Supermarine S4....

roadrunner

Hello,

someone will know where to find info on the cockpit of the Supermarine S4. I have a lot of books on the subject, but nothing shows the cockpit ...
Pictures of the1/32  Aerotech kit or even a scan of the instructions sheet.

S.

I doubt there are many/any but my money would it would major on a big turn and slip and a lot of engine stuff. Not much room for anything else. I’ll Facebook a Schneider-obsessed friend of mine just in case. Great bloke, the sort that *might* just say (but won’t sadly) ‘oh I’ve got all or the drawings for that one that’ll saved from the skip....

• Like 1

Ok, so, let me first explain about my good friend Stephen. He loves the 1930s and lives in and is restoring a fine Art Deco house in the Wirral. He does not live on the Wirral and happen to buy an interesting house, oh no, he buys the house he has dreamed of and then makes everything else happen, like moving halfway across the country and finding a new job. A true student, and inhibitor  of the times and he is also a huge enthusiast for all things speed record.

So, in his words to start... 

‘A quick check online (always worth a try) googling S4 cockpit brought this up which was fun https://hushkit.net/2019/02/28/the-supermarine-s7-an-exercise-in-whimsy/ ‘ 

which is an interesting read itself and I SO hope that when Steve looks things up in the internet his computer looks like something Jules Verne invented!

His first pass came up with this, and posted under fair use.

spacer.png

it may have been seen already but as Steve says, and I hinted at the beginning, 

‘Have yet to check books but as a first pass I'd say its probably not going to be far removed from the cockpit layout here‘

So, he is on the case.

Melvyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago I decided to go all out and do some detailing to the old Frog 1/72 S6B kit. When detailing the cockpit I was surprised how primitive it was in accommodation terms for the pilot. I'd imagine that the S4 would be little different in its simplicity.

Edited by MilneBay

More from my good friend.

‘I've had a look in everything where I'd expect it to be but no joy I'm afraid - however I'm surprised about just how much stuff I have on the S4! I'd recommend contacting Solent Sky here https://www.facebook.com/solentskymuseum/ or if you can locate a contact for Ralph Pegram (I know he's on here somewhere) then that could be his best bet. Sorry.’

At least we tried.

Melvyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:56 AM, melvyn hiscock said:

I doubt there are many/any but my money would it would major on a big turn and slip and a lot of engine stuff. Not much room for anything else. 

I'd be really surprised if it had any kind of gyro platform, so a slip ball yes, but a turn needle, I doubt it. 

In addition to a slip ball and a bundle of engine instruuments I do think it would have

a wet compass

a sensitive-type altimeter, i.e. one with a hundreds needle as well as a thousands.

an airspeed indicator.

There's really nothing else needed. 

14 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Hello,

I finaly contacr Ralph Pegram, and he send me a cockpit  factory drawing 😃😃

Wow, holy grail.

Can you share it?

Does RP have any more unseen S4 info?

M.