1/48 - Sword Meteor NF14

WV908

I'm planning on building mine as a 64 Squadron plane. Is there somewhere that I can get a list of the serials and letters that they used? I've tried Googling around, but haven't found anything. I have the squadron markings from Alley Cat's NF.12 decals.

Thanks!

Peter

59 minutes ago, Peter O said:

I'm planning on building mine as a 64 Squadron plane. Is there somewhere that I can get a list of the serials and letters that they used? I've tried Googling around, but haven't found anything. I have the squadron markings from Alley Cat's NF.12 decals.

Thanks!

Peter

Hi Peter

I did those decals when I used to own Alley Cat....... I hope to do some new decals as when the world situation changes, these will be released under my new company Aerocraft Models.

Any way here is a list of aircraft 12 and 14's used by 64 Sqn. This list is taken from pg 323 of the excellent Cold War Shield book Vol.1 by Roger Lindsay.

Have fun modelling and stay safe, cheers Ali

IMG_4521

• Like 1

Many thanks for the great intel, Ali! Having used some of your sets, I'm glad you're planning on getting back into the decal business. I've got a Classic Airframes NF.11/13 and your NF.12 nose/tail set, so I'll probably end up with a pair of 64 Sqn NFs.

Now, of course, I'll have to check Amazon and Bookfinder for the book 😀

Peter

Peter, glad I could help. The books are fantastic all three volumes all covering different aircraft and era's. I have a feeling you will pay kings ransom money for vol 1 and 2 as they have been out of print for a few years, vol.3 looks as it is still available, but with Roger passing away in August last year this is an end to an era unfortunately.

All the best in the book hunt.

• Sad 1

You're right about the king's ransom! I could buy a couple of NFs for the price of each volume. Just thinking about the amount of research Roger put into them is mind-boggling 🤪

[Edit] I've managed to piece together the serial and code for WS803 "P" from your NF.12 sheet, the kit's sheet and Xtradecal 48-043, so I'm all set for markings. Now to wait until Sprue Brothers gets the kit in the USA.

Peter

Edited by Peter O

On 4/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, Ali62 said:

I did those decals when I used to own Alley Cat....... I hope to do some new decals as when the world situation changes, these will be released under my new company Aerocraft Models

Excellent news, will this sheet cover other RAF units that operated NF.14s, the trainers and maybe the Ferranti and Rolls Royce examples?

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 11:15 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Still liking the thought of a silver (or light aircraft grey) and dayglo NF(T).14...

WS760 : Meteor NF(T).14 : RAF Acklington September 1965

Image by Geoff Allan on flickr.

To do a T you'll have to change the majority of the rear cockpit equipment fit, add Rebecca aerials, not fit the 3 small electronics cooling intake scoops or rad alt aerials, use the long DV window option from the kit (the short DV window is the one to use for most NF.14 builds, only the T and some late service NF's with 60 out in the Far East seem to have had the long DV mod), and enjoy masking! Nothing really taxing to a half decent kit fettler...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's probably a bit far along for me to do that! As for ref material, ours was one of the NF's visited by Julien a number of years ago for the walkround section of this forum. Both cockpits have been brought up to very nearly complete spec since then,so I'll have to send him the updated interior shots!

53050697-2253793824892647-44475814169007

• Like 3

I just fairly roughly measured my recently arrived '14 kit for overall fuselage length and they may have been a little overgenerous but who am I to snipe?

Full scale: 49ft 11ins   (599ins/1497.5cm)            Kit:  31.5cm (X48= 604.8ins/1512cm)

Not quite the full 17ins extra quoted by many accepted allegedly bona fide references but still a little bit over. This extra widely quoted 17ins added nose length was my worst fear before I received my kit.

Nice kit though and this major worry is now dispelled. Probably most will be quite happy with the small 3mm scale over length.

Discuss.......

Mine arrived this morning direct from Sword, well chuffed and excellent service.  Hoping there will be some after market decals released for this soon to provide more options.

@viscount806x Real length is 49' 11 1/4" or 599.25", in 48th thats 31.71cms. 

Also, does anyone know where I can find a clear image of the rear cockpit of an NF.14, showing the correct fit?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Not impressed.

V.P.

I’m certainly not impressed by the finish on that model, it looks like an escapee from West Malling’s fire dump!  If I’d been 85 Squadron’s boss and found one of “my” aeroplanes out on the line looking like that I’d have been having a very one-sided conversation with the SNCO responsible for first-line servicing.

Is there any way of getting that review translated?  There isn’t an obvious “translate” button on the review page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a whole debate there isn't there!

It seems fashionable now to weather and pre-shade the hell out of a subject, sometimes it seems without looking at references first.

In general Meteor nightfighters were kept pretty clean, I'm not sure that any one variant saw much more than 5 years service in the role.

@stever219 When you first get to the page from the link you should have a translate to English option come up in a box top right of screen, in Google Chrome anyway.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1