Airfix Lanc - R5570 - EM-F 207 Sqn (Finished)

woody37

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

No apology needed Davey. When you get back to them , can you post some pics of the AML set? I’ve only seen photos of the box, not the actual parts. I’ve got an aeroclub set left but can’t see us getting anymore of them now that John has retired. I like the desert schemes, so looking forwards to seeing it :)

Here you go.  The set has new radiators, props, wheels, some intakes and tailwheel fairings, also etch belts and bits.  Markings for two aircraft are also included. I've shown the one I'm doing, I got the camo mask set so I can get the wavy top line somewhere near!

Apparently it doesn't fix a problem with the whole of the engine nacelles, but I'm not that fussed to be honest and wouldn't have known any different.

I have separately the props, wheels and radiators for the desert one I'll be doing.

Who'd of thought, a Halifax raiding a Lancaster build thread!

Davey.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Another absolute corker there Neil,...... a brilliant companion to your 207 Sqn Manchester! 

Well done mate,

Tony

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:42 PM, DaveyGair said:

Here you go.  The set has new radiators, props, wheels, some intakes and tailwheel fairings, also etch belts and bits.  Markings for two aircraft are also included. I've shown the one I'm doing, I got the camo mask set so I can get the wavy top line somewhere near!

Apparently it doesn't fix a problem with the whole of the engine nacelles, but I'm not that fussed to be honest and wouldn't have known any different.

I have separately the props, wheels and radiators for the desert one I'll be doing.

Who'd of thought, a Halifax raiding a Lancaster build thread!

Davey.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

Sorry Dave, I've just seen this, thank you for sharing, it looks a pretty good set.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:41 AM, tonyot said:

Another absolute corker there Neil,...... a brilliant companion to your 207 Sqn Manchester! 

Well done mate,

Tony

Thanks mate :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Neil @woody37,

I'm about to start my first ever Lancaster, so I've been looking around on BM for ideas and inspiration. Well, yours is the best I've found by some margin. The painting and general finish are superb, if I can get anywhere close I'll be chuffed.

I think what makes a difference, to my eye anyway, are the rivets. I'd love to attempt that, but what did you use? Any tips most appreciated.

Cheers,

On 5/19/2023 at 11:40 AM, Johnson said:

Hi Neil @woody37,

I'm about to start my first ever Lancaster, so I've been looking around on BM for ideas and inspiration. Well, yours is the best I've found by some margin. The painting and general finish are superb, if I can get anywhere close I'll be chuffed.

I think what makes a difference, to my eye anyway, are the rivets. I'd love to attempt that, but what did you use? Any tips most appreciated.

Cheers,

Thanks Charlie, appreciate the comments :)

I generally put a coat of Tamiya primer on first to check for imperfections and help to see the riveting work. Once done, I draw the lines first to get the layout right. I don't go for accuracy, just a general look and obviously straight. I remember Spencer Pollard once suggesting that he starts by applying a line across the middle of a panel, then another across the middle between that line and the edge of the panel and so on to ensure an even spacing of lines and this works well for me. Once done, going over with the riveting tool with quite a lot of pressure to ensure they remain after painting. I've used different types of riveting wheels. The smaller wheeled ones are easier to control and get closer to the edges of other surfaces, but with this one, I used an RB wheel that is bigger (15mm diameter) and sits in a Swann-Morton handle. The only issue I have with this is because the wheel is slightly bigger, it can flex and wonder off the drawn line, one of the many reasons that the obligatory swear box is required! Certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert in this field, I just aim for artistic accuracy. hope that helps?

Cheers

Neil

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 4:01 PM, woody37 said:

hope that helps?

Most certainly Neil, thanks.

I'll look for a riveter, and then a few trials will be a must.

Cheers,

PS.

Sorry Neil - another question! Can you recall what the pitch or spacing of the rivets you used?

Thanks.

Edited by Johnson
Another Question!