F-15E Strike Eagle - Revell 1:48

WIP here:

What ended up being a 4 year build (because it spent most of its time gathering dust or locked away), in the end, I must say I'm extremely happy with the result! 🥳

Things Ive learnt from this build:

• How to do oil streaking stains with oil paints ✔️
  • Stained patches, using oils ✔️
  • post shading aluminum areas ✔️
  • MIG Pigments are good for weathering engine exhausts ✔️
  • MIG landing gear dust gives a nice filter to tires ✔️

I am not happy with

• The main canopy. No matter how much i clean it.. i cannot removes finger stains and fibers from cloth and dust!
  • dust/fibres got stuck onto Klear after dipping session.
  • There is a massive mark where the canopy was attached to spruce.
  • The panel which attached to the main canopy DOES NOT FIT PROPERLY!
  • Gluing canopy to frame was a bit messy
  • Super glue got onto canopy and buffing out was not 100% successful
  • Agama acrylics are sh*t!
  • Vallejo white acrylic is sh*t also

IMGP0010cc

IMGP0015c

IMGP0021c

IMGP0017c

IMGP0025cc

IMGP0026c

IMGP0027c

IMGP0043c

IMGP0049c

IMGP0028c

IMGP0039c

IMGP0040c

IMGP0041c

IMGP0031c

IMGP0034c

IMGP0033c

IMGP0045c

IMGP0046c

IMGP0018

IMGP0035c

IMGP0029c

IMGP0050c

IMGP0052c

IMGP0009

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)
  • Like 53

That is, by miles and miles, kilometers for those of you in Europe, much better than anything I've done or can do. You can be justifiably proud of that. It's very well done.

• Thanks 1

WOW! Just WOW! :yikes:We've all got these nightmare projects and this shows what you can achieve with patience and a vast amount of skill. Stunning.

I've been having issues with white too. My rather obsessive chase led me to white auto primer in a rattle can. Most on the market are acrylic so check. Give it a good shake then two mist coats at about 18 inches about 30 minutes apart. Then a wet coat, when hard smooth down lightly and you're good to go. The paint in these cans is usually the same as used by the manufacturers so they are consistent and usually thoroughly tested. Top coat is another matter though.

But once again WOW!

• Thanks 1

Utterly stunning! 

How do people get so good at painting while mine still always looks like it did when I was about 14! Amazing colour, sheen and weathering on this F-15. 

• Thanks 1

Well Adrian - that is very very nice - beautiful finish and lovely neat decalling and panel line work. Looks very convincing. It looks a really nice kit - Revell seem to stagger from superb to very mediocre very quickly.

The canopy problems you mention are only just discernible in your close up pictures and I'm sure that few, if any, would notice them in real life.

I know that you are striving for perfection and self criticism is good thing - I do this myself and every model I build has many faults - but we learn from them and get better (sometimes!). You can rest assured that your model is as good as or better than most out there. Well done!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Utterly stunning! 

How do people get so good at painting while mine still always looks like it did when I was about 14! Amazing colour, sheen and weathering on this F-15. 

They wern't always good from day one. It takes time, patience, research and criticism.
Also, sometimes I feel you have to be a bit of an artist deep down :nodding:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

WOW! Just WOW! :yikes:We've all got these nightmare projects and this shows what you can achieve with patience and a vast amount of skill. Stunning.

I've been having issues with white too. My rather obsessive chase led me to white auto primer in a rattle can. Most on the market are acrylic so check. Give it a good shake then two mist coats at about 18 inches about 30 minutes apart. Then a wet coat, when hard smooth down lightly and you're good to go. The paint in these cans is usually the same as used by the manufacturers so they are consistent and usually thoroughly tested. Top coat is another matter though.

But once again WOW!

What issues exactly? with vallejo?
White will always be hard to spray. No matter what. Vallejo... always remains soft and tacky, no matter how much i mix it. And comes off really easily!!

36 minutes ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

What issues exactly? with vallejo?
White will always be hard to spray. No matter what. Vallejo... always remains soft and tacky, no matter how much i mix it. And comes off really easily!!

Agree completely about white, it was about three years before I was allowed to attempt it. In model paint I've yet to find a white that really works and stays white. Acrylics generally are softer than many realise and come off easily but Vallejo does seem to be especially poor.

I've now gone back to enamels and had excellent results with Sovereign Hobbies range. Acrylics have their uses but I honestly don't think most model-makers accept that.

• Like 1

When I read about these issues with acrylic paints, it makes me glad that I've stuck with good ol' Humbrol and ModelMaster enamels.  Are enamels difficult to get in the UK or in the rest of Europe?    I do have a few bottles of acrylic paint but they rarely get used.    As a former professional residential/commercial painter, I preferred alkyd (oil-based) enamel for any cabinet or trim work.   For that type of painting, there just is no substitute for oil paint in achieving a beautiful, deep, lustrous finish.  😀

• Thanks 1

Superb Mudhen Adrian. None of the issues you mention come through in the pics but we are always our own worst critics! Lovely to see how well the Revell kit can be turned out in skilled hands!

• Thanks 1

You've done a great job on the Eagle...

The canopy (in the kit, that is) is a let down. I don't know what it is with canopies that seem to deteriorate, moulding-wise, more quickly than the other parts. My Eagle had an awful moulding flaw that ran through the canopy and couldn't be polished out. Revell don't have parts for the Eagle at the moment so the build is stalled.

Your canopy looks very presentable and doesn't detract from a top notch build.

Matt