Tim's Academy SB2C Helldiver - COMPLETED

I've built one Helldiver before - this Airfix example,

Airfix-Helldiver-FP.jpg

I've got another in the stash, this SK (a copy of Airfix)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sk-model-curtiss-sb2c-helldiver--322004

Planning to build that in Blue/Grey/White during a GB overlap with Corsair STGB.

And I've got a Matchbox model, from Jet Age to repaint with FAA decals during another GB overlap.

• Like 4

You had me worried there - thought I had hibernated and missed March🙂 - I seem to have lost all track of time since I retired and I am even worse when on a GB.

Coming along nicely Tim.

Pete

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2020 at 8:40 PM, PeterB said:

You had me worried there - thought I had hibernated and missed March🙂

It took me ages to work out what you're saying - then I looked at my photos.

Correcting the camera date-stamp.

So - a few thoughts on this kit.  Superb quality mounding, resulting in great definition and fit.

Extended wing only, no folding with this kit, which influenced my decision for overall blue.

Also, open bombay only - a pity that I broke the bomb-cradle removing it from the sprue.

Some of the bits are too fragile, like Yagi aerials - hence I'm leaving those off.

A colleague pointed out that the space between to canopies is too low.  A result of a decision allowing them to be depicted open.

Remedied by a sheet of plasticard moulded over that area.  I didn't do that.

Decals, well there's loads of them,  very difficult to see on the sheet, but very prominent in the aircraft - and they silver!

A new format of instructions, showing greyscale pictures rather than diagrams - can make it difficult to determine precise assembly. 

Academy-Helldiver-Inst.jpg

The undercarriage has been dismantled and reassembled this morning - and I'm still not convinced it's correct.

Academy-Helldiver-Undercarriage.jpg

• Like 3