Midway SBD

Cookenbacher

OK, got the masking paint work cleanup done and started adding the fabric to the coaming with some tissue paper.

RMY0lgtg_o.jpg

yXJJFi2g_o.jpg

I noticed that the reference pic I've been using shows that the area under the cowl flaps was bare metal, so masked it up and hoped for the best. Oh, and painted the fabric.

FLZ69SfT_o.jpg

It worked!

Ijlep8N3_o.jpg

Nearly there now.

• Like 15

Wow, I didn't think the tissue would work at this scale, but it actually turned out very realistic :clap2: :clap2:

Also, the metallic ring looks perfect. What paint did you use for that?

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody!

On 4/5/2020 at 9:00 AM, giemme said:

Also, the metallic ring looks perfect. What paint did you use for that?

It's Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum brush painted. I'm becoming more and more impressed with Vallejo Metal Color, easy to use and really does give an nice metal finish.

Well I've been working away on this a little bit at a time throughout the week.

Some red poster paint to fill the dive brakes.

rf4DYg3T_o.jpg

9dPIe75f_o.jpg

At this point in the war, the SBD had blue, yellow and red painted prop tips.

zJAqa8ck_o.jpg

or4s7h6w_o.jpg

All that was left was the canopy and the usual end of build fiddly bits, and I failed to take any pics along the rest of the way.

But, here it is.

PBRWzPdA_o.jpg

I think it's done!

• Like 16

Gorgeous Cookie, just gorgeous :) 

I watched 'Midway' (the new one) again this week and it's made me hanker after a Dauntless, one day.

Good grief, those guys went through some tough times eh?

I hope your veteran likes it and feels able to share some personal stories :) 

• Thanks 1

Wow Cookie, impressive job! :worthy:  I think this isbone of the your bests, so far :clap:

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum brush painted. I'm becoming more and more impressed with Vallejo Metal Color, easy to use and really does give an nice metal finish.

Ah, great, thanks :thumbsup: I definitely need to look into that! I know the shop where I usually go has them; when the lockdown is over, I'll go and see

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Still missing the sliding part of the pilot's canopy though?

The middle part on this build is the pilot's canopy, it's the tallest one. I couldn't fit the the actual middle piece and gunner's canopy because of the scale 6" of glass they each have! I could barely fit the rear gun portion of the canopy underneath. I thought about masking and painting some more rails to represent the missing sections, but figured that might just look messy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah got you, Cookie, I was looking at the instructions on one of the pictures and it showed another piece being fitted to the centre section, I didn't see that you'd gone for the opened option. Agree about the framing, you can't really replicate a frame under another piece of perspex, it would look confusing :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...