Midway SBD

Cookenbacher

Sorry I'm late!

I couldn't decide on a subject for this Group Build, but then a friend at work mentioned that his neighbor is a veteran of the Battle of Midway, having been a rear gunner on a Dauntless flying off the Enterprise. I asked if he thought his neighbor would appreciate a Dauntless model, and he replied that yes he would, but hurry, he's 95 years old!

YGYKYWBa_o.jpg

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Also thanks @rob85 and @Enzo Matrix for all your work on organizing this Group Build.

All the credit goes to Rob.   I just stand back and get a lot of the glory! :lol:   

• Haha 5

Love the Dauntless.  I built a 1/48 version for a Pearl Harbor tribute build a couple years back.  One of my favorite WWII planes along with the Hellcat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

And you have opened my eyes to a kit I didn’t know about, always wanted a good dauntless kit!

It's a repop of the Hasegawa kit. Finding one of those was like finding hen's teeth, so it's worthwhile grabbing one while you can.  I don't know how long they will stick around.

H2K seem to be repopping a lot of good kits.  Their latest are ex-Fujimi Skyhawks.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's a repop of the Hasegawa kit. Finding one of those was like finding hen's teeth, so it's worthwhile grabbing one while you can.  I don't know how long they will stick around.

H2K seem to be repopping a lot of good kits.  Their latest are ex-Fujimi Skyhawks.

Ah that makes sense, they re propped the beaufighter, cheers for the heads up.

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry @rob85 I meant to mention that Hobby 2000 is re-boxed the Hasegawa kit. It's so nice to have a modern 1/72 Dauntless kit available.

The cowling has quite a few parts that are difficult to dry fit, but it all turned out OK.

Y2K5rGwr_o.jpg

I guess I didn't get any pics of adding the wings or stabilizers, but here it is in primer.

OIs0CcFN_o.jpg

rFNLUeBk_o.jpg

And a little pre-shading in Insignia blue.

2olpjXg9_o.jpg

I hope to make some masks for the USN circles and stars and place them first, before adding the top coat.

• Like 16

Cracking work cookie! I watched midway yesterday, so now obviously want to buy a dauntless and will keep an eye out for one of these!

good to see you getting this together and hope your safe a well in these crazy times!

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:34 AM, giemme said:

Great job, Cookie :worthy:

Thanks Giorgio!

I used Lifecolor in my new Creos 289 (not the 770 this time), and it went well - more on that below.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:48 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good!

Thanks Adrian!

On 3/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, rob85 said:

Cracking work cookie! I watched midway yesterday, so now obviously want to buy a dauntless and will keep an eye out for one of these!

good to see you getting this together and hope your safe a well in these crazy times!

I still need to see the new movie, what did you think?

You and your family keep well too Rob!

I broke out the Silhouette cutter and made some masks using a Tamiya masking sheet. I think this will make for better masks than vinyl, but they are really tricky to place because once they touch the plastic, that's where they stay!

OGoy93MG_o.jpg

Vallejo light grey sprayed on the underside.

0n4ZjjO7_o.jpg

Lifecolor USN Blue Grey sprayed on the upper side.

JdI1lKPQ_o.jpg

If you do a web search for Life Magazine photos of the Duantless, there are lots of nice color pics and they all show significant wear and fading, so I slowly added more and more white the airbrush cup as I went along.

• Like 14

Bit late to this one, sorry Cookie, but following now :) 

Very kind of you to make a model for a veteran - I watched Midway recently and thought it was really good - recommended!

Great painting, as usual, and interested to see how those masks work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s some lovely paint work there cookie! And the masks look great!

the movie was good, great action scenes and aircraft. Maybe tried to cover too much, showing the Doolittle raid wasn’t needed, could have been more focused on midway itself and the few minutes that turned the whole battle/war around. Still enjoyed it!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 4:57 AM, giemme said:

How about this Creos 289? Needle size, please?

It's a 0.3 mm needle - I got it to be my new 'general' airbrush for primers and water based acrylics. It works well, it can spray waterbased acrylics (including Lifecolor) at very low pressures with a nice fine pattern.

Painted the white stars:

G2pJb1pW_o.jpg

The reveal:

bcVWfdVv_o.jpg

Now to mask the black code numbers and wing root walkways.

• Like 14

Absolutely bloomin' gorgeous Cookie, superb job.

The stripes, don't forget the tail stripes - they look perfect too! :) 

• Thanks 1

Excellent job, Cookie! :worthy: :clap:

The overall paint job is perfectly balanced and the painted stars are so effective!

And thanks for the info about the airbrush :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

All masked up for the black:

Kl29lXGl_o.jpg

yMumWev1_o.jpg

Masks removed:

E2crodDP_o.jpg

I used a sponge to dry brush, er uh dry sponge(?), some light grey on the walkways.

1pb96G3Q_o.jpg

A little cleanup required, like with all masking jobs, but I'm happy with it so far.

• Like 14