Roden ROD739 - LGOC B Type Bus

Although the "Ole Bill" version of this kit has made an appearance in BM I don't thing anyone has done a WIP on the London General Omnibus version. 

To start the usual box and sprue shots

DSC04062

DSC04063

Should be an interesting build. The decorations are a small waterslide decal sheet and two paper sheets of posters and destinations. The glazing is the small acetate sheet at bottom left.

• Like 5

I've built the Ole Bill version and that goes together really well but you need to be careful with getting the small parts off the sprue, front mudguard stays/starting handle and others, other than that it builds up really well I found!

• Thanks 1

What scale is the Roden kit? Is it in one of the popular military scales?

Airfix made one in 1/32nd scale yonks ago and re issued it as the Ole Bill WW1 troop bus.

A Spanish company OCCRE makes multi medium a kit of the B type bus in 1/24th scale.

I think it is in both Hobbies and Hobbys catalogues.

Sorry just noted that box does not give the scale it's 1:72.

I have built the Airfix one a couple of times and this seems more detailed. The only things missing are passengers and crew.

Will follow if that is OK with you. Already have the Airfix 1/32 kit, and the Revell kit of the Routemaster so this one could be another to add to the list.

Sorry to slightly hiJack your thread Paul, which I will follow with interest; but in reference to other kits if anyone is interested in getting a larger scale version I thought it worth mentioning that MiniArt have just released a  LGOC B-Type London Omnibus in 1/35 and also the military service "Old Bill" version used on the Western Front.

Excellent, albeit pricey, highly detailed kits and more advanced than the old Airfix 1/32versions. Build review here.

Typical... you wait 40 years for another B-Type bus and 2 come along at the same time....:giggle:

spacer.png

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2020 at 12:58 PM, wamwig said:

you need to be careful with getting the small parts off the sprue

Thanks for this comment @wamwig I have certainly taken this on board and will be employing the full rang of cutting tools.

DSC04064

Going through my bits and pieces store I found these

DSC04065

although from the 1920's I don't think they will look out of place on the bus.

• Like 1

Not rushing this one - but progress is being made.

The crew arrived today

DSC04050

Although they are listed as Tram Crew I do not think they will look out of place. alongside the bus.

• Like 3

As this is a WIP thread I assume I had better post some work and possibly progress

DSC04080

Here is the status as of this evening. Main reason  for slow progress is that I have allowed plenty of curing time for the glue between stages.  

One item of interest is that Roden's paint screen does not match the B-Type in the London Transport Musuem, or indeed that of the old Airfix kit. This I am using white rather than Roden's beige.

• Like 2

In @Moa 's thread I seem to have started a discussion about the paints that should be used on this model. In my build I will be relying on two sources:

The old Airfix 1:32nd model - I built hat back in the early sixties (1962 ish?)  and to me the Airfix colours of the time were correct as the model was "just like the real thing"

which would have been before I first viewed the B-Type in the old Clapham Museum of Transport. The second source will be picture I have taken over the years of the preserved  bus and the replicas.  That is Humbrol 19 (red) and white. A quick internet search produced a couple of very good photo's of the Clapham bus taken in 1966 which are on Flickr.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the total disappearance of voluntary duties, non-essential travel and shopping I have found that I am doing less modelling a the moment, not more. Therefore progress on the bus has been very slow - a number of short sessions a day. It is moving on as this photo shows

DSC04083

One task I have ben doing is finally getting around to cataloguing my photographic collection which contains over 9,000 images Most of which are mine but some are my fathers, Mine date back to 1970 and my fathers back to around 1948. In addition I have a few hundred slides I have obtained over the years from unknown sources, Of those around 95% are of no interest to me but within these there was only one picture of a bus - and by an amazing coincidence that bus was the B-TYpe in the old Museum of British Transport at Clapham. This slide is not as good as some of he images on the internet but I thought I'd post it here. It looks as if it was taken through a window.

img045

• Like 1