Revell 1/32 Royal Navy Display team

Hi all,

Hot off the bench this afternoon and after a monumental struggle with Revell decals, here's my two Royal Navy Mk3 and Mk8 Lynx helicopters in 1/32 scale.

The Revell kit's are separated by a good few years, the Mk3 came out sometime ago now and the Mk8 just last year. I'm not a Revell fan, I find their kits cumbersome, however I've eaten my words with these kits. The engineering that has gone into them is to be commended, well done Revell. My only complaint would be that on the Mk3 the airframe RWR antennas from under the exhaust and the rear of the sponson fairings are missing, can't see why but they are. On the Mk8 Revell have included them.

The builds are from the box apart from including Scale Warship Models blade fold kits, a brilliant way of keeping these models in a minimal space. The blade fold is a great addition to both kits, very well detailed and easy to assemble.

Now the negative, the Revell decals are poor, very poor. They have the thickness of cardboard and are as easy to install as the said cardboard. I used every trick known to me and even went down to using Tamiya extra thin very sparingly just to make the blooming thing settle down. They're not great but from two feet away I'm reasonably happy. 

I must thank Greg B at this point, after a wanted ad was placed for a second set of Black Cat decals, Greg came to the rescue and shipped a set from the other side of the globe. Many thanks to him for allowing this to be completed.

Rant over and on to the next project before returning back to work.

IMG_1373

IMG_1371

IMG_1375

IMG_1376

IMG_1377

IMG_1380

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

These are fantastic, especially the rotor folds. Looks very effective.

I thought the Lynx was Revell's best large scale kit they've managed to produce to date. Only downside appears to be the decals as you mentioned - you didn't mention another common problem with them, they fade after application and look a bit bleached out. Hasn't taken very much away from your excellent builds though. 

Alan 

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

These are fantastic, especially the rotor folds. Looks very effective.

I thought the Lynx was Revell's best large scale kit they've managed to produce to date. Only downside appears to be the decals as you mentioned - you didn't mention another common problem with them, they fade after application and look a bit bleached out. Hasn't taken very much away from your excellent builds though. 

Alan 

Haven’t seen the fade yet, time will tell though.