WW2 RAF Paint Suggestions

11bravo

On 3/3/2020 at 9:19 PM, Graham Boak said:

Humbrol 30

After thinking Humbrol 30 is useless for most WWII subjects, I was very interested to find out that it's an exceptionally close match to the cockpit green used on some razorback P-47s. I was able to discover this from some excellent images of the 371st FG where the colour reproduction is excellent and very true to life. The reason I know the coloration is close to real is due to the fact that I collect flying kit and clothing and the pilot in the following photo is wearing a B-10 jacket of which I have two, and have handled more through my work. Because I could gauge the closeness of the colour of the B-10 in the photo to not just one but several B-10s (both actual NOS and issued) meant that I was able to see that Humbrol 30 is an exceedingly close, almost perfect match to the green used as an interior cockpit colour.

To cut a long story short, if you're modelling a razorback Jug, Humbrol 30 is an entirely plausible colour to use for the cockpit interior.

spacer.png

Edited by Smithy
Typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We do indeed. When I say we, I mean @Stew Dapple when he donates his annual leave from his real job, my weekends and occassionally my dad. The lids are all airbrushed by one of us as well. It takes a while to do it.

And all along I've had an image of a vast paint refinery automatically mixing and dispensing paint into a speeding conveyor belt of tins and capping them like so many bottles of mayonnaise, and a giant "Colourcoats Towers" office complex with account executives scurrying in and out! You guys deserve a medal and the thanks of modelers everywhere who are familiar with your product. Accordingly, by the authority invested in me by The Republic of Texas and Billy Bob's Barbecue, I hereby confer upon you and your weary associates the Noble Order of the Paint Swatch and all privileges arising therefrom.

Seriously, I had no idea that there were so few involved. I'm impressed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

And all along I've had an image of a vast paint refinery automatically mixing and dispensing paint into a speeding conveyor belt of tins and capping them like so many bottles of mayonnaise, and a giant "Colourcoats Towers" office complex with account executives scurrying in and out! You guys deserve a medal and the thanks of modelers everywhere who are familiar with your product. Accordingly, by the authority invested in me by The Republic of Texas and Billy Bob's Barbecue, I hereby confer upon you and your weary associates the Noble Order of the Paint Swatch and all privileges arising therefrom.

Seriously, I had no idea that there were so few involved. I'm impressed.

You described the results of my lottery win investment plan!

We have another chap who's really a 3rd party who makes what we ask him to in bulk. He's very accommodating but secretly I think he probably finds my fussiness tiresome.

There's also Gill, my wife, who was lying in the bath when I bought Colourcoats from WEM's appointed Liquidator. She is the one who picks and packs all the orders, blows a gasket every time I invent new Coloursets  so she has to find the Adobe Illustrator file I didn't sync to the OneDrive properly so she can print off the labels etc. She hates me. She also hates filling up paint racks for model shows. She especially hates having to put price stickers on hundreds of 3rd party products.

It's a wonder she's still living with me actually when I write down all of my nonsense that she has to put up with...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 4:12 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi John,

I hope??? in about 4 weeks. I think I have it all made. I have a veritable mountain of decanting to do though, and only so many evenings and weekends in which to do it 😢

Hi Jamie,

A lot has happened since your response back on 3/11.   Just wondering if your efforts to get your products out to the US are still proceeding or if (quite understandably), things are now on hold?   

Hope everyone in your world is healthy!

John

25 minutes ago, 11bravo said:

Hi Jamie,

A lot has happened since your response back on 3/11.   Just wondering if your efforts to get your products out to the US are still proceeding or if (quite understandably), things are now on hold?   

Hope everyone in your world is healthy!

John

Hi John,

I'm still working on it, but somewhat slower than I'd hoped. I got some done today, and will get some more done tomorrow. We had wondered why we were getting so many stupid emails asking about when stuff we had in stock would be back in stock, and why we had very few orders this past few days. It turns out that the software our webstore uses has broken itself, deleting all of our shipping categories and showing "Out of Stock" instead of "Add to Cart" on almost everything. Grrrrr. That needs fixed pronto!

38 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi John,

I'm still working on it, but somewhat slower than I'd hoped. I got some done today, and will get some more done tomorrow. We had wondered why we were getting so many stupid emails asking about when stuff we had in stock would be back in stock, and why we had very few orders this past few days. It turns out that the software our webstore uses has broken itself, deleting all of our shipping categories and showing "Out of Stock" instead of "Add to Cart" on almost everything. Grrrrr. That needs fixed pronto!

Thanks for the update Jamie, please keep us posted if you have any ETA on this stuff.    Just to confirm, it's impossible to order your paint from suppliers in the UK and have it shipped to the states?

42 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi John,

Interesting! I think it broke while I was using it. I added one tin to my cart, went to add another and the add to cart button disappeared in an instant and was replaced with out of stock. From that moment, everything else showed up as out of stock. Weirdly, it works (if very slowly) on my iPad.

I didn't do it on purpose, honest!

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You described the results of my lottery win investment plan!

We have another chap who's really a 3rd party who makes what we ask him to in bulk. He's very accommodating but secretly I think he probably finds my fussiness tiresome.

There's also Gill, my wife, who was lying in the bath when I bought Colourcoats from WEM's appointed Liquidator. She is the one who picks and packs all the orders, blows a gasket every time I invent new Coloursets  so she has to find the Adobe Illustrator file I didn't sync to the OneDrive properly so she can print off the labels etc. She hates me. She also hates filling up paint racks for model shows. She especially hates having to put price stickers on hundreds of 3rd party products.

It's a wonder she's still living with me actually when I write down all of my nonsense that she has to put up with...

She loves you but she don’t wanna show it, just tell her that you wanted to take her for dinner tonight but...

I told that to mine last week and she bursted out laughing in tears..

Still a pity that we have just one supplier in the Netherlands for your very nice paints👌

cheers, Jan

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2020 at 11:15 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi John,

Hi Jamie,

Just a monthly check-in.   Any progress to report getting your awesome paint shipped out to the colonies?      

Regards,

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 11:54 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi John,

Nothing yet. About 12 manhours have gone in over this weekend so far on this, but I've had to do a further 10 on day job too this weekend.

Hello Jamie,

Any news on getting your wonderful paints over to the US?   Sorry about all the questions, I hope you don't think I'm a pain.   Just getting close to the point where I've got to start painting my Mosquito and am still hoping I'll be able to use your paint.    On a side note, do you have a distributor in Canada by any chance?

Regards,

John

Given the current Earth situation re: COVID-19, I think we're all just going to have to continue to be patient with the manufacturers, distributors, and vendors of our favorite hobby products, not to mention the various postal authorities and transport companies and courier services. Or, as we say at Space Ranger Academy, "Cool yer jets, cadet!"

Heck, I'd be willing myself to carry out an emergency cargo mission on behalf of Colourcoats and modelers in the U.S. using the Orbit Jet (see avatar), but right now I, my crew, and it are quarantined on Fornax IV, and the food here is disgusting! Ever eat slimeballs in kriptak sauce? Yuck! The FPA (Fornax Pale Ale), however, is quite delightful, with a yeasty aroma not unlike sourdough bread.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Hello Jamie,

Any news on getting your wonderful paints over to the US?   Sorry about all the questions, I hope you don't think I'm a pain.   Just getting close to the point where I've got to start painting my Mosquito and am still hoping I'll be able to use your paint.    On a side note, do you have a distributor in Canada by any chance?

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I'm well on with the thinning but I've some top ups getting made presently. Some which the new gentleman wants were not in the manufacture queue because we were awash with it, then suddenly masses of people well into the Disposable Income years found themselves with Absolutely Nothing To Do and have been cleaning me out - so stuff that was fine isn't now.

This shouldn't have been an issue but my wife did a stock take and "corrected" all the discrepancies between webstore and real life, adding back in all of the paint I had deliberately reserved allowing bored British residents to sweep it off the shelves into their virtual shopping carts. Naturally, that was my fault... It's not that many, but it does include enough of my RN products that the "wave 1" order and customers will not be what it needs to be if we sent it short.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...