1/144 Avro Lancaster - East Kirkby Heritage Centre

nimrod54

Here is my entry for the group build. I will be using A Model's Lancaster B.I/B.III kit supplemented with a Kits World Warbirds decal sheet to represent one of the East Kirkby Heritage aircraft.

49604295861_049be5cc9a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49604295371_d3a8f1125a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49604296551_f20a36059a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49604296706_0439a23218_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49604551132_a56337133d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49604295736_bf3df041f7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49603790433_0b47a4db20_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here are the kit decals and a set of vac-form canopies kindly donated by @Hockeyboy76 - cheers buddy

49604548887_04e28d425b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49603790763_16784188e6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 16

Another wee build from John that’ll make most larger scale modellers raise their eyebrows at the level of detail that can still be captured in 1/144. Vac formed canopies as well! this will look great I bet.

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

Sorry mate, it was scratch built using an Evergreen (I think) styrene ladder.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that PE in use! I hope it will be built with open bomb bay?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Murdo said:

My apologies John (Nimrod54) didn't mean to hijack your post, just wanted to show a couple of my fave 1:144 planes.

Don't worry about that Murdo, it's always a pleasure to see other modellers builds and especially in 1/144 scale. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to starting this build today, tidying up the fuselage halves, assembling the cockpit parts, then adding a few bulkheads and the bomb bay to the starboard half. I fixed a couple of the etch parts to the bomb bay before fixing that in place.

49705247527_c960ff0a82_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49704928936_eef19e9b14_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49704928781_276daa5897_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The next job will be painting up the interior parts and adding any small details where I can.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Johnson said:

What a great looking kit John. I have to follow this and see where it goes.

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

That's a nice looking kit John.  Are those rubber tyres?

Cheers

It is nice little kit which needs some careful clean up and a check on the fit of parts, for example I had to trim the control column a little more because I felt that it sat too high up when compared to its position against the instrument panel.

This boxing comes with both traditional wheel halves and rubber/vinyl tyres and hubs Cliff.

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice start dude. Enjoy the rest of the build. 

Cheers buddy. I'll do the best I can with the build. I have had a letter today telling me that I need to stay indoors for the next 12 weeks, so time shouldn't be an issue. We are now trying to get our heads around the best way of achieving the impractical guidelines, which isn't going to be easy in a two bedroom bungalow.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers buddy. I'll do the best I can with the build. I have had a letter today telling me that I need to stay indoors for the next 12 weeks, so time shouldn't be an issue. We are now trying to get our heads around the best way of achieving the impractical guidelines, which isn't going to be easy in a two bedroom bungalow.

I’m now off work too, a “furloughed” worker. :bandit:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I've added a table and some boxes for the wireless operator on the opposite side of the bulkhead for the navigator's position.

49708909367_68fd97e98f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hi John,

Looking forward to seeing how the kit goes together.

One thing: I know its 1 144, but in real life, didn't the pilot sit higher than the nav?

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Hi John,

Looking forward to seeing how the kit goes together.

One thing: I know its 1 144, but in real life, didn't the pilot sit higher than the nav?

Regards

Martin

Thanks for your comment Martin.

With regard to the pilots seat, I think that the scale is throwing things out a little. I popped the seat off the floor just to check things out and as you can see the manufacture has raised the seat off the floor by adding feet. I then held the cockpit assembly to the port fuselage half with some blu-tac and dropped the seat back in place and to my eye it looks to be sitting at the correct height, with the top of the seat roughly in line with the bottom edge of the canopy. 

A further issue may be the height of the nav table, the bulkhead has a moulded ridge on it to position the table, but the instructions are a little vague as to the correct location and I have chosen to fit it above the ridge. 

49711532853_9e081cc435_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49711532928_2d709c0440_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

In order to try and give the illusion that the pilot is sitting higher I have added some plastic strip to the sides of the seat to create more of a plinth, and whilst I had the seat off I also added the missing armrests to the seat back, and when I get around to it, the addition of some seat armour will add to the look.

When working in this scale, I like to refine details where possible, and create an illusion of what is there when I can, inevitably because of size constraints it not always possible to get everything in, but your point was a valid one and well worth having a look at, and I hope that my changes have improved the overall appearance.

49712069281_1f1b45bf4d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Incidentally, I am using this excellent virtual tour of East Kirby's Just Jane as one reference source.

• Like 7

That's a very useful virtual tour John, thanks for posting.

One thing I've often wondered about Lancs is the lack of seat belts for the pilots seat. I've seen many pics but none show seat belts. Did they have them? I would have thought so with some of the violent manoeuvres they carried out to escape German night fighters.

I appreciate that at 1/144 they may not appear!

• Like 1

Thanks, John.

Not meant as a criticism, at all, but I do think your changes have made a difference.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Thanks, John.

Not meant as a criticism, at all, but I do think your changes have made a difference.

Regards

Martin

Don't worry Martin, it wasn't taken as a criticism, you were right to point it out and it was worth having a second look at that detail.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

That's a very useful virtual tour John, thanks for posting.

One thing I've often wondered about Lancs is the lack of seat belts for the pilots seat. I've seen many pics but none show seat belts. Did they have them? I would have thought so with some of the violent manoeuvres they carried out to escape German night fighters.

I appreciate that at 1/144 they may not appear!

It's a good tour Charlie, and I like the 360o view of each area. Regarding seat belts, I have been through two reference books and have only found a couple of technical illustrations showing lap straps fitted to some of the crew seats on Mk.10 variants - I haven't found anything fitted on the pilots seat though.