NAA in 479th FG? Wot's that about then

I promised @trickyrich an F-82 for the NAA GB but 17 months later my meds are working and a look at the Modelcollect kit with sanity filtered eyes has caused a change in plans. So with nearly a year to build it I'm chucking my hat in the ring with this

spacer.png

Brought from the BM For Sale thread way back in 2014 :yikes:it's the original Monogram P-51 Mustang kit. If it goes well the F-82 may* happen afterwards. Arrived with the raised panel lines removed and scribed although the wing joints were filled in real life (cos it's a laminar flow wing see). Airframe & Miniature 6 confirms that the kit is basic but sound so I'm going to build this

spacer.png

THIS PAGE among much else shows that the P-38 equipped group used it in their 'Clobber College', these were Combat Schools set up by Groups to instruct new pilots in combat and operational technique after the 8th Air force training units were closed. It was also probably employed by officers attending meetings at other airfields, have a gander HERE at the last photo showing several different unit's aircraft parked up together, seems like a better idea than WW2 British roads ;) More info  HERE and HEREABOUTS. The aforementioned A&M 6 will be my main reference along with Jacek Jackiewicz's 'Hacks - Utility Planes of the Mighty Eighth' I highly recommend both titles.

I will be using a little artist's licence on this; I don't see the yellow exhaust pipes lasting long, I also believe that the first time it hit the workshops at least some stencils would be reapplied. The US taxpayer got good value from this aircraft as it survived the European War and nearly WW2 entirely. All round a worthy subject I feel.  

* - Not a cat in Hell's chance the Sanger Blenheim is enough masochism for one year.

• Like 3

Been searching and Little Friends has a great rundown of the aircraft users, at some stage with the 352FG 486SQN 43-6865 was named Smoky Joe. Then there's the American Air Museum in Britain and a little gem

spacer.png

showing a second conversion

and a great close up of the hood attachment

spacer.png

from HERE note that this one appears to be armed as the gunsight is still present 😮

Now back to fill,sand,check,repeat on this and the Bolly build. This IS fun :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Better news that the Bolly Build on this one.

After much filling sanding and scraping I now have a pretty solid start to this

spacer.png

No matter what I've tried those ribs will not align but as they a) match to the other side and b) will be all but invisible they'll do.

spacer.png

This shows the only fuselage error I've found so far. Easily sorted by a bit of scrap after removing the moulded on doors. The front opening vent thingy has been removed and the rear will probably follow.

spacer.png

The first edition of the kit had cartridge chutes more like the cannon armed Mk.Ia (see photo in linked thread below). These were plugged, the gun openings may need attention as well even if left open.

The wings on a Mustang were pretty smooth at the time of B/C production the front third was sprayed with filler primer before all the panel lines were puttied smooth. The next third just had the filler primer with more under the port wing walkway. The final third was as normal. To try and capture this I filled in all the scribed lines and severely reduced the remaining raised buts. Then a couple of primer coats applied, polished back and checked for blemishes.

spacer.png

The only sink mark on the kit was dealt with at the same time.

Thanks to the Mustang STGB builders especially @Andre B I've got the fin fillet details straight. But first the cockpit which I have invested in an Eduard zoom set designed for the ICM kit. I've also got the Falcon/Squadron canopy set. Frivolous I know but I can do impulse purchasing :D          

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1