239 wing motor transport

Tonka84

Hi, question about motor transport for the air wings in italy. In particular this photo that shows what I believe from the markings on the jeep is 244 wing picking up a downed airman from 112 sqn. Is the roundel on the side common Marking with wing number and Would at this point in 1943 squadron transports still carry light stone paintwork and war department registrations from the western desert? I know squadron transport would not get priority for re painting but after the move from North Africa to sicilly to Italy would they normally still carry these paint schemes? 

It is quite possible that the Jeep is still in Light Stone from desert use in 1943.  There was no requirement to repaint all vehicles in the new scheme and colours.  Second line, LOC and support vehicles were allowed to remain in their original colours until repainting was due or necessary.  This is set out in the 1943 MEGO of June.  By the same ruling, vehicles deployed from UK and supplied from Canada in UK colours, need not be repainted unless they were issued to fighting units or required to directly supply those units.

On 07/03/2020 at 17:32, Mike Starmer said:

It is quite possible that the Jeep is still in Light Stone from desert use in 1943.  There was no requirement to repaint all vehicles in the new scheme and colours.  Second line, LOC and support vehicles were allowed to remain in their original colours until repainting was due or necessary.  This is set out in the 1943 MEGO of June.  By the same ruling, vehicles deployed from UK and supplied from Canada in UK colours, need not be repainted unless they were issued to fighting units or required to directly supply those units.

Thanks for that Mike. Any idea on the roundel on the flank? Never seen a marking like it? I'm guessing 244 wing but it doesn't look standard? 

• 3 weeks later...