Airfix Lanc - R5570 - EM-F 207 Sqn (Finished)

woody37

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Did you not paint under the rear end of the cockpit canopy before sticking it on the fuselage? That area should be Dark Green camouflage colour.

Chris

Yes, I did that last night before gluing the canopy on. This is where it's at tonight. The other thing I did was cut the nav lights out on the wing tips and flitted clear parts

spacer.png

Next step is to add some post shading to the dark earth before masking and doing the green. I want to achieve a similar effect to the Manchester I did a few years ago, also of 207 Sqn...

spacer.png

• Like 16

You had me scared there for a mo! In the pictures you had posted pre-paint, the canopy was always sitting on the fuselage. I thought maybe you had forgotten to paint that area. I almost :poop: myself!

Chris

• Haha 4

I can see that this is going to be another stunner Neil :coolio:

Going back to post #24, do you get a benefit from spraying the interior green over the small side windows?  It's not something that I would do, but maybe I should!

Cheers

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dogsbody said:

You had me scared there for a mo! In the pictures you had posted pre-paint, the canopy was always sitting on the fuselage. I thought maybe you had forgotten to paint that area. I almost :poop: myself!

Chris

It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done something like that 😂

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

I can see that this is going to be another stunner Neil :coolio:

Going back to post #24, do you get a benefit from spraying the interior green over the small side windows?  It's not something that I would do, but maybe I should!

Cheers

Cheers Cliff. I do it as a precaution so that if anything, green paint will get down the side of the window and be visible rather than primer grey. I have had the grey on show in the past, not an issue if the interior is silver or grey, but more obvious with a green or black interior

cheers

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Got the camo on the upper surfaces now so should have the night black on tomorrow. The colours have come out a bit strange on some of the photo's. If you look carefully, there's a subtle effect on the paintwork. This is an attempt to replicate the way light reflects across the deformed panels. It will look better once under a matt coat similar to the Manchester and with the black on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking at photo's, the ailerons tended to fade quicker on the fabric surfaces so these have been lightened a touch too

spacer.png

• Like 18

That looks just stunning Neil. Would you mind revealing the paints you’ve used so far, they look very nice. By the way, always good to see your Manchester again. 
Cheers.. Dave 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That looks just stunning Neil. Would you mind revealing the paints you’ve used so far, they look very nice. By the way, always good to see your Manchester again. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave, cheers. I've used my usual, Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green 2, Mr Hobby Dark Earth H73? The label is damaged so can't read it! On the bottom I've used Tamiya XF-85 Rubber black as it has the slight blue hue that night black had so I believe. 

spacer.png

I need to tone the reflection effect down a bit before giving it a coat of gloss over the black so I'll get than done in the morning. I've now got the next two months off work, not the best of situations but there's opportunity in every challenge, mostly in scale form hopefully! That said, I'm sure the missus will say the opportunity comes in 1/1 scale painting 😂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still got the smaller bits to paint yet, bomb doors, gear doors, flaps etc but its getting there :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 16

Dang! I like those colours. I've got some Gunze-Sangyo H72 and H73 that I'll be using on my Airfix Hurricane., so it's nice to see one of those being used. That Dark Earth looks good, one of the best I've seen on a kit in a long time. I also have that Tamiya colour so I'm set. Just waiting for winter to end and to see just how the world ends up. What a crap parade life has become!

Chris

• Like 2

Gawd... that’s beautiful Neil! Thanks for the paint info and must admit that’s my favourite ‘straight from tin’ Dark Earth as well. The Tamiya Tyre Black is of interest and certainly looks the part. Sorry to hear about your two month lay off, however it might be what we all need to recharge the batteries! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

When I first started using Acrylics seriously a couple of years ago I popped into my local "Antics" hobby shop with a view to buying, amongst other things, Tamiya Dark Green and Dark Earth. Can't remember if they were out of stock, but one of the staff asked me what I was looking for. When I explained he showed me a pic on his phone of a Lanc he had used he Gunze/Mr Hobby colours on and it looked good so I bought them instead. The are fine, although a little lighter than my old Humbrol/Extracolour enamels. I used them on my BoB batch of 3 Spitfires, 3 Hurricanes and a Defiant and am pleased with them.

Hurri2

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Dang! I like those colours. I've got some Gunze-Sangyo H72 and H73 that I'll be using on my Airfix Hurricane., so it's nice to see one of those being used. That Dark Earth looks good, one of the best I've seen on a kit in a long time. I also have that Tamiya colour so I'm set. Just waiting for winter to end and to see just how the world ends up. What a crap parade life has become!

Chris

Life has got a bit weird but it's restored a simplicity that had been lost. Our street has set up a WhatsApp group to support each other. It's sad that it takes something like this for people to come together but also quite pleasant.

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Gawd... that’s beautiful Neil! Thanks for the paint info and must admit that’s my favourite ‘straight from tin’ Dark Earth as well. The Tamiya Tyre Black is of interest and certainly looks the part. Sorry to hear about your two month lay off, however it might be what we all need to recharge the batteries! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers Dave. I'm getting finances sorted out bit by bit so actually looking forwards to it now, it's not often that you get this amount of time off work and there is some money still coming in. Nothing to do but enjoy it!

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

When I first started using Acrylics seriously a couple of years ago I popped into my local "Antics" hobby shop with a view to buying, amongst other things, Tamiya Dark Green and Dark Earth. Can't remember if they were out of stock, but one of the staff asked me what I was looking for. When I explained he showed me a pic on his phone of a Lanc he had used he Gunze/Mr Hobby colours on and it looked good so I bought them instead. The are fine, although a little lighter than my old Humbrol/Extracolour enamels. I used them on my BoB batch of 3 Spitfires, 3 Hurricanes and a Defiant and am pleased with them.

Cheers

Pete

Yes, when I moved from Xtracolour I noticed that too. I think the lighter acrylics look more realistic given a scale effect.

Managed to get the decals on this morning. One thing I've noticed in photo's is that the red has an orange tint so I did some trials and Xtracolour Easy Jet Orange painted over the top gives quite a close match. The squadron codes look to be thicker than those shown in photographs of the actual aircraft but it's all I've got so there's a bit of a compromise there. The double wing lines were cut individually as past experience leads to the decal film in between silvering. Additional to this, I massaged Johnsons Klear in to them with a fine brush. Done carefully once semi-dry, this gets the Klear under the decal eliminating any silvering from occurring

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 16

56 minutes ago, elger said:

it should be illegal, Neil, how good you make your RAF heavies look

You'll be put inside too then! Hows yours coming along, I haven't seen any updates since riveting the fuselage or have I missed some?

6 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I am simply admiring those engine nacelle / wing joints. Not a blemish out of  line, considering those I am dealing with on the older Airfix (but I'm coping ). . .

A lovely looking job . . . 

Those wing joints fought a bit to be honest Ian, not the easiest part of the build, particularly because they are so prominent.

Cheers

That tip about the walkway lines is probably going to be useful with my Lincoln - I have 2 sets of old Frog decs available which I will probably use assuming they still work.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

You'll be put inside too then! Hows yours coming along, I haven't seen any updates since riveting the fuselage or have I missed some?

Those wing joints fought a bit to be honest Ian, not the easiest part of the build, particularly because they are so prominent.

Cheers

Ha! Cheers! Yeah it's coming along really well - decals on, some weathering coming up this weekend:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

That tip about the walkway lines is probably going to be useful with my Lincoln - I have 2 sets of old Frog decs available which I will probably use assuming they still work.

Pete

Hi Pete, the back up plan was to paint them and just used the lettering if things didn’t work out with the lines. I used some deco decal set before applying the clear as it evaporates quite quickly

1 hour ago, elger said:

Ha! Cheers! Yeah it's coming along really well - decals on, some weathering coming up this weekend:

Wow mate, that’s amazing, don’t know how I’ve missed all them updates, I thought you had stalled a bit with the new family addition. Applying all those rivets and etch must of drove you mad! Well worth it though :)

10 hours ago, woody37 said:

Wow mate, that’s amazing, don’t know how I’ve missed all them updates, I thought you had stalled a bit with the new family addition. Applying all those rivets and etch must of drove you mad! Well worth it though :)

Thanks - yeah it really does transform the whole look of the Airfix kit. And thankfully Oscar is turning out to be a pretty perfect baby thus far. He's been sleeping well (relative for a baby) during the night from the start and the last few months napping during the day has become easier and easier. We are counting our blessings!

I'm working from home now with the Covid19 thing (or, as someone put it, I am at home during a global pandemic trying to work - which really is a better way to put it) and one huge positive thing to come out of that is that I've got to spend a lot more time with the little fellow :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Put simply... can I vote now? 
Cheers.. (an admiring) Dave 

Ha ha,

I'm getting some uninterrupted time at the bench although I think the missus would prefer I was contributing more to the house than a bit of plastic!

12 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

You make it look so easy, so it must be easy for you! What a fine Lancaster on its way, love it.

You just see the polished bits here, not the faffing that can go on with bits that shouldn't need faffing with, mostly own goals but also fighting the soft plastic on these kits. Those bomb bay doors needed some manipulation!

9 hours ago, elger said:

Thanks - yeah it really does transform the whole look of the Airfix kit. And thankfully Oscar is turning out to be a pretty perfect baby thus far. He's been sleeping well (relative for a baby) during the night from the start and the last few months napping during the day has become easier and easier. We are counting our blessings!

I'm working from home now with the Covid19 thing (or, as someone put it, I am at home during a global pandemic trying to work - which really is a better way to put it) and one huge positive thing to come out of that is that I've got to spend a lot more time with the little fellow :)

Glad little Oscar is settling in well to this new and broken world. Whilst it's a dreadful time, make the most of your time with him, it's not often you get to do that. I had a few months when my youngest was about 3 between jobs and so glad I made the most of it. Now, he's 14 and barely gives a grunt!

Bit more work on the Lanc today. Started the weathering and painting some of the smaller bits. I had to cut the cross member on the main landing gear legs so that it would squeeze in to the gear bay as it is meant to drop through the top. I'd glued the top parts (nacelle / wing fillet) in place early on in the build to allow some filling and sanding. The benefit of the soft plastic is that I could bend the gear legs into the narrow gap without anything snapping. Once in place, everything was glued with Tamiya Extra Thin.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is to paint the main wheels then stick the gear and bomb doors in place. Also, the exhaust staining needs to be airbrushed on too. This will be done before gluing the wings on. Those bomb bay doors are fiddly on a Lanc!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12