Mustang Mk III 1:72

Mustang Mk III from No. 315 Polish Squadron flown by Squadron leader Eugeniusz Horbaczewski at RAF Brenzette

sr1Ze99.jpg

Scale 1:72

Kit Academy P51B

Decals from Academy Kit

Paint MRP

Weathering Flory grey wash, Mig oil brushers, Tamiya weathering masters, AK wethering pencils.

Matt clear coat MRP

Aftermarket, Eduard Canopy mask. Little lens landing light

Scratch built Landing cover from OHP film, Ariel from 0.1mm nickle rod

Part of a quad of Mustangs in the current Mustang group build

o55SSTv.jpg

8GDGTJC.jpg

cj3s0Jv.jpg

t2mXd7t.jpg

QuDX3A0.jpg

rQZIOGD.jpg

aEPbHt0.jpg

oSk24AB.jpg

jPxVp8b.jpg

X4KRVm5.jpg

wGQNJ4h.jpg

u54CNsc.jpg

CPJcrYA.jpg

6jjThd6.jpg

woM8e4O.jpg

bE3BSxb.jpg

cTKmQeN.jpg

Thanks for looking

CT

Mark

• Like 37

Very nice model of one of my favorite WW2 pilots! Nice touch using the whip antenna, which was usually fitted to Malcolm Hood conversions. This is not meant to be a criticism of your excellent build, but as information for the next time you want to do a P-51B/C. The wing guns on those versions were not mounted along the centerline of the wing leading edge, but the outer gun was mounted lower than the inner gun- see the  linked photo. The Hasegawa B/C has its share of issues, but they got the gun ports correct. They also got the upper cowling contours correct, which were broader and flatter over the rocker covers/exhaust than the Academy and Revell kits, which give them as rounded contours. If Hasegawa had molded the correct inner wing leading edge extension/droop correct, as well as proper deep wheel bays with the correct straight mainspar/wheel bay wall correct, they would have had the best 1/72 P-51B/C kit.

The upper nose contours are very hard to pin down, as most photos are not taken from an angle that shows them, but it is very unmistakable when looking at a real example; I have  posted a link to a very well-known wartime photo of a 4th FG P-51D that is one of the best I can think of that shows the upper cowling contours. Note how the edge of the red nose band is flattened at the top and then rounds to meet the spinner backplate at the front.

Mike

http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/images/P/-/P-51_Mustang__baby_full.jpg

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/p-51-mustang/lt-william-groseclose-of-the-335th-fs-4th-fg-p-51d-44-14431-coded-wd-q/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IanC said:

Unlike that awful colourised image of Horba with his aircraft....

Yes its not a good one is it. First one I saw when i was looking for a picture for this thread.

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice model of one of my favorite WW2 pilots! Nice touch using the whip antenna, which was usually fitted to Malcolm Hood conversions. This is not meant to be a criticism of your excellent build, but as information for the next time you want to do a P-51B/C. The wing guns on those versions were not mounted along the centerline of the wing leading edge, but the outer gun was mounted lower than the inner gun- see the  linked photo. The Hasegawa B/C has its share of issues, but they got the gun ports correct. They also got the upper cowling contours correct, which were broader and flatter over the rocker covers/exhaust than the Academy and Revell kits, which give them as rounded contours. If Hasegawa had molded the correct inner wing leading edge extension/droop correct, as well as proper deep wheel bays with the correct straight mainspar/wheel bay wall correct, they would have had the best 1/72 P-51B/C kit.

The upper nose contours are very hard to pin down, as most photos are not taken from an angle that shows them, but it is very unmistakable when looking at a real example; I have  posted a link to a very well-known wartime photo of a 4th FG P-51D that is one of the best I can think of that shows the upper cowling contours. Note how the edge of the red nose band is flattened at the top and then rounds to meet the spinner backplate at the front.

Mike

http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/images/P/-/P-51_Mustang__baby_full.jpg

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/p-51-mustang/lt-william-groseclose-of-the-335th-fs-4th-fg-p-51d-44-14431-coded-wd-q/

That's really useful info Mike thanks for that. I have some more P51 builds on the go at the moment but these ones are too far built for a change like that. Have more P51s in the stash ready to start so it would be worth me making those corrections on those. Incidentally I did come across a picture of the guns a few days ago showing the offset from the LE centre line. All good stuff to know. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Excellent work. Weathering seems restrained and thus visually more pleasing and realistic. Very good work.

Jay

Normally I end up over weathering but in this occasion I decided to stop before getting to the enough weathering point. Knowing I can add more easily but not take it away. Think this stopping short plan worked. Difficult to judge when enough is enough as im sure you know.

Thanks for all the feed back.

CT

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

That's really useful info Mike thanks for that.

Glad to help. From what I have read on various forums and also the P-51 SIG, the new-tool 1/72 KP P-51B/C kits are regarded to be the most accurate basis for a decent Merlin razorback  Mustang at this time. Many of us are hoping somebody will do a state of the art 1/72 P-51B/C . I'm keeping my fingers crossed Arma Hobby or Airfix will grace us with one, or maybe Tamiya will downsize their excellent 1/48 kit and  use the opportunity to correct the wheel bays and cockpit floor, which I think were the only major flaws. I think you did a great job on the weathering and paint on your Mustang, BTW

Mike 

• Thanks 1