Midway SBD

Cookenbacher

If I may ask, what do you use to thin your acrylics for spraying? I see you used vallejo for at least the undersides. I can never get Vallejo to look that smooth, and it clogs the crap out of my brush. This is even when I use their proprietary thinner. 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:04 AM, SoftScience said:

If I may ask, what do you use to thin your acrylics for spraying? I see you used vallejo for at least the undersides. I can never get Vallejo to look that smooth, and it clogs the crap out of my brush. This is even when I use their proprietary thinner. 

For all water based acrylics (Vallejo, Lifecolor, Modelmaster Acryl, etc) I use a mixture of Future ~25%, distilled water ~70%, and flow improver ~5% - percentages not at all scientific. I think the Future helps it self level and make it a little tougher, although water based acrylics are delicate no matter what. Tip dry is always a problem, but thinning helps. I've found that certain airbrushes actually deal with water based acrylics better than others: the Eclipse is the best Iwata for them, the Gunze Creos Procon series of airbrushes are amazing with them (used the 770 with a 0.18 mm needle for the top coats on this Dauntless - very little clogging - unbelievable), for any other Iwata, H&S or Badger I think a 0.4 needle is as small as you can easily go.

I don't like to use alcohol with water based acrylics as sometimes it seems to have adverse effects.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I just saw in the thread that I used the Procon PS-289 with a 0.3 mm needle for the top coat on this on - sorry! I have used the 770 with Vallejo though with no problems:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1