Boeing's "Future Attack Recon Aircraft" unveiled

Slater

Doesn't look as cool as the Apache that's for sure!

Isn't having two tail rotors overcomplicating things? More maintenance and potential to go wrong? Why does it need two?

Anyway, no doubt the UK will order a few once the Americans have introduced them into service. 

The trainer version will have an embarrassing acronym.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Robert said:

It looks more like an helicopter than aircraft.

Regards

Robert

It is a helicopter...……. which is an aircraft? not sure what your point is?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Robert said:

They call it FARA Future Attack Recon Aircraft

Regards

Robert

Yes I'm aware of the acronym, which is correct, it is, after all a future attack and reconnaissance aircraft, just not sure what point you were making? if you see my previous point, by definition, a helicopter is, after all, an aircraft! 

From dictionary.com: "Aircraft"

"Noun, plural air·craft.

Any machine supported for flight in the air by buoyancy or by the dynamic action of air on its surfaces, especially powered airplanes, gliders, and helicopters."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marlin said:

I really like the name. :D 

FARA = Danger in Swedish. 

And I think that will be an appropriate name for this aircraft. 

/Bosse 

To the enemy, or to the pilots / groundcrew..? ;)

Cheets,

Andre

Has this been designed for a specific contract, or is it a proposed product to fill an as yet undetermined future requirement/rfp?  Is the Apache fleet approaching its maximum flying hours? 

Nearly all the points of the vehicle dont really seem that 'revolutionary'. the real-time updates and diagnostics and additional autonomous capabilities are probably the newest thing to the game, but what is meant by that. is it going to be Optionally Piloted, or do they mean autonomous in terms of auto hover, path-finding, ground avoidance etc. It looks like a Comanche 2.0, rather than an 'all new design'.

I feel with recent financial and technical hurdles on a number of ongoing projects, Boeing may not have an 'easy sell' of this to the DOD. Dozens of ongoing, maturing, autonomous helicopter programs, which have the potential to be in the field far faster and for much cheaper. 

perhaps im missing something? 

13 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Has this been designed for a specific contract, or is it a proposed product to fill an as yet undetermined future requirement/rfp?  Is the Apache fleet approaching its maximum flying hours? 

Nearly all the points of the vehicle dont really seem that 'revolutionary'. the real-time updates and diagnostics and additional autonomous capabilities are probably the newest thing to the game, but what is meant by that. is it going to be Optionally Piloted, or do they mean autonomous in terms of auto hover, path-finding, ground avoidance etc. It looks like a Comanche 2.0, rather than an 'all new design'.

I feel with recent financial and technical hurdles on a number of ongoing projects, Boeing may not have an 'easy sell' of this to the DOD. Dozens of ongoing, maturing, autonomous helicopter programs, which have the potential to be in the field far faster and for much cheaper. 

perhaps im missing something? 

This is in response to the US Army's FARA requirement (of which Boeing is one of several offerors) to replace the now-withdrawn OH-58 Kiowa in the scouting role.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slater said:

...this is Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky's candidate:

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/s-97-raider-helicopter.html

Ah! i had seen this beast a few months back! Capabilities aside, the Bell and Boeing designs appear purely conceptual, whilst LM/Sikorsky are there with a second flying prototype. Also seems to have some features ive never seen on rotorcraft before, which look to make it quite a nimble chopper! 

The Bell 360 looks cool though, and the scale modeller in me is impressed with the 360 flyaround model..... now how do i get me one of these in 1/72 :D 

Ah, but as Dassault apparently (successfully) argued to the Marine for their Super Etendard in competition against the twin-engined Jaguar M - the Jaguar M wouldn't be able to stay in the air if one of it's two engines went out...........😉

A valid point about helicopters having two engines. The US Army probably has the most experience (by far) of flying single engine helicopters in combat by way of the Vietnam conflict. This was probably the most intense combat that helos have ever been called on to  participate in. The OH-6A Cayuse was legendary in that war, and the US lost somewhere between 800 and 900 of them. Despite the single engine, it was noted for crew survivability, though. And they kept coming back for more:

z2H7BSp.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Slater said:

The OH-6A Cayuse was legendary in that war, and the US lost somewhere between 800 and 900 of them. Despite the single engine, it was noted for crew survivability, though. And they kept coming back for more:

My favorite helicopter is the Hughes 500 series, and that explains why.