Signing in

Don't know if it is just my computer acting up or something with the BM site, but having been "permanently" signed in for over a year, it now asks me to sign in every time I visit the site, in spite of the "remember me" box being ticked.

Pete

• 2 months later...

In the FAQ (or similar) topic it states "At the top right you’ll see a number of buttons and text buttons, from which you want to click the “sign in” button, because you’re already a member." Problem is, I do not see a 'Sign in' button. (I signed in using a big button at the bottom of the FAQ topic.) CTRL-F on the home page for 'Log in' and 'Sign in' found no matches.

These days the sign-in button is visible only on the desktop site.  If you look up to the top right, you'll see "Existing member? Sign in" to the left of the "Sign Up" button.

On the mobile versions of the site, the sign-in option is hidden in the Hamburger button, and reads the same as the desktop option above.  What's a Hamburger button?  See below:

1024px-Hamburger_icon.svg.png

If you still have no idea why it's the Hamburger button, think of the top & bottom lines as the bun, with the middle line the burger.  I know, but nevermind, eh?

As an aside, and in answer to the original question about persistence of login, there seems to have been a "ghost bug" over the years that used to pick on a random member and refuse to keep them logged in for a while.  The reason I know that is because I was once randomly selected by the bug and couldn't stay logged in for a while... probably a week or two?  Eventually it just stopped and went back to normal, probably to go and pick on someone else.  We've had several new versions of the software since then, and at least one new server, so all I can suggest is that you try rebooting all your hardware from PC/Tablet/Phone to router, and leave the router off for 5-10 minutes if you don't have a static IP, to see if a new IP address will cure your ills.  I have never seen anyone else complain about the bug, so whether other servers don't suffer from it, or have never found it necessary to contact support about it, I don't know.  I do know that support's first question would be how to replicate the issue, and my response would be a shrug of my shoulders.  We'd have to identify the person, give them that person's credentials, and allow them to try to log in and see if it happens to them.  Knowing that it'll go away shortly makes you just strug and put up with it though, on balance.   If anyone suffers this and is prepared to screenshot, provide additional info and help with the diagnosis, we could try to hunt it down, but whoever it is will have to be fairly well versed in computer-me-bobs things :)

Aha! I can now see the buttons to which you refer, but only when I maximize the window to occupy the full width of my huge monitor. (I am using Chrome under Windows 10.) In my normal viewing mode, with the browser window occupying about half the screen width, no Sign in button is visible. A contributing factor is that I have my zoom set at 150 percent. When I set it to 100 percent, the buttons reappear, but I find all text is too small to read at that setting.