Revell 1/144 Concorde

2 minutes ago, Shashman said:

Blimey, 50psi is a lot! Now I understand. I rarely go above 20!

I imagine you would have much less control over a can than an airbrush though.

No control, but great for a nice quick even colour.  the Concorde is white apart from the black nacelle.  I've used a can before when painting an aluminium underside to a fighter.

• Like 1

I need some pointers please.  I have decided to mount using some 6mm clear dowel.  Problem is, I have no idea to fix this?  I thought about drilling a hole and gluing it in place with some epoxy.  But then I thought should it be mounted without glue.  Any ideas on best way forward please?

49647906768_6eed268ea7_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Any ideas on best way forward please?

Hi Andy,

Yes this is where a bit of forward planning comes in handy, much easier to do this sort of thing before painting!

I would balance it on my finger to find its centre of gravity then drill a hole there. Ideally if you can drill the hole the exact size of the dowel it should be a tight enough fit to be fairly secure perhaps a blob of blu tack will help? That way you can remove it for transportation.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Andy,

Yes this is where a bit of forward planning comes in handy, much easier to do this sort of thing before painting!

I would balance it on my finger to find its centre of gravity then drill a hole there. Ideally if you can drill the hole the exact size of the dowel it should be a tight enough fit to be fairly secure perhaps a blob of blu tack will help? That way you can remove it for transportation.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, if there is one thing that I have not done in my short model making time is plan, Blu Tack seems a good option as I don't really want to glue in place.

The trouble with mounting on a dowel is that the model will flop towards one side or the other, creating stresses on the hole and fuselage which will lead to a split sooner or later.

Get a tube that fits over snugly over the dowel (or make one out of paper and white glue).

Make a tube sized mounting hole.

Round off the end of the tube so it will fit snugly against the far side of the fuselage after being put in the hole. 

Glue the tube into the fuselage, putting lots of epoxy resin or superglue gel on the end of the tube where it will touch the inside top of the fuselage, and put glue round the tube where it enters the hole.

When dry you can trim the tube where it enters the fuselage and touch up with a dab of white and you have a more secure but removable mounting.

Round off the end of the dowel to make it easier to get it into the tube.

It may also be worth mounting the tube at a slight angle instead of vertical to make it look more “flying”.

Just my 2p worth...

Regards,

Adrian (who has documentation to write but this is much more interesting)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The trouble with mounting on a dowel is that the model will flop towards one side or the other, creating stresses on the hole and fuselage which will lead to a split sooner or later.

Get a tube that fits over snugly over the dowel (or make one out of paper and white glue).

Make a tube sized mounting hole.

Round off the end of the tube so it will fit snugly against the far side of the fuselage after being put in the hole. 

Glue the tube into the fuselage, putting lots of epoxy resin or superglue gel on the end of the tube where it will touch the inside top of the fuselage, and put glue round the tube where it enters the hole.

When dry you can trim the tube where it enters the fuselage and touch up with a dab of white and you have a more secure but removable mounting.

Round off the end of the dowel to make it easier to get it into the tube.

It may also be worth mounting the tube at a slight angle instead of vertical to make it look more “flying”.

Just my 2p worth...

Regards,

Adrian (who has documentation to write but this is much more interesting)

Thanks Adrian, I was concerned about this before I drilled the hole, but luckily there is an inner skin, so the dowel passes through two points, it seems fairly strong, but will do what you've advised if not.

ps, slight pause in proceedings as I've just sliced the top of my finger off cutting the base scheme.

Edited by Andy350
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...