Baby Blitz...1/48 Junkers Ju188A-2 Rächer, II./KG6

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Don't move any bomb carrier,  they are mounted on strong points to carry the load.  Just remove one and use the other.  They would very rarely use both racks anyway because of the penalty on range.

my dad did that

luckily the underside is black so you won´t really see all the sanding and repainting and missing panel lines afterwards

49812566581_acc6f966c7_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

Well done! Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?

How much EZ Line does your dad have left? If it’s coming to the end of its spool, there are a couple products out there that have surpassed EZ Line, IMO. Infini Aero Rigging and Uschi van der Rosten Rig That Thing are both elastic like EZ Line, however they have a round cross section rather than a ribbon-like cross section.

Thanks for sharing your dad’s progress!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Well done! Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?

How much EZ Line does your dad have left? If it’s coming to the end of its spool, there are a couple products out there that have surpassed EZ Line, IMO. Infini Aero Rigging and Uschi van der Rosten Rig That Thing are both elastic like EZ Line, however they have a round cross section rather than a ribbon-like cross section.

Thanks for sharing your dad’s progress!

Yes, the light is becoming brighter 😄

But attaching the canopy will be tricky. The fuselage parts have some tension, to say at the height of the cockpit the upper fuselage region is a bit warped inwards. Therefore the canopy parts overlap the fuselage 1-2mm. Don´t know yet which glue or adhesive my dad will use for mounting the clear parts. He will have to use some piece to spread the fuselage halves apart when adding the canopy parts.

We know, the EZ Line isn´t really round, especially when you tension it. There´s still a lot of EZ Line left. I once bought UvdR rigging thread but we don´t find it anymore. I´m not sure but if I remember correctly my dad wasn´t satisfied with it because it didn´t bond well to CA glue, whereas EZ Line connects immediately. But I´ll buy a new one to give it another try. Ammo of Mig sells the UvdR threads too under their Mig label and they cost half the price of the original ones, at least here in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck with the canopy! I’m sure your dad will make it work one way or the other. 

That’s interesting about the price difference between Mig and UvdR. I only suggested it if you were close to finished with the EZ Line, it doesn’t detract too much from the overall build. But I guess it wouldn’t be a hobby if we didn’t spend extra money for things that look exactly the same 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

forgot to insert the windows before, afterwards it makes some more work...

49848373933_2b92b66c77_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

landing gear doors done

49849212982_f7d9f6a5d8_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49848905696_14f74f7277_b.jpgDSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

added a piece of sprue to spread the fuselage apart and make the canopy fit

49849212577_3f7431bd21_b.jpgDSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49848373073_be6aba7f98_b.jpgDSC_0005 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49848372868_d0b87acdeb_b.jpgDSC_0006 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Like 3

Your dad is a magician. It looks like the canopy was attached when he painted it. I’d have glue blobs all over the place.

Can’t wait to see the thrilling conclusion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Your dad is a magician. It looks like the canopy was attached when he painted it. I’d have glue blobs all over the place.

Can’t wait to see the thrilling conclusion. 

If possible he attaches the canopies and other clear parts with Micro Klear. The excess is removable easily so you have clean joints. 

Concerning the front canopy piece, as mentioned he would need a piece of sprue to spread the fuselage there too. But there's not really enough free space to insert one. So he will try to glue the front part with plastic glue, squeezing it a bit to match the fuselage width and hoping it works out...