1/144 Avro Lancaster - East Kirkby Heritage Centre

nimrod54

On 22/05/2020 at 14:08, Hockeyboy76 said:

She’s looking nice. Still some challenges ahead. 

Cheers H. I am hoping that I have resolved one of the issues you flagged up. I have opened out the nacelles to make the prop, hub and spinner assembly an easier fit. I am hoping that the alignment issue is due to that assembly hitting the inner face of the exhaust part. I still have to have a look at the undercarriage yet. I was able to fix the missing rib in place this morning using the spare you supplied, that is setting up and I will try to mask up for the black paint later.

On 22/05/2020 at 14:38, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes.. looking lovely, as usual John. She’s gonna be another stunner I reckon. 
Cheers.. Dave

Thanks very much Dave. It's a nice kit which does present a few challenges, but makes up into a lovely little model. Because this one won't be staying with me when it is finished, I think that I will be buying a second one for myself.

Update Time

Now for a very brief game of spot the difference. :winkgrin:

49925625523_330c5134b0_c.jpg

49926440647_a431f69390_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Looks brilliant so far. That bomb-bay is outstanding. 

Just stumbled across this build. I've built lots of 144 Amodel kits and they usually demand some patience (to say the least!) but you're making this look a breeze! Very impressive. I haven't yet built any of the Amodel Lancs in the stash so will definitely be referring back to this thread when I do.

Can't wait to see the painting finished.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:24 PM, nimrod54 said:

Sorry for causing you some confusion Dave @Rabbit Leader, it was just a quick update to show that I had fitted the rib that I had lost (top right), H supplied a replacement. :winkgrin:

It’s very easy to confuse @Rabbit Leader :rofl:

• Haha 2

On 26/05/2020 at 19:15, ajmm said:

Looks brilliant so far. That bomb-bay is outstanding. 

Just stumbled across this build. I've built lots of 144 Amodel kits and they usually demand some patience (to say the least!) but you're making this look a breeze! Very impressive. I haven't yet built any of the Amodel Lancs in the stash so will definitely be referring back to this thread when I do.

Can't wait to see the painting finished.

Thanks for your comment @ajmm, it is a nice kit with a few vices, like part attachment points and some tricky bits of assembly - with the one problem I have had being of my own making (see below).

Looking back at the walk through of 'Just Jane'/NX611 at East Kirkby, I noticed that the upper turret was different, and then further checks of the decal sheet confirmed that it does not have the standard upper turret. The turret on NX611 is fitted around mid-fuselage point, and not as I have it. It is something that I should have picked up sooner, but that is what comes of blindly following the kit instructions (yes some of us do use them :winkgrin:) and not checking references. :headbang: At this late stage, it is not going to be an easy correction to make, so I can either continue to represent Just Jane as planned and live with the incorrect turret, or go for one of the other options I have with a standard upper turret, the choices being Thumper Mk III/ Phantom of the Ruhr from the Kits-World sheet, or Mickey the Moocher from the box.

Whilst I mull over the alternatives, here is an update on progress so far. The upper surfaces were masked off before I sprayed the underside with Citadel's Chaos Black from a rattle can. There are areas to touch up where I have sanded a couple of blemishes and around the radiator intakes, then I can add some clear before I start work on adding the decals.

49948878092_f223d4855f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49948586351_d9963f56b4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have also started work on assembling the turrets, and the first job was to remove the barrels from the guns and replace them with 0.4mm brass tube.

49948088718_2728128525_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

8 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

the first job was to remove the barrels from the guns and replace them with 0.4mm brass tube

Wow! You're really going to town on this!  Lovely work!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot chaps. After the upper turret issue, I have decided to change the subject to Thumper Mk. III which visited East Kirkby with the Canadian Lancaster VR-A as part of a 3 Lancaster Festival in 2014. This is where I am with the build at present, sadly with quite a few little jobs left that will take quite some time to complete, I don't think that I will get it finished for the deadline. I am in the process of fitting the small windows around the bomb aimers position, and I'll continue with that once I have finished this update.

49956980761_9f24e0754c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49957265537_c86127bbb1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49956981336_bd7c296cf8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49956481898_af65266a25_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49956482208_8c015fb469_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

She’s a beauty, I left off all the tiny glazing and used Humbrol clearfix to make them instead. Only works if you have the bomb Aimers front bubble fitted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

She’s a beauty, I left off all the tiny glazing and used Humbrol clearfix to make them instead. Only works if you have the bomb Aimers front bubble fitted. 

Cheers buddy. I am going to use Glue and Glaze for the windows behind the cockpit. I have just finished the small windows around the nose, I had to make some adjustments for the side windows, but the one underneath was a slip fit. I am leaving those to set up, then I can make any final adjustments before adding the bomb aimers bubble. The rear turret has been assembled and, having checked the fit it, looks as though trying to get it in place will be very interesting, I may have to break out ze hammer. :ninja: You may not remember Rowan and Martins Laugh In, here is a link just in case. Arte Johnson used to crack me up.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Murdo said:

That 0.4mm brass tube is surprisingly effective. Cracking stuff!

Cheers Murdo, it is a big improvement over the kit representation.

Having got the last of the clear plastic in place, and the rear turret fit sorted and readied for painting, I've decided to call time for today. That leaves painting of all the framework, the prop blades and a few other ancilliaries to sort before a top clear coat.

This is how things stand now.

49957953547_69533451b1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That looks great. 

22 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks guys. The project is on hold at the moment, I have ordered a masking set for the greenhouse. I managed to mask and paint the rear turret, it took some time so I decided to make things a bit easier for myself for the rest. Royal Mail's tracking is showing that the package should arrive tomorrow, so I should have it wrapped up this weekend.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks guys. The project is on hold at the moment, I have ordered a masking set for the greenhouse. I managed to mask and paint the rear turret, it took some time so I decided to make things a bit easier for myself for the rest. Royal Mail's tracking is showing that the package should arrive tomorrow, so I should have it wrapped up this weekend.

How’s the garden bench project?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

How’s the garden bench project?

Rain stopped play. :winkgrin:

I managed to sand the seat rails and the wood on the back, they have all had a coat of Ronseal. The foreman picked up the paint I ordered today, so I expect that I will be told... err I mean asked to resume tomorrow. :D

• Haha 2

That’s a marvellous result. It is really quite a handsome and faithful seeming replica. Is that the straightforward kit canopy? It looks much thinner and more refined than any other 144 Amodel kit transparencies if so. I’m questioning why I stocked up on a few brengun vacforms...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajmm said:

That’s a marvellous result. It is really quite a handsome and faithful seeming replica. Is that the straightforward kit canopy? It looks much thinner and more refined than any other 144 Amodel kit transparencies if so. I’m questioning why I stocked up on a few brengun vacforms...

Thanks very much @ajmm. All of the transparencies are from the kit, I had a vacform set kindly donated by @Hockeyboy76, but like you, I felt that the kit items looked good, so I dipped them in some clear floor shine available here in the UK from Lakeland and went with those. The mask set arrived today and I am aiming to get those on tomorrow, then I can paint up the frames and get this one finished. I have also purchased a second kit so that I can build 'Just Jane' at some future date, the subject I had originally intended to make.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

You may remember that when the Group Build finished back in June this was how the unfinished model stood. I'm ashamed to say that the model has been hanging around in that state until yesterday when I wrapped all of the little jobs that had been outstanding since. The last job this morning was to add a satin coat, so here is the final result.

50748376751_9e1ed03b82_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50748475497_4e5ae4a349_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50748376646_a12833cb18_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50748376451_21f4b6ff8a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50748376851_c6df006e81_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

I know it's been said before, 1/72 looks like 1/48 etc, but... well you get my drift. A phenomenal model John, really great.

I hope you'll do an RFI, including the bomb bay!

Cheers,

• Like 1