Whats your latest acquisition? Part IV

Pre-ordered the MMP PZL P.11c book from Arma, and since I didn't want it to get lonely, also grabbed another 1/72 P.11c expert set from them to go with.

• Like 4

Weirdly, the Gunze paints that I ordered from a seller in Taiwan  and had subsequently been returned to them (as apparently Taiwan post had suspended international post) somehow arrived anyway yesterday.

• Like 1

Just received the Dremel 3000 set from my brother for my birthday. I'd been struggling with a cheaper non-branded tool for years now and has been wanting to go full Dremel plus accessories for some time now. The 220 Workstation for the above lands in the week along with some other pressies! :D

• Like 1
20 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Weirdly, the Gunze paints that I ordered from a seller in Taiwan  and had subsequently been returned to them (as apparently Taiwan post had suspended international post) somehow arrived anyway yesterday.

Same here; I ordered from AKO Hobby in Taiwan in March the 17th and was checking that after ten days the tracking number placed the parcel again at Taiwan, so I contacted the shop and they told me that the parcel was returned to them. No international shipping until further notice. So, were you noticed about the international post suspension by the seller? 

Dremel is brilliant, especially with the flexi-drive! I have mine hanging on a stand ready for use at any time at my workstation; i run it slow on models because it can easily melt a model if you're not careful. Less than half speed with either a disk or a cutter (ball, cone shape, flat sander. Its great but can do alot of damage, just be very careful; its great for cutting resin parts of the sprues but again be very careful.

Oh, btw; Happy Birthday!!:party:🎂

8 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Same here; I ordered from AKO Hobby in Taiwan in March the 17th and was checking that after ten days the tracking number placed the parcel again at Taiwan, so I contacted the shop and they told me that the parcel was returned to them. No international shipping until further notice. So, were you noticed about the international post suspension by the seller? 

Yeah, the seller told me that the parcel had been returned to them due to suspension of international post and they gave me a refund. I subsequently sourced the paints in the UK.

Quite how they managed to escape and find their way here, I don't know!

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Yeah, the seller told me that the parcel had been returned to them due to suspension of international post and they gave me a refund. I subsequently sourced the paints in the UK.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Is there any way to learn or find out when international post will be resumed back to normal again in Taiwan that you possibly knew of?

Cheers,

Unc2

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Thanks a lot for the reply. Is there any way to learn or find out when international post will be resumed back to normal again in Taiwan that you possibly knew of?

Cheers,

Unc2

I'm afraid not. They just said that they could either offer a refund or send the paints once the restrictions were lifted. It's hard to predict anything at the moment!

Cheers,

Mark.

A postwar Webley IV to go with my Enfield No2 MkI. Mrs P has been surprisingly cool about it all, I have to say. It's a little harder to hide buying a revolver than a model airplane.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

...It's a little harder to hide buying a revolver than a model airplane.

Should've told her you were just pleased to see her :) 

Cheers,

Stewe

• Haha 10

A pair of Fly Bristol 170s - a Mk 21 (to be built as an ANA aircraft) and a Mk 31 (to be an Air Express one). Not cheap, but streets ahead of the old Airfix Superfrightener!

• Like 2

A load of paints for the Navy kits i have to make, and a general stock up, needed more white and black and a yellow too.

My mouse cursor just accidentally clicked on a Hasegawa F9F panther and a Falcon canopy set and then the 'buy' button.

No idea how that happened. 

:innocent:

• Haha 2

Yeah i am always aware of what my mouse is doing, for that very reason, i always walk away with the spoils but find it starts getting costly before long!:giggle: I only let him out when i'm at the Mac but he goes back in his cage when i'm not there🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An Airfix  Be.2C kit & an Airfix (MPC) Boeing 737 1/144 kit, separate buys from the local auction site, the Be.2c when I realised I didn't have one, probably, after following @AdrianMF's great build, the 737 was one I'd been after for ages, as the only bidder, I was happy, the price was right in both instances. :) Also, a couple of Warpaint volumes, AW Whitley & Avro Lincoln, goodness the Lincoln 1/72 drawings are huge, thought they were 1/48 to begin with, also "I flew for the Fuhrer, Heinz Knoke", a fund raiser for the Ferrymead museum, what I call a good cause. 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

Nice :)  At least that's 1/144 so decals aren't a problem.

I've a 1/125 Heller 737-100 somewhere, fat chance of getting something for that. 
(maybe I should raid the spares tin and go for a T-43a lookalike)
Which reminds me I should also look for a set for that SkyKings Airfix Concorde - I kinda like the Pan-Am whatif livery....

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 2

They’ve arrived! The B-26 (Airfix) AND the Martin Mariner (by Minicraft)!

The Mariner (by Martin Aviation and NOT Morris Marina by Austin Morris  Motors!!) 🤣😂😂 is a cracking kit! Each sprue  is in a bag of its own, comes with a choice of open or closed bomb bays, open or closed cowl flaps, wing flaps and most control surfaces move, it comes as a PBM-5a amphibious model or it can be made as a seaplane with beaching gear! That’s just some of the features and general quality is high. It’s a very nice kit indeed with a page for each assembly stage rather than a couple of pages with many windows for each stage. A great addition to my collection! VERY looking forward to this build!

i am also looking forward to making the Marauder, I made one before and it turned out excellent so I see no reason for this one to be any different; the marauder is one of my favourite bombers. Its desc' said it was new in a sealed bag; in reality it was in a re-sealable bag! It has been opened but i have checked it thoroughly and everything is there so i wont bother complaining.

I only ordered the Mariner a week ago from USA; that was quick. Well done USPS and Royal Mail who let me know of its journey all the way!

i was hoping my scales would have arrived by now. Maybe by the end of the week!

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1

They tend to make airliner kits in 1/144 simply because even the smaller jets like the 737 are bigger than people think. One of my online friends worked as a firefighter at Glasgow Airport and one day a B-17 landed; it looked minuscule beside even the nearest 737 and it was a fair sized aircraft in its day of about 30 tons.

imagine even a 737 in 1/72 scale! You would need a hangar to keep it in!😳

• Like 1

Yesterday..........................

photo-th.jpg

And looking for.............................

photo-th.jpg

• Like 2
On 5/3/2020 at 4:44 PM, Markh-75 said:

Dremel is brilliant, especially with the flexi-drive! I have mine hanging on a stand ready for use at any time at my workstation; i run it slow on models because it can easily melt a model if you're not careful. Less than half speed with either a disk or a cutter (ball, cone shape, flat sander. Its great but can do alot of damage, just be very careful; its great for cutting resin parts of the sprues but again be very careful.

Trick when using your Dremel on styrene is not to be too long in contact with the plastic. I once carried my tool to the dentist because I always use to nag her by asking for the discarded bits in her inventory, so I took the Dremel to her office to check whether the different diametres of shafts she used would fit the collets.

So the sheila (doctor) suggested that I bring some of the plastic along with it. She would ask me whether the tool worked with a compressor and the injection of water, as the usual dental tools do.

Long story short; she taught me the right technique how not to melt plastic down, which is very similar to how dentists work with their drills on teeth. It's the very brief touches on the plastic rather than getting fixated on the task for too long.

Also, the flexible shafts help slowing down both speed and torque of the Dremel. The finer the grit of bit, the lesser you've got to touch the plastic with it.

That, or get a Proxxon tool.

Cheers,

Unc2   

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

One thing I don’t do with is sand plastic, it just melts it. Even small touches. Sand by hand!

Uh-huh, Mark. The Dremel sanding bands and drums I've ne'er dug anyways. How to sand flat surfaces with "they're" round sander? And grit of sanding bands is way too coarse for styrene even when you've got to sand round shapes. 

Sanding disks I've ne'er managed to control.

Yeh, me haven't...

Cheers,

Unc2

I've used it to very carefully skim a surface to thin it out with a very fine cutting disk but even that will melt it unless as you have mentioned, its done in very small quick touches at a time. I used it when i did the first Helldiver i made (from two wubbish kits) and made one good kit!; very handy when i cut out the area for the wings, but i didnt cut to near the line and on the waste side because i knew i'd have to shave off the melt; then i trimmed it with a knife. Mine is set up at my workspace and very handy for cutting resin parts from their sprues.💡

My last Dremel i burned out last year when cutting out a shape from the centre of a ceramic tile:gobsmacked:; i used the correct ceramic cutting disk but suddenly smoke was pouring out of the motor area. Unplugged in a hurry! :phew:Should i ever cut tiles again i wont use the flexi drive!:doh:

In fact i put a diamond disk in my angle grinder and after drilling the four corners I carefully used the angle grinder to cut the centre out of three or four; but i wouldn't recommend it because although i knew wot i woz doing, its very savage on the tile; i'm surprised i didnt shatter them! In the end i did the rest by drilling all the corners with a diamond drill bit and then used a hand tile saw from hole to hole and dug out some patience! :nodding:

4 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

My last Dremel i burned out last year when cutting out a shape from the centre of a ceramic tile

:analintruder: I've ne'er used my Dremel for tasks other than modelling; I once went instant Wyatt bloody Earp when I found my sheila using it to shape her fingernails. Reprimanded her just the same way Jester reprimanded Maverick in the locker rooms for having left his wingman :lol: Put it under lock and key after that 'cause the lazy sheila wouldn't even clean up the dust after it.

The older tools last the longer; I've still got the 3980 series working as new. Think I purchased it back in 1991.

I recommend you add the drill stand to it.

Yeh, me does...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Julien locked this topic