Tim's Academy SB2C Helldiver - COMPLETED

Outstanding Helldiver!

Indeed the Humbrol 104 does look good for an aircraft having seen a fair bit of action. I would never have thought of it.

In the end, I believe it is much safer to forget about the Academy decals!

Great work and congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1

Great build, I love the Helldiver, I just acquired the Operation Iceberg edition of the Academy kit so I'm hoping it turns out as good as your's.

• Thanks 1

Just added a BIG bomb into the open bomb bay - pinched from my SK build.

Bomb.jpg

And rounding off with this group photo of Helldivers.

Sitting in the SK box, a Matchbox model from Jet Age - planning to repaint with FAA decals.

on the left, my previous Airfix build,  and

on the right, this Academy model.

Helldivers.jpg

This looks quite amazing; i didnt know there was an Academy Helldiver! Fantastic work! The only spray painting i've done was years ago but i found i preferred paint with a hairy thing on a stick, i paint my clear canopies with a brush and then go over it (when dry) with a large manicure stick to remove paint from where it shouldn't be, it doesnt scrape the clear parts and has them looking pretty smart but i do it after each coat (some canopies need more than one coat).

I recently made one good model from two damaged kits myself; one was an Airfix that the fuselage was quite substandard, the other was a Matchbox kit with a busted prop and undercarriage; i did loadsa cutting away to fit the better marked Airfix wing set to the Matchbox fuselage, took some fidgeting but in the end the kit came out looking great! I ordered fresh landing gear and better wheels online as the wheels from both kits were merely round flat, featureless disks! 

Thanks for your post and pictures yours sure looks great!👍😎

Edited by Markh-75

• 6 months later...