Lee-Richards Annular wing 1914, Avis 1/72 injected kit

Questions any modeler knows the answer to:

"You just painted a part of the model. For the sake of argument, let's say it's a cube. Only one face of it needed paint.

You accidentally drop the part. On which of the six faces the cube lands?"

"You are puzzled by this recurrent event (in its many forms) in your modeling experience, so you take the matter to your friend David Smith, the mathematician, who explains to you that the odds are one in six, and that you are exaggerating.

To prove the point, he takes a cube, marks one of the sides, and drops it, about fifty times. He does the math, and truly, verily, the odds are pretty close to one in six.

You go back to the building board, re-paint the part, and perhaps because you are nervous, you drop it again.

It lands on the painted side."

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

The two metal bulkheads that are ahead and behind the engine are scratched, as well as the fuel tank (the smaller one provided in the kit that goes ahead the pilot is the oil tanks):

IMG_8791+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The front wheels were not, as described in the kit, a smaller version of the bigger ones, instead they were wood wheels most likely shod with a metal band, no tires. Thus the front wheels are painted differently:

IMG_8792+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Some of the elements already glued to one side of the fuselage. A front seat was added. An instrument panel is made to be attached to the top cover:

IMG_8793+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The fuselage halves are joined:

IMG_8794+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Questions any modeler knows the answer to:

"You just painted a part of the model. For the sake of argument, let's say it's a cube. Only one face of it needed paint.

"You are puzzled by this recurrent event (in its many forms) in your modeling experience, so you take the matter to your friend David Smith, the mathematician, who explains to you that the odds are one in six, and that you are exaggerating.

To prove the point, he takes a cube, marks one of the sides, and drops it, about fifty times. He does the math, and truly, verily, the odds are pretty close to one in six.

You go back to the building board, re-paint the part, and perhaps because you are nervous, you drop it again.

So true!

AW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Moa said:

Questions any modeler to sping when knows the answer to:

There may in fact be a reason for this. A good number of years ago, the famous British scientist and TV personality, Magnus Pyke, led a team investigating  why a slice of buttered toast almost always lands buttered side down when dropped. They came to the conclusion that it is because a falling item has a tendency to rotate when dropped. Since the said toast is almost always dropped from the same height, roughly waist height, it will always end up in the same attitude. Dropped from, lets say, five feet, it may well end up buttered side up. The same rule will probably apply to your fuel tank as we assume that you are sat at your bench when the problem occurs.

The Betentacled Avenger 👽

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

So true!

Along with the Second Corollary of Modeling which states " The distance a part travels when dropped from the modeling bench is inversely proportional to the size of said part."

Mike

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There may in fact be a reason for this. A good number of years ago, the famous British scientist and TV personality, Magnus Pyke, led a team investigating  why a slice of buttered toast almost always lands buttered side down when dropped. They came to the conclusion that it is because a falling item has a tendency to rotate when dropped. Since the said toast is almost always dropped from the same height, roughly waist height, it will always end up in the same attitude. Dropped from, lets say, five feet, it may well end up buttered side up. The same rule will probably apply to your fuel tank as we assume that you are sat at your bench when the problem occurs.

The Betentacled Avenger 

That experiment, my dear extraterrestrial, was debunked twenty five hundred years before it even took place, by the Greek modeler, philosopher and olive pitter Styrenedes (V century B.S.).

Styrenedes conducted this other experiment:

-He spread butter on one edge of the toast, and it ended up with that edge on the floor.

-He spread no butter whatsoever on the toast, and by the time it splatted on the floor, it already had butter on the side that was in contact with the floor.

-He spread butter on a number of toasts and required the assistance of Discobolus of Spartashire, who proceeded to launch the toasts in Olympic way. All ended up with the butter against the floor.

As you can appreciate, we owe the Greeks far more than we owe the Martians, because, at end, what the Martians have ever done for us?

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Moa said:

That experiment, my dear extraterrestrial, was debunked twenty five hundred years before it even took place, by the Greek modeler, philosopher and olive pitter Styrenedes (V century B.S.).

Styrenedes conducted this other experiment:

-He spread butter on one edge of the toast, and it ended up with that edge on the floor.

-He spread no butter whatsoever on the toast, and by the time it splatted on the floor, it already had butter on the side that was in contact with the floor.

-He spread butter on a number of toasts and required the assistance of Discobolus of Spartashire, who proceeded to launch the toasts in Olympic way. All ended up with the butter against the floor.

As you can appreciate, we owe the Greeks far more that we owe the Martians, because, at end, what the Martians have ever done for us?

But the ancient Greeks didn't have blurglecruncheons. :fight: So there! :tease:

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

The wing has two pips, also present in the drawings in the instructions. My guess is that those were meant originally as locating devices, but no corresponding holes are marked on the fuselage side, leaving you with the task of either driling those holes, or remove them and look at references to figure out where the aft portion of the wing should be situated (not difficult, by the way):

IMG_8801+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8803+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

But the ancient Greeks didn't have blurglecruncheons. :fight: So there! :tease:

Martian 👽

That's Vogon's ya spanner

My concern is why Martians do their first solo in an aerial bog seat?

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

my guess is that they are very nervous and can't find their brown corduroy trousers

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

At least they don't have to check for Dunny Spiders on theirs! And there's another thing, these spiders must be some of the most stupid creatures on your planet. I mean, who in their right mind would set up home somewhere they are going to have their nose within inches of someone's backside? It makes Planet Wibble look positively sane! 

Moa will be so regretting stating this thread in the way he did that he will be screaming for mercy long before it

Martian the Merciless 👽

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Moa said:

. Since the said toast is almost always dropped from the same height, roughly waist height, it will always end up in the same attitude.

An interesting corollary to this is that since a Cat always lands on its paws, a perpetual motion device can be produced by strapping a slice of buttered toast to the back of a cat. As a man of science I totally believe this, however I no longer have a cat on which to test this theory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Marklo said:

An interesting corollary to this is that since a Cat always lands on its paws, a perpetual motion device can be produced by strapping a slice of buttered toast to the back of a cat. As a man of science I totally believe this, however I no longer have a cat on which to test this theory.

Other cats are available but you may have a problem with the Irish equivalent of the RSPCA or indeed, the said cat ripping you to shribbons as you try and strap the toast to it's back.

If Moa was looking for some Premier League drivel on this thread, he is surely getting his wish in spades.

Martian the Ever Practical 👽

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Other cats are available but you may have a problem with the Irish equivalent of the RSPCA or indeed, the said cat ripping you to shribbons as you try and strap the toast to it's back.

It’s the NSPCA, next doors cat is making a play to be my cat but the problem would be finding a sufficiently large piece of toast and how to secure it.

19 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

f Moa was looking for some Premier League drivel on this thread, he is surely getting his wish in spades.

Moa can take it, besides it’s the drivel that makes it all worthwhile ( I think) no wait maybe it’s the modelling. I’m confused 

anyway as an engineer, I love logical but absurd reasoning.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

It’s the NSPCA, next doors cat is making a play to be my cat but the problem would be finding a sufficiently large piece of toast and how to secure it.

I thought you said you were an engineer.

Martian 👽

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:
4 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I thought you said you were an engineer

Indeed I am. The logic of the toast cat thing is sound. However the two premises it’s constructed from are both ( in the real world) completely unsound. However if you ignore that and the laws of thermodynamics then it works.

Actually I’m reading the three body problem at the moment and it may also be influencing my thinking as the key premise seems to be that the laws of physics are not absolute but are regulated by a higher force. It then uses the examples of the shooter and the farmer ( probably better to google that) as examples of how that might work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

I no longer have a cat on which to test this theory.

That's likely because you dropped the poor critter from too high an altitude during the initial testing!

Mike

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's likely because you dropped the poor critter from too high an altitude during the initial testing!

Mike

If only that were so. Poor Pip lived a long and happy life, and at age 22 shuffled off this mortal coil, without ever being strapped to a piece Of toast.

• Sad 1

Just wondering if any modeling is liable to break out? Mind you the drivel is entertaining though most of it is beyond my IQ level lol

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

Just wondering if any modeling is liable to break out?

I was thinking this was intermission and everybody was sneaking out to resupply with snacks and liquid refreshment! (BTW, I just now discovered that Cheeto dust makes a good substitute for exhaust streaks on a Corsair, Hellcat, or Skyraider- ask me how I know!)

Mike

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

Just wondering if any modeling is liable to break out? Mind you the drivel is entertaining though most of it is beyond my IQ level lol

I think the drivel was pretty much guaranteed by Moa himself in his introduction to this thread.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Moa said:

As you can appreciate, we owe the Greeks far more than we owe the Martians, because, at end, what the Martians have ever done for us?

Well they practically invented the Tripod ,popularised Canal's ,and had a top selling musical record in the late 70s !

• Haha 3