Gordon Stevens/Rareplenes article.

dromia

The current issue of the IPMS magazine has a cracking article by Fred Martin "RarePlane Vacforms ~A Celebration"

Gordon Steven's own article on RarePlanes is pretty definitive but Mr Martins article does add to it so well worth a read for all us vacuum form acolytes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dromia said:

The current issue of the IPMS magazine has a cracking article by Fred Martin "RarePlane Vacforms ~A Celebration"

Gordon Steven's own article on RarePlanes is pretty definitive but Mr Martins article does add to it so well worth a read for all us vacuum form acolytes.

I saw this, I haven't read it fully yet. It looks like an excellent read for all modelkers!

• 2 weeks later...

Living only a couple of miles from him in his early Rareplanes days, I got to know him.

I have to say he was a very nice gentleman, always willing to pass on info regarding building his vacform kits.

I never met the man but I did correspond with him for a while when he first started. I bought one of his first run Seversky P35, his first Rareplane's 500 only, male mould run in late 1969. As a gauche young 14 year old I wrote to him for assistance in construction and he replied readily and fully and I did complete my first vacuum formed model then with his "correspondence course" assistance. Although it is long gone now, from memory it would be pretty rough even by my current mediocre modelling level. That hooked me on vacuum forms and I have been an avid builder ever since. I seem to recall that he only completed the models he did sufficient for the photographs he needed for the packaging and publicity, but as this comes from my memory it is not reliable. I should have his correspondence somewhere but have yet to come across it although I have found my postal order and purchase receipts for my early Rareplane transactions.

• Like 1