1/48 Gannet COD.4 Revived - I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF IT BEGONE

SleeperService

Hi Peeps

Way way back when the world was much younger, summers longer, a night out gave you change from a shilling,52 hour shifts in t'mill were a part-time job a foolish SleeperService entered the 70s WarPac/NATO GB with this offering LINKY LINK

Fortunately I found the abandoned project sobbing quietly to itself while stash mining and @rob85 was kind enough to grant it a second chance at life.

As it stands lies scattered on my table top may be viewed below

spacer.png

Hmm table not as clean as I thought <_< However while my Bolly III is in the early sand, prime, inspect, fill, repeat stage I need a reason to avoid chores and this will do :D

I had intended to do a Royal Marines 2CV for this GB but that has been thwarted by my complete inability to find the kit, or possibly even buy it. However that's on the list to be dealt with. So Dear Reader to work.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Oh you always were one that went on looks weren't you !

Great choice never seen a 1/48 version, i have an ancient Frog one where the pilot is split down the middle and comes moulded to each half of the fuselage.

I look forward to seeing you build its posher cousin.

cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, SleeperService said:

Hi Peeps

Way way back when the world was much younger, summers longer, a night out gave you change from a shilling, 52 hour shifts in t'mill were a part-time job a foolish SleeperService entered the 70s WarPac/NATO GB with this offering LINKY LINK

Fortunately I found the abandoned project sobbing quietly to itself while stash mining and @rob85 was kind enough to grant it a second chance at life.

Great intro, good luck getting it finished! 

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have an ancient Frog one where the pilot is split down the middle and comes moulded to each half of the fuselage.

😱 damn 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 7:44 AM, Alan P said:

Great intro, good luck getting it finished!

Thank You. I hope so too.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:02 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice never seen a 1/48 version, i have an ancient Frog one where the pilot is split down the middle and comes moulded to each half of the fuselage.

That sounds rather cruel to me, poor fella will need more than a tot of rum to get over that!

I have spent some happy time on rear cockpit attempt number 'God alone knows' but I think I've got it this time

spacer.png

May seem OTT but will be visible to some extent even if the canopy is closed. It's also good practice for work that will be rather more visible on the Bolly.

spacer.png

Upon investigating why so many issues were arising first time around it became obvious that the 'locating' pegs were rather less use than they seemed. So a happy session saw them all removed and replaced with something more up to the job. OOB the bulkhead behind the second cockpit won't locate correctly. Working from the rear face I cut 90% through at floor level and bent it so that the top and bottom were parallel but offset. A couple of scraps to hold it solid and everything aligned positively. I'm a Happy Bunny.

Finally the wings got a little attention

spacer.png

I modified one wing's undercarriage opening but it had suffered in storage. Using the wing off my second kit (will be an AS.4 one day) I dismantled the resin insert, severely thinned it, and started to rebuild the rear face of both sides. Yes the roof section is almost transparent! However the wheels fit where they should so I think I'm on the right track. Time will tell.

Thanks for looking and (hopefully) massaging my self-esteem :D now I need to find the missing parts I've had to plunder the second kit for...

• Like 5

On 3/12/2020 at 12:02 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Oh you always were one that went on looks weren't you !

cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

I used the wings of that version with a vacform conversion fuselage to make an AEW version donkeys years ago. It actually did not look that bad with the gear up. Had to scratch a cockpit of course. I have the Revell 1/72 trainer version in my stash - got it cheap and it has all the parts for the ASW 4 so that is how I will build it - maybe in this GB depending how all the other builds go.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Apologies for the thread hijack @SleeperService !

Always welcome Pat :D Found the Frog Hurricane today too, what a coincidence ;)

That AEW vacform will need to be pretty extensive your Frog kit may be a better source of parts. Go on you know you want to....

Today I have been filling and sanding and hunting for missing parts. In a more constructive move I shall resume Gannet Wrangling tomorrow.

• Like 1

If you're looking for an unusual scheme for the AS4 don't forget that they were exported far and wide. In Indonesia last week. 

20200223_141758

The shark mouth is a mustang. 

Colin 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Colin W said:

If you're looking for an unusual scheme for the AS4 don't forget that they were exported far and wide. In Indonesia last week. 

Colin 

That's a rapid change of plan for the planned AS.4. Especially as it has the four portholes for the back cockpit.Nice :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Especially as it has the four portholes for the back cockpit.

Be careful to check your references with this one as not all Gannets had 4 portholes

Outwardly there was nothing to distinguish between the two versions of Gannet except that the 2 circular port and starboard holes ahead of the rear cockpit were blanked off on the Gannet AS4, with additional equipment being stowed in this part of the fuselage forward of the aircrewman's seat.  However, it is probable that some AS1s also had these windows blanked out as they threw light from behind the operator across the radar screen.  Many later built airframes were built without the portholes so not requiring blanking plates

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Be careful to check your references with this one as not all Gannets had 4 portholes

..and that goes for pics of preserved Gannets in dubious paint schemes. Indonesian Gannets were originally painted in Sky Type S (Duck Egg Green) not that gaudy green the museum's one is painted in!

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rayprit said:

However, it is probable that some AS1s also had these windows blanked out as they threw light from behind the operator across the radar screen.  Many later built airframes were built without the portholes so not requiring blanking plates

Thanks for that information. The MAM have the first T.2 with all four windows as

spacer.png

from BM's walkround HERE . As my COD will be either XG786 or XG790 I'm preferring the 4 window look for the AS.4 to follow. However when I think I've sorted the porthole issue along comes XG882 with them whereas XG790 seems not to. All very confusing. There are some nice, if sad, images on AIR BRITAIN just to muddy the water.

6 hours ago, AMB said:

Indonesian Gannets were originally painted in Sky Type S (Duck Egg Green) not that gaudy green the museum's one is painted in

I'm glad that you confirmed that, I wasn't 100% sure that was the case. The upper would be XDSG I believe? 

In 48th scale news the Gannet has received more lurve and now lacks her rudder as fixing the rounded leading edge is much, much easier than trying to do it insitu. After @Mike kindly restored the T.2 pictures I've been rescribing the rather variable CA panel lines, hopefully they'll look a lot better now. Thanks to an unknown model-maker at the Newark show a few years back who advised me to do it as he wasn't happy with the OOB detail on his. Some of the kit joints are actually lines of rivets; for example the three panel lines at the rear of the bomb bay. The door edge is the rear angled line, the two just forward are rivets. I'm hoping that my current projects lead to Airfix announcing a Gannet or Blenheim IV at Telford this year in 1/48. I note Hannants have dropped the price of the Blenheim IV so maybe....      

• Like 2

Sometimes a man has to do what he has to do, this is one of those times.

I have just packed the triple-damned Gannet back into the FourBoxesofDoom as it seems determined not to be built. Got the rear structure built checking fit constantly and all seemed good. Today it won't close up and the canopy has shape-shifted over the last few nights.

Sorry for maintaining my near 100% failure rate but I think hammering it into oblivion will end up with me in a padded cell.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Sometimes a man has to do what he has to do, this is one of those times.

I have just packed the triple-damned Gannet back into the FourBoxesofDoom as it seems determined not to be built. Got the rear structure built checking fit constantly and all seemed good. Today it won't close up and the canopy has shape-shifted over the last few nights.

Sorry for maintaining my near 100% failure rate but I think hammering it into oblivion will end up with me in a padded cell.

Sorry to hear this.., Sometimes a switch in kit is helpful. Try one of the Bandai Star wars models they practically fall together and don't need glue. It might just give you a bit of happiness with a string of bad builds. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear this.., Sometimes a switch in kit is helpful. Try one of the Bandai Star wars models they practically fall together and don't need glue. It might just give you a bit of happiness with a string of bad builds. 

Good advice.  After a particularly tricky build I usually do a couple of easy, straight forward kits, keeps the hobby fun.  After all it’s supposed to be enjoyment not a chore. Although there is the sense of achievement from finishing a challenging short run kit, I wouldn’t want to be building them all the time.

AW

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1