert camouflage. I have a 3rd P-40K in 1/48 that will be C.B.I. Theatre, probably Burma banshee’s or Assam Dragons. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle