Atlantis: B-36 Peacemaker

22 hours ago, 593jones said:

Probably better than the Hobbycraft kit which managed to get the wing on upside down!

The Hobbycraft B-36 wings are not on "upside down." They have the correct aerofoil shape and it is rightside up on the model. However, if you look at the model head on, the upper wing surface tapers down to the tip where it should be nearly flat from tip-to-tip; the wing has apparent anhedral where it should have dihedral with the bottom wing surface tapering up to the tips. This actually shouldn't be too hard to solve by putting in a shim at the lower wing surface wing root and cutting through the leading edge of the upper wing to allow it to bend upwards. This is much the same fix as can be done to correct the outer wing panel dihedral on the Revell Lancaster. 

I suspect most people won't notice the problem if you do nothing about it, There is not much wrong with the kit otherwise and it is a whole lot better than this reissue, although I'll be getting one anyway so I don't have to build my Revell original.

• Thanks 1

The Hobbycraft kit is still quite sizeable, even for a 1/144 size model.

This re-issue is more in keeping with recent Atlantis B-52 w X-15 and the Revell SSP release of the B-47, a nice trio methinks.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Hobbycraft B-36 wings are not on "upside down." They have the correct aerofoil shape and it is rightside up on the model. However, if you look at the model head on, the upper wing surface tapers down to the tip where it should be nearly flat from tip-to-tip; the wing has apparent anhedral where it should have dihedral with the bottom wing surface tapering up to the tips. This actually shouldn't be too hard to solve by putting in a shim at the lower wing surface wing root and cutting through the leading edge of the upper wing to allow it to bend upwards. This is much the same fix as can be done to correct the outer wing panel dihedral on the Revell Lancaster. 

I suspect most people won't notice the problem if you do nothing about it, There is not much wrong with the kit otherwise and it is a whole lot better than this reissue, although I'll be getting one anyway so I don't have to build my Revell original.

That's actually what I meant, the taper should be on the lower surface of the wing, not the top.  Perhaps I phrased it a little simplistically!

Edited by 593jones

52 minutes ago, 593jones said:

That's actually what I meant, the taper should be on the lower surface of the wing, not the top.  Perhaps I phrased it a little simplistically!

Fair enough!

As I said, fixing the issue shouldn't be too hard using the method I suggested, but this will affect the "sit" of the model on its gear. However, the main gear may need to be extended or the nose gear shortened to get the stance of the model on the ground to look right.

55 minutes ago, ocatlub said:

Comes complete with the "revelling" stand as I remember it!! I had a B-52 at the time.

I too like how Atlantis have engineered a new 'Revell' stand. - Quality!

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Don't care about this box scale B-36.  I just wish someone would re-issue the Hobbycraft 1/144 versions.   Academy are you listening?  

14 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I too like how Atlantis have engineered a new 'Revell' stand. - Quality!

Tommo.

I like the 1 cent saving that is advertised!

https://www.atlantis-models.com/b-36peacemaker1184atlantis.aspx?utm_source=B-36+Peacemaker&utm_campaign=12-8-19&utm_medium=email

Ray

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Do you feel better that's off your chest? 🙂

Tommo

I do, yes.  Thanks for asking.  👍

On 3/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, Ad-4N said:

Don't care about this box scale B-36.  I just wish someone would re-issue the Hobbycraft 1/144 versions.   Academy are you listening?  

Are we sure that Academy has the molds? The kit has never been rereleased since Hobbycraft Canada went out of business. I would have thought that Academy would have reissued the kit by now if they had the tooling, as they did with the B-47 and the B-58.

The B-36 kit reminds me much more of Trumpeter’s kits than it does of Academy’s to be honest. I know that HC had their later kit molds produced in China instead of S Korea. Let’s just hope they resurface someday and that they didn’t get scrapped.

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Are we sure that Academy has the molds? The kit has never been rereleased since Hobbycraft Canada went out of business. I would have thought that Academy would have reissued the kit by now if they had the tooling, as they did with the B-47 and the B-58.

The B-36 kit reminds me much more of Trumpeter’s kits than it does of Academy’s to be honest. I know that HC had their later kit molds produced in China instead of S Korea. Let’s just hope they resurface someday and that they didn’t get scrapped.

You are right, I have no idea who has the molds to the HC B-36, I just know I don't want to pay $90USD on ebay for one.  🙂   I was hoping since Academy re-released the other 1/144 HC bombers, perhaps they would go forward with the B-36.   I live in hope.  👍

On 02/03/2020 at 22:27, Ad-4N said:

If you dont care about this you have no need to mention it or even tell us.

Gents this thread is about this kit, not the Hobbycraft one so please keep it on topic.

Thx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, 593jones said:

No, you said it perfectly the first time. The upper wing slopes down, and the lower wing is basically flat; so YES it is upside down. There is always someone who tries to be a know it all on these forums...

And "it should be easy to correct"? Are you kidding me?????? Just slice some plastic here, and add some there, and add some length to the gear legs, and...  WHATEVER!

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 4:09 PM, Julien said:

If you dont care about this you have no need to mention it or even tell us.

Gents this thread is about this kit, not the Hobbycraft one so please keep it on topic.

Thx

Thank you! I've never understood why some people feel the need to tell us they're not interested in a kit.... None of us really care what you're not interested in.