1/48 - Sword Meteor NF14

WV908

37 minutes ago, 71chally said:

It seems fashionable now to weather and pre-shade the hell out of a subject, sometimes it seems without looking at references first.

I have to admit I'm not a fan either of the current 'fashion' of painting aircraft models as if they were tanks that had spent a hard winter on the Russian front. 'Less is definitely more' when it comes to weathering aircraft models, though admittedly there are exceptions (e.g., some current USN aircraft) where heavy weathering is supported by photographic evidence. The underside in particular of that Meteor is WAY overdone in my view, though it's not my model, so everyone to their own, I guess.....

• Like 3

I recently completed one of these kits. It builds ok, typical short run, the instructions should only be used for assembly guidance as there are horrific errors with the colour and decal directions.

Worth looking carefully at refs before painting and decalling. 

Wholeheartedly agree with the comments about the finish on the review build.

Atb, Steve. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

@stever219 When you first get to the page from the link you should have a translate to English option come up in a box top right of screen, in Google Chrome anyway.

Thanks James.  Sadly on crummy old Safari I’m denied that option.  Further trawling coming up........

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ali62 said:

Peter, glad I could help. The books are fantastic all three volumes all covering different aircraft and era's. I have a feeling you will pay kings ransom money for vol 1 and 2 as they have been out of print for a few years, vol.3 looks as it is still available, but with Roger passing away in August last year this is an end to an era unfortunately.

All the best in the book hunt.

Very sad news that Roger has died - I didn't know that. I had a number of e-mail conversations with Roger over the years and that would explain why he didn't answer my last one. Great guy and superb books. Luckily I have all 3 volumes.

Going back to the NF.14 cockpit - in many of the pictures in Roger's book and others like below - the radar display appears as two prominent white/off white circular displays. Has anyone got any clearer pictures of this area? Could be just light reflecting off the glass but it is very prominent it lots of pictures.

spacer.png

Cheers

Malcolm

Cheers

Malcolm

On 5/16/2020 at 11:13 PM, hopkp said:

I have to admit I'm not a fan either of the current 'fashion' of painting aircraft models as if they were tanks that had spent a hard winter on the Russian front. 'Less is definitely more' when it comes to weathering aircraft models, though admittedly there are exceptions (e.g., some current USN aircraft) where heavy weathering is supported by photographic evidence. The underside in particular of that Meteor is WAY overdone in my view, though it's not my model, so everyone to their own, I guess.....

Horrible finish, frankly. He is evidently a talented modeller, but I don't think he actually looked at a photo of a real NF.14 before he painted it. Two seconds and here's one that tells you what they actually looked like.

Armstrong Whitworth (Gloster) Meteor NF14 1

From flickr.

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 1

Malcolm, I think you're right - those "white/off white circular displays" on the radar are just the result of light reflecting off the glass faces of the instruments. The only time I've ever seen an NF.14 they weren't just white discs, but black dials with white detail and glass faces. No photos, unfortunately - the battery in the camera had died earlier that morning!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Tis a shame we never got a NF.11/NF.13 version of the kit... For me, the NF.14 is cool, but those birdcage canopies on the NF.11/13 (despite being a NIGHTMARE for modellers) are just awesome.

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1