Revell 1:24 Mercedes 540K Cabriolet A - Completed

Hi guys, so I've made a start on one of my gifted kits, as its been a while since I built a car.  I'm doing this strictly OOB, I'm building this for fun as I'm a modern car guy generally and this wouldn't have been a kit I would have bought, so stock chromed plastic it is.  Open to suggestions on the colour to go for, I'm personally thinking cream rather than white like it is on the box, but I'm also tempted with an old style British Racing Green, or that burgundy brownish colour I tend to see a lot of old cars in.  Cream is currently at the top of my list though at the moment.

This is my first Revell kit, and honestly first impressions out of the box I'm a little underwhelmed. A lot of flash to clean up, and I don't like the way the instructions are written but maybe I'll get used to that.  Also, as you can see circled in the sprue pics below, one of the front bumper mounts was broken off the chassis, and the opposite corner at the rear was broken and came off as it was being mended.  But that could have been down to the previous owners storage, so I won't hold that against Revell, and both bits have been successfully mended.

m8c5WQ4.jpg

wGoHGKP.jpg

ajPxtdh.jpg

bTo0t80.jpg

J6hVP1i.jpg

• Like 5

Well, one of the things I love about working with acrylics is the drying time.  In the space of about two hours I got the white walls for the tyres primed, shot with white, then a gloss top coat.  Then did a little work on the Phantom, that was able to assemble the wheels, as I'm going to build a rolling chassis first, rather than starting with the engine like the instructions say.

yK17g14.jpg

• Like 10

Come on now Revell, that's a terrible gate.  The worst I've ever seen.  Those are 1cm squares for reference.  It was in a real tricky place to get clean leverage without damaging other bits of the chassis.

zXdAxrv.jpg

But its off now.  And its prompted me to order a razor saw for next time.  All sanded smooth(ish), and as many seam lines as I could be bothered to remove (there were lots, in horrible places) gone, thats all chassis and running gear parts primed.  Sharing the block with my Phantom parts awaiting their time.

1MuydbT.jpg

• Like 5

So, chassis parts were painted and then satin coated with Microscale Micro Satin to prevent paint damage during assembly (a first for me as I've only just started using satin and gloss-ish top coats).  The silver was listing in the book as being steel, which i made from a mix of aluminium and gunmetal at a 4:3 ratio, doesn't show in the pictures but it does look slightly duller than the alu fuel tank, and the front springs which I forgot to paint with the steel mix so they are alu.  Can tell in person there is a difference, but not so much on the image.

cMJjaRx.jpg

And we have a rolling chassis.  Annoyingly only one of the wheels has the axle holes bang in the middle, the others are off centre.

Appo3fZ.jpg

qxMoBP2.jpg

n320GPc.jpg

• Like 5

Dry fitted the body to see how its looking and get an idea of the build path going forward.  Shell is a nice clean fit to the chassis

crHMkxw.jpg

oqasGSZ.jpg

The body needs a lot of work though, plenty of flash and some absolutely terrible seam lines, this being the worst one I think

YJzh835.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I was hoping to fit the running boards before painting the shell and attaching it to the chassis later on, so I could fill and blend the lines in to keeps the sleek curves, but it looks like they also help hold the tub in place which is supposed to go in first

PeH8jvg.jpg

However, while testing the fit with the tub in the shell and the running boards on, the tub fell out backwards sliding nicely under the boot.  So there's hope, I'll build the tub after the engine and see if it still slides in from the rear with all its extra pieces of dash and steering column attached.  If so I can then sort the body and boards out as one piece before painting.

• Like 6

While it won't help with blending the lines in, you could fix the running boards to the main body with masking tape on the back which will at least help with keeping the paint colour consistent.

Good luck with the seam lines, they look a bit nasty so watch for them reappearing when you prime. But the fact that everything fits together so well is very promising - certianly looks like you've made a good start.

• Thanks 1

Thanks spiny, good idea and I'll bear that in mind if the completed tub doesn't fit in past the running boards.  Despite how much I seem to be complaining about this kit, I'm really enjoying it.  Its much more flash and seam lines than I ever had to deal with, but once they are sorted everything is a nice fit, which is always my main issue with a bad kit.  If the parts don't fit together then you wonder what the design process was, and if the manufacturer ever actually tried building one.  This once tidied is going together well, so far.

Engine parts have been painted and sating top coated (including the kit chrome to dull its shine down a bit)

Ychzjj9.jpg

And fully assembled

m85ZsKy.jpg

pFGyGO9.jpg

And its a nice fit into the chassis with no issues

915v7lb.jpg

NtWOOgN.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'm no Revell fanboy, but to be fair to them this was originally a Monogram mould, and it dates back to 1963. In light of that, it actually ain't that bad.

Well, that gives me hope for the other Revell kits I have in my stash.  And like I say, once its cleaned up everything goes together well.

Be patient with this kit you should be rewarded with a really nice looking car at the end of it. I was really chuffed with the end result considering the age of the kit.

Cheers

Brian

• Like 2

Very happy with the colour of the interior.  In an ideal world I would have fixed that passenger seat, but this was supposed to be a chill out build for fun so I'm just gonna ignore it.

ObJYHTS.jpg

And in other news, with the running boards taped in place the tub does slide in from the back.  Its a little fiddly, but no issue.  So even though this is a chill out build I can glue, fill and, sand the boards and keep those smooth lines before painting.

5TlTDlL.jpg

• Like 9

I haven't done too much with this lately, been pre-occupied with a DIY project in the living room, and my Phantom that I had been putting off as I'd reached a tedious fiddly bit.  However, the running boards are glued in, and filled ready for sanding when its cured.  And I decided to have a dry fit run of all the body work still to go, and get any sanding and fit sorted prior to painting.  Seems to sit very well as the front, but the hood at the back needed some sanding so it sits flush to the body, and the panel on the back of the hood needed some gaps seeing to so its been filled too after these pics were taken.

OSjru0i.jpg

4jd6b2b.jpg

I've got to say, the more i work on this the more it grown on me, the car that is.  Its looking pretty elegant already...

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so despite home quarantine in place my modelling mojo has taken a big hit, as I'm working from home full time at the desk I normally do my models.  So after a full day in 'the office' I'm needing to get out of here for change of scenery.

But I got back on it this weekend with both this and my Phantom which is close to being finished.  Spent pretty much all Sunday morning making this

qc3ZJvw.jpg

Which is to support the body for painting

LO59OqG.jpg

Seems to work really well and is nice and sturdy so hopefully it can be re-used on other builds later.  The body and convertible hood received primer shortly after, but I've not checked them yet.

• Like 3

Well that worked out well.  I was originally going to build it top down.  But then I wondered if I could make the two hoods inter changeable.  Apart from the hood colour (which I custom mixed a month ago and didn't write down what was in it) running out just as I pretty much finished the closed hood (possibly could have done with another coat, but its passable), I managed to work it so you can swap them.  The arms are super glued to the side of the hos, then clip over the pins on the body.  And bonus, the hood colour looks ace, can't wait to see how it looks when the body is fully painted.

5uDbk70.jpg

cjMJupZ.jpg

• Like 5

Spent quite a long time carefully (or so I thought) masking of the alu stripe down the sides.  Side one came off pretty decent...

yTgGsA8.jpg

Side two however, bugger...

V68oIeT.jpg

Must not have pressed the tape down correctly.  Not a bad recovery, looks fine to the naked eye, not so great up close on the monitor...

BhE7qJT.jpg

• Like 1