Airfix 1/72 Vickers Valiant

Yet another long-term stash lurker.  This is a pretty decent kit and quite an enjoyable build. The only real problem I had was getting the two fuselage halves to fit. Possible muppetry on my part though. Finished in Vallejo white with the kit decals - sort of.

49617262477_c34995e57a_b.jpgn20200304_084749 by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

49617262507_0c6dc7aa62_b.jpgn20200304_084722 by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

49617262542_02e8c4a954_b.jpgn20200304_084659 by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

I think the excellent Airfix kit has revived interest in this lovely aircraft, and it is a total pleasure to see a build like this without being covered in somebody's version of weathering/everyday leaks etc. A handsome model very nicely done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dereknf said:

Thanks for the comments folks. Much appreciated.

Rather embarrassingly, the varnish is actually Vallejo gloss varnish. I'm OK getting flat finishes but struggle with gloss.

Great thanks. It looks perfect if you ask me 👍 I've just been trying Vallejo premium gloss varnish tonight for the first time and quite impressed...not overly shiny

Edited by binbrook87

It's odd, I misted many coats (using about half a bottle!) but found it is still a little tacky even after 48hours. The only bit that peeled was bit of Maskol on the cockpit windows. From a colour point of view, I think it's a bit blue rather than a creamy white.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:17 AM, Dereknf said:

Yet another long-term stash lurker.  This is a pretty decent kit and quite an enjoyable build. The only real problem I had was getting the two fuselage halves to fit. Possible muppetry on my part though. Finished in Vallejo white with the kit decals - sort of.

Beautifully smart Valiant Derek, it looks like the Nuclear Detergent worked.

When I built my first Airfix Valiant I found that the part bulkheads that go into the bomb bay are too wide, quite possibly being sized for the external rather than internal dimensions of the fuselage.  Other than that I had no significant problems, apart from where to put the finished article.

13 hours ago, Dereknf said:

It's odd, I misted many coats (using about half a bottle!) but found it is still a little tacky even after 48hours. The only bit that peeled was bit of Maskol on the cockpit windows. From a colour point of view, I think it's a bit blue rather than a creamy white.

Ive found its the best brilliant white paint. Others have a yellow tint or turn yellow a bit.
I always have the same problem. Airbrushed or brush painted... it always remains tacky and soft. You can even dig your nail into it and remove it. Ive found if a piece comes off, it pulls the rest off, like latex. Also rubs off on edges and certain surfaces.