1/48 - Sword Meteor NF14

WV908

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Just as well you were posting on BM and not buying from Amazon then.

A friend has five copies of the same Bill Bryson book as a result of inappropriate browsing. We hardly ever mention it :D

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Release expected April 2020

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/swordmodels/posts/208411537238731

https://swordmodel.cz/en/148/150-sw48011-meteor-nf14.html

The plastics parts and decals are complete.Kit will be finished to end of week.

Clear parts including the two types of windshield.

90274348-208410600572158-241839556066803

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 8:28 AM, andym said:

Hard to tell but it looks like it only includes the small intakes not the large bore ones? Will wait till it comes out, will be getting one regardless.

Glad I went for the small bore option on my Airfix F.8 then.

Reminds me a lot of the Sword Lightning two-seater kits!

Could it be that this one also perfectly mirrors the Airfix parts ? Without the open hatches of course!

Will need to check for myself ;)

45 minutes ago, WV908 said:

I know we shouldn't really judge prices on here, but £50? For a Meteor? I balked at £35 for the Airfix F.8 (similarly the Blenheim).

It's Hannants premium price policy... £49.99 + P&P ...   post-B.xit ?

At Sword eshop - 36,67 EUR so £32.00 + P&P

At the Aviation Megastore - 37.95 EUR so £33.10 +P&P

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Homebee said:

It's Hannants premium price policy... £49.99 + P&P

At Sword Eshop - 36,67 EUR so £32.00 + P&P

V.P.

Thanks :) Certianly more reasonable from those other shops. 

I'm used to a slight markup from Hannants, but that is a bit much. Previous comment retracted! :)

Cheers,

WV908 

34 minutes ago, Homebee said:

It's Hannants premium price policy... £49.99 + P&P ...   post-B.xit ?

At Sword eshop - 36,67 EUR so £32.00 + P&P

V.P.

Aviation Megastore is quoting around €16.14 for p&p so around £14.10 to give a total of £47.20.  We’d be saving slightly more than the price of a Humbrol tinlet.

2 hours ago, Branky said:

What is Hannant's P&P??

Price of this kit from Hannants is £49.99, with cheapest postage option it comes to £53.89.

That seems way over board for a kit of this size and complexity

Just gone on Sword EShop, adding the kit to cart,

The kit is 990,00Kc, which I work out as £32.

With postage to UK included I'm getting a quote of 1304.60Kc which I work out as £42.07.

I get that Hannants have to pay import charges, but an £18 price difference on the basic kit price is a bit much.

Coming from within the EU, you will not have to pay VAT nor the £8 handling charge for collecting it.  Next year we will be out of the EU.  VAT at 20% is over £8 so the difference will disappear.  Buy your Meteors now.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Just gone on Sword EShop, adding the kit to cart,

The kit is 990,00Kc, which I work out as £32.

With postage to UK included I'm getting a quote of 1304.60Kc which I work out as £42.07.

I get that Hannants have to pay import charges, but an £18 price difference on the basic kit price is a bit much.

Good luck with it but you still may end up paying more if you get stung for import duty + Royal Mail handling charges....

There is no import duty on models.  There is however the same VAT that all British sources have to pay.  Seems only fair to me.  I do however feel that the handling charge is based on larger business users and a little high for the likes of us.

Can we get back to the Ferrari Meteor?  Bright red with prancing black horse on a yellow shield ahead of the cockpit?  Only a little change from the company demonstrator (although a darker red, I believe) but not a Mk.14, sadly.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

This is a bit sad, I have been SO  looking forward to this model but I agree with the sentiment here. The way things are in the world at the moment, especially in my line of business (airline), I really can’t justify £50 plus for it, especially as their larger Lightning is available for £35 from Hannants.

4 minutes ago, Matt W said:

This is a bit sad, I have been SO  looking forward to this model but I agree with the sentiment here. The way things are in the world at the moment, especially in my line of business (airline), I really can’t justify £50 plus for it, especially as their larger Lightning is available for £35 from Hannants.

Agreed. I fully intend to build one of these at some point but over £40 for something that is going to sit in the stash for a couple of years at least is a bit steep at the moment. 

Well I received my one today.........it took ages to arrive from Sword but we all know and understand why.......

Any way I have done a few spot checks tonight and so far it looks like it fits most of the required points to say it is a good representation of a Mk.14, first ever in 1/48 scale or any scale for that matter that is injection moulded (I know Matchbox, but that was not quite right was it) I am being careful not to say it is perfect BUT it is certainly a good attempt and a great starting point for making one of my favourite aircraft.

So I have taken a few pictures against plans and added some notes to the intake pictures just to clarify some points.

Basically overall length and wing span match drawings done by John Adams (well within a 1 or 2mm), nothing more to say on that, and the engine intakes are large BORE, they do look a little skinny and looked like they were small bore on previous pictures but as can be seen they are almost the same as the Airfix (Mk.8 kit) ones.......maybe a little skinny but of you drill/ sand the bore out a little more they will be almost perfect (well not worthwhile to change in my view) Sizes at front of intake is the outside diameter, so bore can be opened out a little more on the Sword kit.

Hope these help, now I will need to check a few more points and see what little sets / products I can come up with......mmmm maybe 

cheers Ali

IMG_4516

IMG_4517

IMG_4518

IMG_4519

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Well I received my one today.........it took ages to arrive from Sword but we all know and understand why.......

Any way I have done a few spot checks tonight and so far it looks like it fits most of the required points to say it is a good representation of a Mk.14, first ever in 1/48 scale or any scale for that matter that is injection moulded (I know Matchbox, but that was not quite right was it) I am being careful not to say it is perfect BUT it is certainly a good attempt and a great starting point for making one of my favourite aircraft.

So I have taken a few pictures against plans and added some notes to the intake pictures just to clarify some points.

Basically overall length and wing span match drawings done by John Adams (well within a 1 or 2mm), nothing more to say on that, and the engine intakes are large BORE, they do look a little skinny and looked like they were small bore on previous pictures but as can be seen they are almost the same as the Airfix (Mk.8 kit) ones.......maybe a little skinny but of you drill/ sand the bore out a little more they will be almost perfect (well not worthwhile to change in my view) Sizes at front of intake is the outside diameter, so bore can be opened out a little more on the Sword kit.

Hope these help, now I will need to check a few more points and see what little sets / products I can come up with......mmmm maybe 

cheers Ali

Thanks for that, really helpful! (Well, in one way.....very UNhelpful insofar as I'll probably have to buy one now!)

• Haha 1