Airfix Lancaster B1 (FE)

Work has been continuing on this build whenever I get a few spare moments. The engines are built, apart from the propellor assemblies. I need to spray the internal areas of the inboard engines black, then attach the firewalls which are painted and ready to go. My plan is to attach the engines to the model at the very end, once they are 100% finished (including paint) - I'm hoping this will make masking the wings/fuselage a bit easier. The turrets are also built and will be glued in at the end of the build. The masks from Eduard have arrived and will be a huge help!

engines.jpg

The flap area has received a dirty wash, as has the bomb bay - although that doesn't really show! I will get the bomb shackles painted and attached next, then I'm calling this area done.

flaps.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2020 at 12:09, vppelt68 said:

Nice progress here! V-P

Cheers V-P! It's been a bit quiet on the Lancaster front recently. I've been grabbing a few minutes here and there whenever I can and getting bits done, but nothing to justify an update...

One minor issue at the moment - I have no black paint left! 😲 The pot I bought recently has gone solid and getting a replacement might take a while. In the meantime, masking continues and I hope to get some white sprayed soon.👍

canopy.jpg

First experience with Eduard masks and it won't be the last time - they are invaluable with this much glazing!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

First experience with Eduard masks and it won't be the last time - they are invaluable with this much glazing!

Looks very good. I also used Eduard masks for the first time on a much smaller and less complex Mustang, but I was similarly impressed. They are great.

One minor issue at the moment - I have no black paint left! 

My local model shop are doing mail order. They sent me a "rescue parcel" today of paint and glue.

The Locoshed, Manchester. They have black paint.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Harry.

I have a paint order in the post, hopefully arriving tomorrow👍

In the meantime, I need to turn my attention to the rear turret. Like a muppet, I used the wrong version of the mask 🙄. I should obviously have used the B1 turret masks, which is the version I've built. For some reason I applied the B3 turret mask, whilst wondering why it looked odd! The turret was solidly glued in place before I realised my mistake, but I've persuaded it to come apart so I can work on the transparencies and remove the paint. Any good suggestions for this? White spirit bath or oven cleaner both spring to mind as possible solutions.

Here's how it looks:

turret.jpg

I still have the correct masks on the sheet, so once the paint is off I can re-attach the transparencies and mask them correctly. It has slowed the build down a bit though!😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

To my knowledge the (FE) Lancasters used the FN82 turret with two US 50 cal MG’s. To me, that looks like the correct turret, however I suspect (like my kit)  there are no slots for the MG’s to poke their nasty heads out of! 

Cheers.. Dave 

edit - just read your post again and you’ve used the wrong mask not turret! Sorry for that.

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Now that's a definite Oh :poop: ! moment.

Yep! Currently soaking the turret in Fairy oven cleaner to see what happens. Fingers crossed I have a clean turret tomorrow and can start again.

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

To my knowledge the (FE) Lancasters used the FN82 turret with two US 50 cal MG’s. To me, that looks like the correct turret, however I suspect (like my kit)  there are no slots for the MG’s to poke their nasty heads out of! 

Hi,Dave. Correct turret built, but wrong masks applied to it! As you said, no slots and the guns are glued to the outside... I guess it should look passable when completed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

As you said, no slots and the guns are glued to the outside... I guess it should look passable when completed.

I’m sure it will, however I’ll be drilling mine out so that the guns poke through, what’s the bet I’ll revisit this statement and curse myself for not taking your approach! 
Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

9 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

As you said, no slots and the guns are glued to the outside... I guess it should look passable when completed.

Matt, what is happening to Airfix? No swivelling guns through turret slots??? I'd already spotted that there was no crew provided and you'll be telling me next that the rear turret doesn't rotate! 

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m sure it will, however I’ll be drilling mine out so that the guns poke through, what’s the bet I’ll revisit this statement and curse myself for not taking your approach! 
Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

Good Man, Dave.

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Matt, what is happening to Airfix? No swivelling guns through turret slots??? I'd already spotted that there was no crew provided and you'll be telling me next that the rear turret doesn't rotate! 

No swivelling guns...

No crew...

No rotating turrets...

It still looks like a Lanc though! 😁

• Like 2

I popped the rear turret transparencies in a small jar and squirted in some Mr. Muscle oven cleaner.

When I checked 30 minutes later every drop of paint had been removed, leaving the plastic completely clear.👍

A quick rinse and it is ready for the correct masks. That was a far simpler fix than I had anticipated!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have now taken delivery of some black paint, so work has resumed. I have sprayed the canopy and nose transparencies. I also started to pre-shade the exhaust staining but I think more will be required:

black2.jpg

I also painted the area concealed by the radome(?), remembering to remove the mask over the two lights:

radar.jpg

The bomb shackles were glued into place weeks ago, but I think this is the first image I've uploaded which shows them...

It will soon be time for the top coat of white paint. 👍

• Like 5

On 05/03/2020 at 20:49, stever219 said:

You’ll also need to fabricate the cabin heater air intake fitted above the starboard wing root (or rob the part from a Revell kit) which Airfix don’t provide.  If you have a look at images of PA474, NX611 and FM213/KB726/C-GVRA, for example, you should see what’s needed.

I’ve had a good search on t’internet and think I have the shape of this pretty much sorted. However, I cannot see any good views of the front and back of this item. Presumably there is an opening at the front, but what shape? Also, is there an exhaust vent at the back?

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I will scratchbuild this over the next couple of days. I also need to reposition the anti-ice spray heads...👍 Thanks to @stever219 for the heads up about this inaccuracies.

According to the Hasegawa kit the front and rear opening of the cabin heater is square. You can just make this out (fuzzily) in the example on my kit. 
Cheers.. Dave 

49836612662_6a01d19e0b_b.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

According to the Hasegawa kit the front and rear opening of the cabin heater is square. You can just make this out (fuzzily) in the example on my kit. 
Cheers.. Dave 

49836612662_6a01d19e0b_b.jpg

Thanks Dave, but I think Hasegawa have simplified it a bit.😫

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I’ve had a good search on t’internet and think I have the shape of this pretty much sorted. However, I cannot see any good views of the front and back of this item. Presumably there is an opening at the front, but what shape? Also, is there an exhaust vent at the back?

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I will scratchbuild this over the next couple of days. I also need to reposition the anti-ice spray heads...👍 Thanks to @stever219 for the heads up about this inaccuracies.

I’ve found an image of the heater fairing on PA474 taken from below and behind the starboard wing that I can’t post here due to it being copyright (Fine Art America) showing the outlet to be rectangular but with rounded outer corners.  The inlet is roughly rectangular but with rounded ends and is spaced a couple of inches away from the fuselage.  (Think of the carburettor intake on a late p-Mark Merlin-engined Spitfire and you should be close.). The whole fairing is a bit more involved than initial appearances would suggest, being more curvaceous at the front blending into a rectangle with radiused corners at the rear.  I need to build two for my ASR and FE Lancasters....

In the meantime, I have taken advantage of the good weather and done some airbrushing, getting the matt white sprayed on:

white.jpg

My intention is to fully assemble the four engines and then attach them at the end of the build. Slightly unusual, but it massively reduces the likelihood of me damaging the props! Once the fuselage is completely finished that will also get a coat of white on the top and sides.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been quiet on this build recently as I have been concentrating more on the Seafire GB. However, that is now completed so I'm cracking on with this one again - there is a deadline looming!

I have been sanding a scrap of old sprue to make the heater on the fuselage side above the starboard wing. My first attempt was too skinny but attempt two is looking better - they are both shown below:

heater.jpg

It needs a bit more work but it is getting close to the right shape. Once this is done and glued into place I will get the paint applied.

• Like 6