Which 1/144 scale orbiter kit for Enterprise

I'm planning to build a 1/144 scale diorama of the shuttle Enterprise making its first touchdown at Edwards air force base.   I've hopefully sourced an engine shroud. Next I need to make two decisions. Which base model to use and  who makes the best decals for the early Enterprise livery?
The excellent Space in Miniature publication points firmly to Revell's offering as the best kit for this purpose, but this was before Dragon brought out there version.  How do the Revell and Dragon versions compare?
Also, who makes the most accurate windows for Enterprise?
Thanks

I wasn't aware of a Dragon 1/144 Orbiter.  However, Flory Models has an in-box review which you may find useful.

The ones I do know about are - 

Revell

Airfix

Minicraft

The Revell kit was originally issued way back in 1979 (before the Shuttle flew into space) and was available in an Enterprise/747 version. From that point of view, in this guise it came with the tail shroud and decals for Enterprise as worn during the aerodynamic tests conducted in 1977. It also came with the long air data probe which was fitted to Enterprise during those tests.

I built the Revell kit in the "Boosters and Tank" version around 1981 and I assumed at the time it was reasonably accurate. I doubt if it really was and certainly the painting instructions included in the boxing I had were not accurate for the only flying Orbiter in 1981 - Columbia.

I have never built the Airfix Orbiter but I have heard that, outline wise, it is pretty good. Also, the External Tank is correct.

The one I have built most recently is the Minicraft kit. It is probably the LEAST accurate of the 1/144 Shuttles. I bought it at the time (about ten years ago) because none of the other Orbiter/Tank/Booster kits were available.

It has shape issues around the nose area and it also lacks the corrugated section on the External Tank.

When I built it I did my best to correct those deficiencies.

Ult2jJjl.jpg

• Like 1

I have not seen the Dragon shuttle, but apparently they have molded an entry hatch on both the left and right sides of the clear canopy section of the kit.

Yes, I picked that up on some of the reviews I've been reading since this thread started. That's about par for the course for the research undertaken by Dragon into a subject. They produce beautifully moulded kits - often with some glaring and rather silly errors.