1/144 Avro Lancaster - East Kirkby Heritage Centre

nimrod54

I have added a few more bits of plastic sheet to represent the equipment boxes on the starboard side of the Bomb Aimers position, and I've included the handrail from the cockpit made from 0.2mm wire, along with a small section of square stock to represent the Glycol Reservoir which is positioned against the bomb bay bulkhead. The sole addition to the port side is a rectangular section of plastic to represent the bombing computer. And the final addition to busy up the cockpit area is a small section of sheet material to represent the Flight Engineers panel. At this scale, I think that most of the extras added are a reasonable representation of what is there without going overboard, so the next job is to get things painted up and add the rest of the remaining kit details - before I close up the fuselage and hide it all away. :fraidnot: Still at least I know that it is there. :)

49719291838_565790f3d9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49719291928_1a702e33c8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

Nice work John. I think you now officially have more internal bits in your 1/144 kit than I have in my 1/72 Hasegawa OOB cockpit! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice work John. I think you now officially have more internal bits in your 1/144 kit than I have in my 1/72 Hasegawa OOB cockpit! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks a lot Dave. There won't be much detail to the additions, just a bit of dry brushing and some blocks of colour where needed.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Murdo said:

Small (really small) models often take up far more time and attention than larger ones.

You're right Murdo, and I find it can take more time deciding on what to leave out. There are couple of little fuse panels, lights, switches etc dotted around the bomb aimers position that I have not included.

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

:evil_laugh: I can crack on with my cockpit now. 

Don't forget the Morse key for the wireless operator. :winkgrin:

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2020 at 11:50, vppelt68 said:

Great build on its way 👍. V-P

Thanks V-P, I have painted up the details in line with the walkaround of Just Jane, and they have had a drybrush with some grey, I have also added blocks of colour for some further interest. It may not be in line with A.M. specs but I am happy with it. My plan for the finished model is to pass it on to an Aunt and Uncle as a memory of a day spent touring around the Lincolnshire countryside. Our final stop for the day was at East Kirkby.

49776609593_b359be0630_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49777470522_ae9567ce51_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49777142641_ff5926f852_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Next job is to close up the fuselage, hiding most of that detail away. :shrug: :doh:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I have glued the fuselage together and made a start on cleaning up the joins, the next job is to start adding the remaining etch parts to the bomb bay. I've also made a start on assembling the wings and these have had an initial test fit to the fuselage, there's some more work to do there to get the fit right.

49789069186_9b76a34c41_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49789382132_55c71b0e05_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

Hi John,

microsurgery as usual, and it is captivating.

I can't wait to see you tackle the vacform canopies! Were there windscreen wipers on Lancs? And licence disks in the corner ? They'd better all be there and we will check the peremption date!

Keep on having fun!

JR

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have got back to working on this and have finished a short session having added some of the ribs to the bomb bay. I'll try and get one side finished tonight, but as you can see, it is a bit of a fiddly job.

49871370402_64bc2aaf00_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Johnson said:

Most people probably wouldn't do this at 1/72, never mind 1/144!

Agree 100%.. that’s going to be an amazing level of detail.. cracking job. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 22:17, Johnson said:

Good work John.

Most people probably wouldn't do this at 1/72, never mind 1/144!

Thanks a lot Charlie, I like to push the envelope occasionally.

On 09/05/2020 at 10:49, Hockeyboy76 said:

Those ribs are fiddly, I lost the odd one or two when I built my old one. 

Yep, I know matey. I have lost one, I know the general direction that it headed off in, but I can't find the little rascal. It will probably put in an appearance once I have painted the bay up. :lol:

On 09/05/2020 at 21:59, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree 100%.. that’s going to be an amazing level of detail.. cracking job. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks very much Dave.

On 10/05/2020 at 00:24, Murdo said:

Looking good!

Cheers Murdo. I finished adding the etch today, and because some parts are on the fragile side I have added the doors to protect them. Whilst it looks good, I must have got something wrong in earlier assembly work because I feel that the etch representing the hydraulic rams on the front and rear bulkheads are not sitting correctly on the doors. It is not by much but positioning the doors up against the rear bulkhead leaves a gap at the forward end, so maybe one of the bulkheads could do with a bit of bulking up with a thin section of plastic card sanded to match the fuselage shape.

49878953972_9f9ccf814c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49878113678_443abf779b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

Superb, that bomb bay detail would of driven me round the bend!

Cheers Woody. Doing the bomb bay was OK, I worked in short sessions fixing a few ribs in place at each sitting. That missing rib is bugging me though. :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Woody. Doing the bomb bay was OK, I worked in short sessions fixing a few ribs in place at each sitting. That missing rib is bugging me though. :winkgrin:

I have a spare. 

Check your fit for the props to the hub and hub to the nacels, lots of sanding and not the best fit 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Check your fit for the props to the hub and hub to the nacels, lots of sanding and not the best fit 

Having painted the joins with black paint this morning, I'm now on with the second round of filling and sanding of the nacelles. I still have to look at the props, I need to get my finger out and press on with some of the builds whose deadlines are rapidly approaching, but Mrs N will insist on me making Parsnip & Ginger soup, and bread to go with it. :fraidnot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

but Mrs N will insist on me making Parsnip & Ginger soup, and bread to go with it. :fraidnot:

To be honest, that would get my vote too :nodding:

Cheers

• Haha 1

I have started painting and have brushed on three coats of Dark Earth to the top surfaces, I think a light sanding and a final thinned coat tomorrow should be enough, once that has dried I can get on with the Dark Green. 

49914108997_c341cc9d10_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

After the final thinned coat of Dark Earth on Wednesday evening, I made a start on the Dark Green camouflage yesterday, giving that a final coat this morning. Once it has dried, I can add the missing rib that @Hockeyboy76 has kindly donated to the cause, and then mask up for the black lower surfaces before I start that painting. 

49922622406_5a26e748a0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5