Swedish Thunderbolt

reini

Thanks for the suggestions :) I was prepared to do some battle - but they didn't put up much of a fight.

spacer.png

Some Tamiya tape, pressed if firmly on the decals - and off they came, almost as one piece :)

spacer.png

New decals on. These are from the kit sheet that are printed by Cartograph (the ones I removed were Moose Rebuplic).

spacer.png

Much better!

• Like 6

spacer.png

Satin coat on and ready for getting things dirty.

spacer.png

As usually - I went with Flory Models Dark Dirt wash.

spacer.png

The underside. Wash has been dried so we can start cleaning up the mess...

spacer.png

Rear part pretty much done, just some little bits here and there. I want to create little bit dirty look for this Viggen.

spacer.png

Chipping. I chipped only the leading edges as there are already quite a lot of happening with the camo itself. And Viggens don't seem to be chipped too much in general.

spacer.png

Clear parts, painted and ready to go on.

spacer.png

Akan gun pods. This time I was smart(er) and used tape to hold the end of the barrel while placing it it, so it doesn't sink inside the pod again...

spacer.png

Rb05's got some paint too, painting the yellow stripes.

spacer.png

Ordnance done! Ready to be loaded onto the plane.

We are getting real close! :) Some weathering and fiddly bits to add still.

Also had time to do some BBQ today!:thumbsup:

spacer.png

Weber is ready.

spacer.png

Todays menu consisted of potatoes with some butter, BBQ salmon and cucumber salad. I'm more of a red meat kinda guy - but this was good too. My better half had a birthday so I did something that I knew she liked :)

Anyway, until next time. Should be real close finishing this now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

Rear fuselage usually seems to be quite grubby with the Viggens, so I dirtied it up a bit.

spacer.png

The other side.

spacer.png

The underside got some streaks'n leaks too.

spacer.png

Close up. I use mostly MiG stuff for the weathering.

spacer.png

Master pitot tubes. The small one is AoA probe, I've drilled a hole for it, ready to attach it.

spacer.png

Cockpit masks are off. No touch ups required, which is always nice.

spacer.png

Nose pitot tube in place. It's hard to make plastic parts as sharp and fine as this.

spacer.png

The other pitot (?) or antenna (?) on the tail.

spacer.png

Weapons hot! 

spacer.png

I think we are done! :) Apart from the base, again. Really need to get a move on with those.

I will post better pics of the finished plane later on! :) 

• Like 6

Excellent work Reini! Your Viggen looks great. I admire that splinter camouflage wishing that my example will turn out half as good as yours. I got the Tarangus 1/48 scale and painting masks in the stash.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

That looks grand!!! :thumbsup:

Just be careful with the AOA probe...it really hurts when you grab the model by the nose by mistakes! 

I think next time we'll have to have the "Bosse & Reini Nordic Cooking show!!" :eat:  :D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I got the Tarangus 1/48 scale and painting masks in the stash.

You poor man!!!! 

A few of us have been there and never been the same since!

That said I've already mentioned that I want to build another one of there! :wall:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

You poor man!!!! 

A few of us have been there and never been the same since!

That said I've already mentioned that I want to build another one of there! :wall:

Rich,

I've already converted their A32A Lansen into an J32E "Störlansen" (EW variant). After that i think I'll survive with the Viggen😉

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 4

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

That looks grand!!! :thumbsup:

Just be careful with the AOA probe...it really hurts when you grab the model by the nose by mistakes! 

I think next time we'll have to have the "Bosse & Reini Nordic Cooking show!!" :eat:  :D

Yeah, that same thought came into my mind the second I installed it. 

@Marlin is the star of the cooking show, I can be the akward Finnish guest :D 

@Antti_K That's a very nice looking Lansen! :) 

---- 

Right. I think it's done! Apart from the base. I'll get to it, I swear! :D 

But in the mean time - some pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Viggen with some of it's Nordic friends. It is my build number 5 for the GB so far.

spacer.png

My Hasegawa Viggen from roughly a year ago. Very old kit with quite basic details and some odd looking shapes (like the nose). Also the details make it obvious that it's a prototype version, so I painted it like one (non saw-tooth wing, no bulge front of the tail etc). Brush painted beast that doesn't really hold up to any closer inspection than this - but it's still nice to have in my collection.

Edited by reini
  • Like 7

Kiitos Reini🙂

That Lansen required a great deal of work. And just when I got her ready, Tarangus released their J32... One of the Swedish guys here on BM (Bosse perhaps) talked me over to build the Hobbyboss kit. Let's see what will happen. I bought a book about Lansens from KSAK, Stockholm.

At the moment I'm also converting the Tarangus SAAB B17A into a Finnish AF target tug. Then of course I have Tarangus Safir waiting by the bench.

Simaa ja tippaleipää😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Haha 1

well done Reini she looks awesome inflight.......even if theres a Nikko stuck up her butt! :D

I love the finish on her, it looks just right, nicely done.  :thumbsup:

They all go very nicely together. now is it just one to go?

• Like 1

spacer.png

So, how do you like my display base? :D 

In all honesty, I'm still thinking what to do with this. I kinda wanted to do water but not currently having materials for it and timeline is closing in fast I think it's a test for some other time. Just flat ground feels bit dull - but then again I don't want to do anything too complicated either, it has to be simple enough so that I have time to do it and this will be just a display base and not a proper diorama. I just know I want to do an autumn scene.

So, any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

you know what, it would take a wee bit of time and materials, but cover the base with model railway trees all nice and close together. Then cover them with fake snow and have this beast flying just over the tree tops!!!!!  :pilot:

• Like 1

If you want to do water as the base I wrinkled up a sheet of kitchen foil and PVA glued it to a base, painted it dark grey and dry-brushed lighter greys on to highlight the waves, bit simple perhaps but it serves the purpose for my Seafire and was quick. Planning similar on a Bucc project in the STGB now.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 02:28, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

How about a runway with brown grass down the side? Do you ever have brown grass in Finland? :D

Sure we do :) But I'm already having three runways, I guess I wanna do something else... or then again, it would make sense having all four at around airfield...  :hmmm:

On 02/05/2020 at 04:33, trickyrich said:

you know what, it would take a wee bit of time and materials, but cover the base with model railway trees all nice and close together. Then cover them with fake snow and have this beast flying just over the tree tops!!!!!  :pilot:

Now that sounds epic! And I gotta do that. But maybe not for this time. Too little time & money - and for this purpose probably makes it too tall. If I didn't already mention it but I'm displaying this in together with the Super Sabre, Starfighter & Fishbed. So a Super Sabre will be Danish Air Force, spring time, trainer, on the tarmac. Norwegian Starfighter taking off for intercept mission in summer. Swedish striker, in flight, autumn. Finnish recon Fishbed on winter, just landed. I'm hoping they look cool all four side by side!

22 hours ago, Col. said:

If you want to do water as the base I wrinkled up a sheet of kitchen foil and PVA glued it to a base, painted it dark grey and dry-brushed lighter greys on to highlight the waves, bit simple perhaps but it serves the purpose for my Seafire and was quick. Planning similar on a Bucc project in the STGB now.

Now there's an idea. I'll try if I can do somekind of water base, probably bit of a shoreline too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reini said:

If I didn't already mention it but I'm displaying this in together with the Super Sabre, Starfighter & Fishbed. So a Super Sabre will be Danish Air Force, spring time, trainer, on the tarmac. Norwegian Starfighter taking off for intercept mission in summer. Swedish striker, in flight, autumn. Finnish recon Fishbed on winter, just landed. I'm hoping they look cool all four side by side!

This sounds like a really cool display!

• Like 1