Airfix Lancaster B1 (FE)

Nice job till now. Last week I have finished a Revell Lancaster Dam Buster motorized and flashlighting. If you want you can see at work in progress and ready for inspection aircraft of forum. I have share and a video. I put Scotish music  (scotish pipes and the song Scotland brave which I like very much) all the UK modellers  said to me that the music is not good choise and I must put the anthem RAF etc, I dont understand such reaction for the music. Am I wrong finally?

Cheers Nikolaos

Edited by nikos
  • Like 1

I've sprayed three coats of white over the top of the wings and fuselage:

white-lanc.jpg

The heater is not quite the right shape (and the front of it is guesswork, due to not being able to see this area very clearly in any photos). However, it is as close as I can get by sanding an old sprue - I'm struggling to hold it any more due to the tiny size! Hopefully it looks better than leaving the side of the fuselage bare?

I've since applied some Mr. Surfacer 1500 to the three little gaps above the heater - paint is refusing to go in here and fill this bit. A final sanding then one more coat of white will hopefully see this colour finished.

Edited by Back in the Saddle
  • Like 6

The white has been sanded back and still needs another coat - that's hopefully happening later today...

Last night I sprayed some black onto the nacelles, engine intakes, undersides of the tailplanes, bomb bay doors and undercarriage doors:

black-bits.jpg

Engine assembly is imminent👍

• Like 5

Just a few progress shots today. The props are painted and built; they just await mating with the engine fronts (which need another coat of black):

props.jpg

The undercarriage components are off the sprue and need painting:

wheels.jpg

And the fuselage is ready for the final coat of black. I had to respray the white on the fuselage sides between the wings and bomb bay - I had assumed this should be black, but I was wrong!

white-side.jpg

Still on track (just!) to be completed in time!

• Like 5

Agree, that’s all coming up very well and quite neatly too. After studying many photographs, I realised that the lower black / white demarcation line varies quite a bit from one airframe to the next. Then there’s the engine cowls where some have the curved scallop, whilst others have a fairly straight edge. Not sure If particular serial numbers had one version of demarcation or not, but it’s all a bit puzzling when you look hard at it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree, that’s all coming up very well and quite neatly too. After studying many photographs, I realised that the lower black / white demarcation line varies quite a bit from one airframe to the next. Then there’s the engine cowls where some have the curved scallop, whilst others have a fairly straight edge. Not sure If particular serial numbers had one version of demarcation or not, but it’s all a bit puzzling when you look hard at it. 

I shall use this as my excuse for any wonky masking! 😂

I have used the box art as reference and am trying to copy that as faithfully as I can.

My take on the Tiger Force scheme is that the White was fairly Matt, however the underside was a Glossy Lamp Black, designed to reflect searchlights. I prefer my models with a slight sheen so will go a satin upper surface and a slightly shinier lower surface.. when I eventually get to the final sheen stage. 
Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Quick question - was the white paint a satin finish on these Lancasters? I’m sure I read that somewhere, as a measure to help reflect heat...

46 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

My take on the Tiger Force scheme is that the White was fairly Matt, however the underside was a Glossy Lamp Black, designed to reflect searchlights. I prefer my models with a slight sheen so will go a satin upper surface and a slightly shinier lower surface.. when I eventually get to the final sheen stage. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Nice work on the heater intake Matt; now I have a standard to aspire to when I do my Far East and Coastal Command Lancasters.

By the end of the war in Europe most aircraft paints were of the Smooth (“Type S”) formulation which gave a very slight sheen (and a very small improvement in performance).  A dead matt finish wouldn’t be appropriate.

When it comes to weathering you have a bit of leeway: the aeroplanes taken to America by 617 and, if memory serves, 35 Squadrons were immaculate, save for the inevitable exhaust staining.  In contrast 207 Squadron’s SW303, illustrated in glorious black and white in the 1968 edition of Putnam’s Aircraft of the Royal Air Force since 1918 by Owen Thetford, looks like an escapee from the station fire dump.  Her engine cowlings, upper fuselage between the spars, walkway areas and rear fuselage skin joints are liberally coated in grot.  By contrast 9 MU’s NX612 illustrated in the same volume is spotless.

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

AFAIK RAF night bombers were painted in a normal bllck paint from 1937 onwards, but in about September 1939 they switched to something called "Special Night" RMD 2 (or 2A which had a slightly different composition I gather). This was a matt "sooty" paint which it was thought would not show up well in searchlights, but it wore badly and also reduced the speed of the plane due to the high drag - I have seen quotes that it knocked up to 25mph off a Beaufighter NF painted in it all over! The final straw was when it was found that it actually stood out even more in a searchlight than normal black, so it was replaced with  "Night Black".

At some point the Type "S" paints began to be introduced. They had finer pigments so the "S" was for "Smooth", and I gather that they had a slight sheen. Meanwhile experiments had shown that counter-intuitively, a gloss finish was better not only in searchlights, but against the sky in general, which is why planes like the Sunderland were given gloss white unders, and the USN were still working on that principle up to and including the grey/white jets, with matt light gull gray on top and glossy white underneath.

So IMHO your Lanc should have glossy undersurfaces which probably weathered to a satin finish. I dare say others might not agree!.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Pete and Steve, thank you for the extra information. I will go for a satin finish - hopefully a good compromise for a worn look?

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

Nice work on the heater intake Matt; now I have a standard to aspire to when I do my Far East and Coastal Command Lancasters.

Thank you, but there was a degree of guesswork involved in exactly how it would look! The first image below shows it from another angle. The white has been dirtied with a dark grey wash:

dirty1.jpg

A similar treatment was carried out on the tail and engine panels:

dirty2.jpg

The undercarriage is partially painted, with just the silver hydraulic struts to do:

bits.jpg

Finally the remaining, painted components awaiting glue. I accidentally snapped a strut off an undercarriage door, but the broken pitot from my recent Gnat build makes a perfect replacement:

bits2.jpg

Varnish, decals and final assembly is next, followed by some spraying to simulate exhaust staining. I should get this finished just in time!😁

• Like 4

I thought I'd have a quick experiment with the exhaust staining before gluing any bits together. From the box art, I am planning to replicate a pretty dirty Lancaster:

boxart.jpg

I started with a pass of light grey, to see how it looked:

exhaust.jpg

I'm happy with that as a starter. Final construction will continue, then the exhaust staining will be applied at the very end in order to cover decals, undercarriage doors and extended flaps. Access to the inboard side of the nacelles will be tricky once fully built, but still possible.

Edited by Back in the Saddle
  • Like 5

The engines are now attached, which in turn means construction of the undercarriage can begin - the main gear has to be glued to the firewall after the nacelles are in place :

engines2.jpg

I noticed that one of the aerials on the nose was missing, presumably knocked off during general handling. I had a very half-hearted look on the floor, just in case it was obvious - you can imagine my surprise when I immediately spotted it:

aerial.jpg

I can only assume it was too jaggy for the carpet monster to eat it...😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Hi,

Looking good.

I never model in a room with carpet for obvious reasons, but things still get lost on parquet flooring and even lino tiles, though with luck I can sweep them up into my dustpan and recover them usually, but not always - just have to stop my wife using the vac when I am not looking! She did that in my workroom last week and probably sucked up one or two bits I was trying to find.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

Looking good.

I never model in a room with carpet for obvious reasons, but things still get lost on parquet flooring and even lino tiles, though with luck I can sweep them up into my dustpan and recover them usually, but not always - just have to stop my wife using the vac when I am not looking! She did that in my workroom last week and probably sucked up one or two bits I was trying to find.

Cheers

Pete

My “modelling room” has reached the point where Mrs Steve won’t go in, whether or not armed with her damned Dys*ns.  For me the downside is that, for example, it took over an hour to find the port elevator of a 1/72th Wellington that I dropped during our socially-distanced video-conferenced virtual club night last night.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stever219 said:

it took over an hour to find the port elevator of a 1/72th Wellington that I dropped during our socially-distanced video-conferenced virtual club night last night.

I bet it had landed somewhere really obscure though!  At least you found it...

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I bet it had landed somewhere really obscure though!  At least you found it...

On top of the spares box that I’d pushed under my stool; the last I’d seen of it it was heading in the opposite direction🙄😖.

Glad you found your Rebecca antenna too: I was about to offer you my spares when your “found it” post appeared.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stever219 said:

Glad you found your Rebecca antenna too: I was about to offer you my spares when your “found it” post appeared.

Cheers Steve, that would have been appreciated if needed!

Decals are on; so off to the shed now for a satin coat...

• Like 1

Satin coat done, exhaust staining done and final bits of plastic getting glued into place - looks like I will sneak this into the gallery before the deadline. I’m getting better at this! 😁

Hopefully some pictures of the finished model tonight or tomorrow. 👍

• Like 2